Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linkvertise wants me to disconnect from my VPN before I can continue to downloads

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Linkvertise wants me to disconnect from my VPN before I can continue to downloads Empty Linkvertise wants me to disconnect from my VPN before I can continue to downloads

Post by Guest Fri 13 Dec 2019, 18:57

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this; I couldn't decide where would be best, and nothing turned up when I searched it so I assume the mods here don't know about it. This must be a new thing, obviously. Logically, I know Linkvertise/magnet links shouldn't inherently tip off anyone's ISP, but it makes me wary. Is there any risk involved in disconnecting from a VPN long enough to get the magnet link (and then turning it back on to download, of course)?

Back to top Go down

Linkvertise wants me to disconnect from my VPN before I can continue to downloads Empty Re: Linkvertise wants me to disconnect from my VPN before I can continue to downloads

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 13 Dec 2019, 21:04

astrogeist wrote:Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this; I couldn't decide where would be best, and nothing turned up when I searched it so I assume the mods here don't know about it. This must be a new thing, obviously. Logically, I know Linkvertise/magnet links shouldn't inherently tip off anyone's ISP, but it makes me wary. Is there any risk involved in disconnecting from a VPN long enough to get the magnet link (and then turning it back on to download, of course)?

Hello @astrogeist,

This thing was not there when I made the announcement earlier today, so it must have been introduced literally just a couple of hours ago.

There have been problems in the past with people getting through the Linkvertise, because many VPNs nowadays use fancy custom ad-blocking features. Now it seems Linkvertise are enforcing it. I tried it on my ProtonVPN, switched to different servers, but of course the Linkvertise wouldn't let me. #sadtrombone

Now, someone on here is probably going to ask "but how do Linkvertise know that I am using a VPN?". The answer to that question is the same as to the question why e.g. Netflix and other streaming services normally do not allow viewing their stuff through a VPN connection. It's because the IP-addresses of VPN servers are usually static (they don't change), and therefore these IP-addresses of VPNs are known to the public. So Netflix just keep IP-blocking those VPN servers. And I guess Linkvertise are now catching up on the train as well.

Makes sense, since VPN connections are considered 'less valuable' for online advertisers, generally.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no risk whatsoever if you pass through the Linkvertise with your home internet, and just before you start the actual download, turn your VPN back on. I know this is a touchy subject, because using VPNs has a lot to do with personal trust. And if something prompts you to "de-acticate VPN", then that can cause unpleasant reactions from people. Which again, I fully understand.

I'm going to message ~Ann~ about it, but I don't think it is a setting that can be simply switched off. So in the end, it will depend on you (and others) whether you trust our word and/or the Linkvertise service.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Linkvertise wants me to disconnect from my VPN before I can continue to downloads Empty Re: Linkvertise wants me to disconnect from my VPN before I can continue to downloads

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 13 Dec 2019, 21:22

Hello,

I understand your concern, but I wouldn't worry about it.
If our ad providers formally know what we're doing here, and tip off people's ISPs, they're technically implicating themselves for aiding "criminals".
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 16 Dec 2019, 00:29

Hold up a sec, did Linkvertise remove that feature again? Because I'm connected to my ProtonVPN, and I'm not getting the prompt to "disconnect the VPN" anymore.

Maybe that was some kind of test run, I don't know. But it's to be expected this will come back again sometime later.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezer Bunny Mon 16 Dec 2019, 03:24

Yes, the prompt about turning off the VPN is gone for me too! tongue
Freezer Bunny
Freezer Bunny
The real one.
The real one.

Favourite games : The Sims games

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 16 Dec 2019, 08:20

Freezer Bunny wrote:Yes, the prompt about turning off the VPN is gone for me too! tongue

Still OK for me as well, but let's see what other users might say. In the meantime I'll slightly amend the red notice on top of the latest TS4 announcement.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top