Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help with buying new graphics card

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help with buying new graphics card Empty Need help with buying new graphics card

Post by Guest Wed 14 May 2014, 16:47

Okay I've decided to grab a new card for my desktop pc. I've got sims 3 running on both my laptop and my desktop and noticed it runs better on my laptop, but can only assume it's the graphics card causing the low frame rate as when the world loads it misses frames as it goes along, skipping. This is with the settings on low to medium. The only thing I've got set high are the sims texture and details themselves. 

My desktop has: Win 8.1 with 8GB RAM but only a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS with 256MB. 
I've only got the base game installed and:
Supernatural EP
Island Paradise

My laptop has: Win 8.1 with 4GB Ram and an Intel(R) HD Graphics card.
I have the base game and all the EP's and Stuff packs installed with loads of CC and it only lags slightly due to the CC.

I was thinking of buying this card for my desktop pc: 
EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card 

• 520 MHz core clock
  • PCI Express 2.0
  • 1024 MB 64-bit DDR3 memory
  • 600 MHz memory clock and 1230 MHz shader clock
  • 8 CUDA Cores
  • 8 CUDA Cores. Max Analog : 2048x1536, Max Digital : 1920x1200

Do you guys think the 1GB is enough to stop the sims 3 from skipping and slowing down?

Back to top Go down

Need help with buying new graphics card Empty Re: Need help with buying new graphics card

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 14 May 2014, 17:38

killercolors wrote:Okay I've decided to grab a new card for my desktop pc. I've got sims 3 running on both my laptop and my desktop and noticed it runs better on my laptop, but can only assume it's the graphics card causing the low frame rate as when the world loads it misses frames as it goes along, skipping. This is with the settings on low to medium. The only thing I've got set high are the sims texture and details themselves. 

My desktop has: Win 8.1 with 8GB RAM but only a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS with 256MB. 
I've only got the base game installed and:
Supernatural EP
Island Paradise

My laptop has: Win 8.1 with 4GB Ram and an Intel(R) HD Graphics card.
I have the base game and all the EP's and Stuff packs installed with loads of CC and it only lags slightly due to the CC.

I was thinking of buying this card for my desktop pc: 
EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card 

• 520 MHz core clock
  • PCI Express 2.0
  • 1024 MB 64-bit DDR3 memory
  • 600 MHz memory clock and 1230 MHz shader clock
  • 8 CUDA Cores
  • 8 CUDA Cores. Max Analog : 2048x1536, Max Digital : 1920x1200

Do you guys think the 1GB is enough to stop the sims 3 from skipping and slowing down?

Hello,

Have you made sure that the dimensions of both cards are similar (I was too lazy to google that Razz ). But the new card should of course fit into your computer tower too...in case of doubt, do some research on that. The next thing is the power supply issue, but in your case, both cards (7600 GS + 8400 GS) seem to require a power supply of "at least 350 Watts", so I assume you shouldn't have to buy a new power supply.

In my experience though, the Sims 3 is not THAT heavy on the GPU, but rather on RAM and the CPU too. On my old desktop back home (Intel i3@ 2.93 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, and the old GeForce GT330 with ~768 MB memory) I can play TS3 with all expansions and all store content fluently on high settings...you also have to make sure that your operating system is a 64-bit one, so that it can actually use 4 GB of RAM or more. Lags in games can have a variety of reasons, and don't necessarily have to be related to the hardware.

Hope this helps you a little bit ! Smile   

//EDIT

So yes, with that new card, you should be able to enjoy The Sims 3 more fully. Wink  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Need help with buying new graphics card Empty Re: Need help with buying new graphics card

Post by Guest Wed 14 May 2014, 18:01

Their both PCI-E. From what I understand the 2.0 is backwards compatible with the 1.0 though it may not give me the full power i was hoping for?

Well after opening up my tower I found out I've got a 305W power supply. (not a typo, actually 305 not 350)
so the new card should work on it yes? Or would it be easier at this point just to get a new tower?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 14 May 2014, 19:20

And this is the point at which replacing single components in a (desktop) computer becomes more "tricky". Common sense would now suggest that you actually buy a new (stronger) power supply unit - and whether that fits into your current tower is another issue...

Next, according to this here (under "features"):

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01g-p3-1302-lr

The card is backwards compatible with PCI-E 1.1, but then, PCI-E 1.1 and 1.0 seem to be almost the same, technically.

You should be able to use a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card on a PCI-E 1.0 motherboard/slot, but the speed ("data transfer rate") will be cut approximately in half, due to the PCI-E 1.0 slot.

Maybe someone else has a second opinion though. Smile  

Last edited by Carlos on Wed 14 May 2014, 19:35; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated info.)
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top