Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faster downloadspeeds? And a lesson about your Wi-Fi password.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Faster downloadspeeds? And a lesson about your Wi-Fi password. Empty Faster downloadspeeds? And a lesson about your Wi-Fi password.

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 21 Aug 2016, 08:39

****Disclaimer****
What I'm about to describe could be illegal, depending on your specific case and/or your local laws. Use at your own risk.

Ok so I don't have the greatest internet connection at my place, my downloadspeeds are abysmal to be fair. Not much can be done about that, it's my location in the neighbourhood that prevents me from getting anything faster. It's a pain in the you know where.
Furthermore, my modem hates Utorrent and shuts down after 20-60 minutes, another pain in the you know where, since I have to reset the modem all the time and if I'm not paying attention, I could lose precious time.

Yesterday I was fiddling around with something. Some time ago (probably a year or 2), before I had my own ISP, my downstairs neighbour kindly let me use his Wi-Fi. I decided to connect to his Wi-Fi to gain at least some momentum during the times my own modem goes down. My own connection is, of course, cabled.

And lo and behold, my downloadspeed increased by 40-60%! 

So what can you do? If you have "free Wi-Fi access" nearby, in the form of a legit free service, or a neighbour who has neglected to password-protect his Wi-Fi (or has the dumbest password ever), you can do this too. Note that "borrowing" an unsuspecting neighbours' Wi-Fi probably isn't legal.

You only need to be connected to your own modem by cable, and enable the Wi-Fi on your PC.
Results will vary, it'll depend on the Wi-Fi owners' internetspeed.

So, there you have it! The possibility to maybe increase your downloadspeeds and a lesson learned: Change your Wi-Fi password every now and then Laughing
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Faster downloadspeeds? And a lesson about your Wi-Fi password. Empty Re: Faster downloadspeeds? And a lesson about your Wi-Fi password.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 21 Aug 2016, 13:51

♥️✿Ɛɗιη✿♥️ wrote:
****Disclaimer****
What I'm about to describe could be illegal, depending on your specific case and/or your local laws. Use at your own risk.

Ok so I don't have the greatest internet connection at my place, my downloadspeeds are abysmal to be fair. Not much can be done about that, it's my location in the neighbourhood that prevents me from getting anything faster. It's a pain in the you know where.
Furthermore, my modem hates Utorrent and shuts down after 20-60 minutes, another pain in the you know where, since I have to reset the modem all the time and if I'm not paying attention, I could lose precious time.

Yesterday I was fiddling around with something. Some time ago (probably a year or 2), before I had my own ISP, my downstairs neighbour kindly let me use his Wi-Fi. I decided to connect to his Wi-Fi to gain at least some momentum during the times my own modem goes down. My own connection is, of course, cabled.

And lo and behold, my downloadspeed increased by 40-60%! 

So what can you do? If you have "free Wi-Fi access" nearby, in the form of a legit free service, or a neighbour who has neglected to password-protect his Wi-Fi (or has the dumbest password ever), you can do this too. Note that "borrowing" an unsuspecting neighbours' Wi-Fi probably isn't legal.

You only need to be connected to your own modem by cable, and enable the Wi-Fi on your PC.
Results will vary, it'll depend on the Wi-Fi owners' internetspeed.

So, there you have it! The possibility to maybe increase your downloadspeeds and a lesson learned: Change your Wi-Fi password every now and then Laughing

I allowed myself to edit your post and put the warning notice in bold red.  alien  The "free" WiFi often has bandwidth limitations though, so you probably won't be able to do any big downloads. Other than that, I wasn't aware of/never thought about this. Thanks for sharing !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Faster downloadspeeds? And a lesson about your Wi-Fi password. Empty Re: Faster downloadspeeds? And a lesson about your Wi-Fi password.

Post by Guest Sun 21 Aug 2016, 14:16

When using your neighbours bandwith gives you faster downloads it means that you have a slow contract with your own provider.
Nothing to do with location in the neighbourhood as apparently your neighbours do have faster internet.
Updating via your - or if necessary an other - provider could do the trick but most probably will cost you more moneywise.

When my neighbours with a 40Mbs subscription log in on my 150Mbs internet connection they will of course notice an extreme difference in speed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 21 Aug 2016, 17:09

Tarac wrote:Nothing to do with location in the neighbourhood as apparently your neighbours do have faster internet.
Hi there,

That doesn't necessarily have to be true.
From what Edin explains, it seems like her PC is somehow splitting the bandwidth between her own connection and her neighbour's. (I personally didn't know that was possible either, so don't ask me how that works)

So let's say her maximum download speed is 20 Mb/s and her neighbours is too, then she could theoretically get 40 Mb/s download speed total: 20 Mb/s goes via her own bandwidth and the other half goes via her neighbour's. Of course that's a bit exaggerated, but you get the point.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 21 Aug 2016, 19:03

Tarac wrote:When using your neighbours bandwith gives you faster downloads it means that you have a slow contract with your own provider.
Nothing to do with location in the neighbourhood as apparently your neighbours do have faster internet.
Updating via your - or if necessary an other - provider could do the trick but most probably will cost you more moneywise.

When my neighbours with a 40Mbs subscription log in on my 150Mbs internet connection they will of course notice an extreme difference in speed.

Actually, no. I used to have the most expensive contract with KPN and I had the same abysmal speeds. It all depends on the technology used and distance to the distribution center. I can never get more than around 10Mb, so it's really no use paying more. In my case, it's worse because of the location inside the house.

And when I say abysmal, I mean really REALLY bad. On my neighbours Wi-Fi, I get between 400 Kb/s and 600 Kb/s. On my own cabled connection, I top at between 900 Kb/s and 1Mb/s. The two combined topped at about 1.6Mb/s, averaging 1.3-1.4Mb/s.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Aug 2016, 20:57

I tried it out on my PC where I enabled wired + WiFi and both adapters seem te be working effectively.
So yes, combining these two via 2 different modems/routers and 2 different internet connections could increase the speed.

Don't you have Ziggo/UPC in your area as 10 megabits/sec is only 1,25 megabytes/sec.
With my Ziggo 150 megabits contract I seldom reach more than 16 megabytes/sec as many downloadsites do not permit you full bandwith.
Your downloadspeed really is abysmal in this day and age.

Rally around in your village for glassfibre !

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 21 Aug 2016, 21:03

I always like to say: Patience is a virtue.
Plus, I don't intend to stay here for much longer than I need to. I'm already looking to move Very Happy
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)