Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faster Downloads? [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Faster Downloads? [SOLVED] Empty Faster Downloads? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Wed 03 Sep 2014, 23:31

I currently have cable internet I can't remember exactly how many megs down maybe 6-7. Anyways whenever I'm downloading via torrent my speeds are dial-up speeds. lol like 600.0 kb/s or less

I am kinda smart with computers but this stuff not really. Is there anything I can do to make it faster? I have bandwidth on unlimited. BTW I'm using BitTorrent to download. Maybe I should try a different torrent program? But I don't know any other ones besides BitTorrent.

Back to top Go down

Faster Downloads? [SOLVED] Empty Re: Faster Downloads? [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 03 Sep 2014, 23:36

Summerbear5 wrote:I currently have cable internet I can't remember exactly how many megs down maybe 6-7. Anyways whenever I'm downloading via torrent my speeds are dial-up speeds. lol like 600.0 kb/s or less

I am kinda smart with computers but this stuff not really. Is there anything I can do to make it faster? I have bandwidth on unlimited. BTW I'm using BitTorrent to download. Maybe I should try a different torrent program? But I don't know any other ones besides BitTorrent.

//MOVED

Hello Summerbear5,

Do you happen to know about any speed limitations of your ISP contract ? "Unlimited bandwidth" doesn't necessarily mean "fast speed". Usually, it means that there are no "real" restrictions as far as how many Gigabytes of stuff you download.

First, check this topic here and see if it helps you:

https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t11496-how-to-speed-up-fix-utorrent-downloads-guide

Good luck ! Smile 

//EDIT

I also have "unlimited bandwidth" right now, but my upload and download speeds aren't that good, even with the guide the Admin wrote about the optimal settings for uTorrent...because of my current contract with my ISP, which doesn't allow for higher speeds.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 00:01

Thank you Carlos, Sorry I was in the wrong category.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 04 Sep 2014, 00:10

Summerbear5 wrote:Thank you Carlos, Sorry I was in the wrong category.

No problem. As an interesting sidenote, I actually asked the ISP (long time ago, lol), what is meant by "unlimited bandwidth". And in my case, it was like this here:

The ISP basically said I could download and upload as much as I want. As long as my internet activities didn't "stress the resources and infrastructure of the network", I would be fine. I personally don't think that a "normal" person can ever download/upload so much as to "destabilize" the network infrastructure, but yes. Razz

In any case, you should definitely contact your ISP too, about specifics of your contract, if you're unsure. Do post back on here, if you want ! Smile  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 22:06

I followed that tutorial to the T and it's even slower than before at 20kb/s hehe.

Don't know what to do. Anyway to reset BitTorrent back to default settings?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 04 Sep 2014, 22:20

Summerbear5 wrote:I followed that tutorial to the T and it's even slower than before at 20kb/s hehe.

Don't know what to do. Anyway to reset BitTorrent back to default settings?

Don't do that please. Smile  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the guide the Admin wrote. Just because it seems slower now it doesn't mean that it's the guide's fault. Razz

A possible explanation is that there aren't that many seeders at this point - you ALWAYS have to make sure to try downloading at different times of the day. Next, if you're using WLAN internet, also keep in mind that bad weather can temporarily influence internet speeds and connections too.

You may even try plugging out your WLAN router out of the power plug. Leave it plugged out for about a minute, before plugging it back in. See if that helps too.

It's also possible that your router has taken some damage, in which case you may have to get a replacement (contact your ISP, if applicable ?). Good luck again !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 22:29

I'm not saying anything was wrong with the guide, I think maybe it's something on my end... I'm trying to download a movie it has 18289 seeders. I am not currently having bad weather in my area. However I did change some settings on the router because I opened the port forwarding for BitTorrent. Going to unplug the router and let it refresh.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 04 Sep 2014, 22:39

Summerbear5 wrote:I'm not saying anything was wrong with the guide, I think maybe it's something on my end... I'm trying to download a movie it has 18289 seeders. I am not currently having bad weather in my area. However I did change some settings on the router because I opened the port forwarding for BitTorrent. Going to unplug the router and let it refresh.

OK, I assumed you thought that, because you suggested to revert the torrent settings back to default...but yes, you can leave the settings as they are ! Smile  

Do post back here and good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 22:45

Speeds are back up so I think restarting the router helped. Thank you for all your help!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 04 Sep 2014, 22:49

Summerbear5 wrote:Speeds are back up so I think restarting the router helped. Thank you for all your help!

Nice ! Smile  Do make sure to actually test it for a little more while...

In the meantime, do you have any other questions for now ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Sep 2014, 14:59

No other questions ty.

Mod edit: problem solved, topic closed.

- Carlos

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top