Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED] Empty Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Wed 03 Sep 2014, 10:20

Hi, I just got a new laptop and I'm having problems installing sims 3 base game. I've followed the instructions to the letter, instructions that worked perfectly when I installed the base game on my PC, but when it gets to the point where I choose disk 1 and select the first mounted disk, it tells me there's no disk there.

I've tried it a few times, but no luck. Any ideas where I could have gone completely wrong?

Back to top Go down

Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Wed 03 Sep 2014, 11:35

If you are using daemon tools you can try to drag and drop the image file to it and then double click to auto run the installation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Sep 2014, 14:49

If you have Windows 8 you can just select mount for the iso file. If you have Windows 7 then I personally suggest using magicdisk. It is a free mounting tool and is pretty simple to use. It will notify you if the iso wont mount so there wouldn't be any guess work. Please let us know if the problem persists. If it does, the download may have been interupted or corupted. This does happen even if there is no problem with the torrent or the download file initially.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Sep 2014, 23:28

I'm on windows 8 and using power iso. I clicked to mount them and started the install, but the problem is still there.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Thu 04 Sep 2014, 03:43

Hello,

Are you sure you have mounted The_Sims_3_Disk1.iso instead of simply opening it via PowerISO?

Simply opening it via the option in PowerISO is not equivalent to mounting:

Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED] Untitl24

To mount an image to the virtual drive, you need to click on this option instead:
Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED] Untitl25

After that choose The_Sims_3_Disk1.iso and wait for it to be mounted. To check if it is mounted go to "Computer" via Windows Explorer and see if the virtual drive (mine is G: Drive, not sure what letter was assigned to yours as per PowerISO) and see if the drive contains the mounted image, if so, proceed to The Sims 3 installation.

I don't see why PowerISO doesn't work because I personally tried it and it worked perfectly.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 05:44

With windows 8, there is a mounting program already with it. just open the folder location. click the file. and then there should actually be a mounting option available near the top of the folder location Smile if you cant find that then right click the iso and the mount option is there. also please be sure that you extracted the two iso files to either your desktop or a folder on your desktop or they wont mount because they are in the zipped file. I hope that helps Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 04 Sep 2014, 06:33

oohdelally wrote:Hi, I just got a new laptop and I'm having problems installing sims 3 base game. I've followed the instructions to the letter, instructions that worked perfectly when I installed the base game on my PC, but when it gets to the point where I choose disk 1 and select the first mounted disk, it tells me there's no disk there.

I've tried it a few times, but no luck. Any ideas where I could have gone completely wrong?

oohdelally wrote:I'm on windows 8 and using power iso. I clicked to mount them and started the install, but the problem is still there.
Which version of Power ISO are you using? You should be running the latest with Windows 8 / 8.1 (PowerISO 6.0, you probably know how to find it, I think I can't post a download link here, sorry). I didn't have a great experience with older Power ISO versions combined with my Windows 8.1.

J.T. wrote:Hello,

Are you sure you have mounted The_Sims_3_Disk1.iso instead of simply opening it via PowerISO?

Simply opening it via the option in PowerISO is not equivalent to mounting:

Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED] Untitl24

To mount an image to the virtual drive, you need to click on this option instead:
Installing on new laptop. [SOLVED] Untitl25

After that choose The_Sims_3_Disk1.iso and wait for it to be mounted. To check if it is mounted go to "Computer" via Windows Explorer and see if the virtual drive (mine is G: Drive, not sure what letter was assigned to yours as per PowerISO) and see if the drive contains the mounted image, if so, proceed to The Sims 3 installation.

I don't see why PowerISO doesn't work because I personally tried it and it worked perfectly.
Did you follow JT's advice?
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Sep 2014, 08:30

I think it might be the outdated power iso, I got it from the g4tw downloads site and it's 4.6

I have mounted it, as I said before it worked fine on my tower, just doesn't want to do so on the laptop.

I'll download an updated version of power iso and hopefully that'll help.

Thank you everyone for helping, it's very much appreciated (:

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Thu 04 Sep 2014, 12:41

oohdelally wrote:I think it might be the outdated power iso, I got it from the g4tw downloads site and it's 4.6

I have mounted it, as I said before it worked fine on my tower, just doesn't want to do so on the laptop.

Hello there,

My PowerISO is exactly the same as yours. That's why I don't see why it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if you get an outdated version of PowerISO because I can ascertain you that it isn't the problem. It's the problem of whether or not you have done it right or wrong during the process. 

Anyways, if nothing works, you can actually try extract both images via WinRAR, and then install by running the setup.exe in the extracted folder of  The_Sims_3_Start_Disk.iso. When you are asked to insert a disc, "browse" to the extracted folder of The_Sims_3_Disk_1.iso. Don't open the folder though. Select the folder ONLY and proceed.

That works in many cases, and in Windows 8 too. Like I said, it doesn't matter what your OS is or which version of PowerISO you are having.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 04 Sep 2014, 12:53

J.T. wrote:
oohdelally wrote:I think it might be the outdated power iso, I got it from the g4tw downloads site and it's 4.6

Hello there,

My PowerISO is exactly the same as yours. That's why I don't see why it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if you get an outdated version of PowerISO because I can ascertain you that it isn't the problem. It's the problem of whether or not you have done it right or wrong during the process. 

Anyways, if nothing works, you can actually try extract both images via WinRAR, and then install by running the setup.exe in the extracted folder of  The_Sims_3_Start_Disk.iso. When you are asked to insert a disc, "browse" to the extracted folder of The_Sims_3_Disk_1.iso. Don't open the folder though. Select the folder ONLY and proceed.

That works in many cases, and in Windows 8 too. Like I said, it doesn't matter what your OS is or which version of PowerISO you are having.
I don't know... I am not experienced as you are, but I remember having trouble with old version of Power ISO x Windows 8.1 when I first had it, then I downloaded the latest and I had no issues anymore. I can't be precise, but I remember getting error messages with the virtual drives even before trying to use them.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Sep 2014, 04:39

Thank you everyone for you help and advice. I managed to get it downloaded (:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Thu 11 Sep 2014, 21:22

oohdelally wrote:Thank you everyone for you help and advice. I managed to get it downloaded (:
Great! Can a moderator close this topic as solved?

Mod edit: problem solved, topic closed.

- Carlos
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)