Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laptop questions...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Laptop questions... Empty Laptop questions...

Post by Guest Mon 24 Nov 2014, 05:43

i am wondering which is better: 1tb of ram or 1tb of hard drive?
and is the new i7 processer what i should go with when looking at new laptops...

Back to top Go down

Laptop questions... Empty Re: Laptop questions...

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 24 Nov 2014, 05:58

K1T73N wrote:i am wondering which is better: 1tb of ram or 1tb of hard drive?
and is the new i7 processer what i should go with when looking at new laptops...

Hello K1T73N,

One TERABYTE RAM ?! Razz  I didn't even know there is something like that out there in personal computers (forget about the machines the CIA, NSA and the like are using). Most modern laptops for the "average" consumer have around 8GB (Gigabyte) of RAM, and I suppose this is what you mean to say. Smile

1 Terabyte (TB) = 1,024  (one-thousand-and-twenty-four) Gigabytes (GB)

Personally, I recommend you choose something with at least 6 GB of RAM. More is of course better (but more expensive too). In very simple terms, you'd need RAM to basically be able to run more modern games & software. And the operating system also needs a certain amount of RAM to function (I think that e.g. Windows 7 needs a little less than 1 GB of that RAM ? The rest of the available RAM in a computer is then allocated to other software/games).

As for the hard-drive, it mainly depends on how much stuff you want to have on it. Do you often download lots of music, videos, and other stuff ? If yes, then you should look for something with at least 1 Terabyte of hard-drive space.

However, the real weakness in laptops is the graphics card: if you also want to play games please inform yourself about what graphics card(s) your model has. Most laptops only have so-called "integrated graphics chips" (= small graphics chips that are usually integrated into the motherboard), which are underpowered for most modern games.

The more expensive models have a "dedicated" graphics card, with which you can also play games. Keep in mind though that laptops like these cost at least $900 in the US (normally, lol). And for THAT money, you can buy very good pre-built DESKTOP computers already. The question now is: does it really HAVE to be a laptop ?

If yes, feel free to post a link with the laptop model you have in mind, so that we can have a look at it. Smile  

//EDIT

And if you are VERY confident, you can even think about building your own desktop computer. You can get very good configurations already, for $900.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Dec 2014, 21:13

there is no such thing as a 1tb ram at least not for public use you need to specify for what are you  going to use your laptop/desktop but you can go for 1 tb hard disk and when looking for laptops you have to look at the following specs:
-RAM(the more the ram you have the faster your computer will run and multi task)
-cache((cache saves your old information to use them in future)if the cache was big the number of application which it will run is big)
-the i7 processor (like a brain )means the number of processors that are used to process data,so of course its good
-hard-disk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top