Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with hosting server.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help with hosting server. Empty Help with hosting server.

Post by Guest Wed 04 Feb 2015, 17:23

hello guys,
so i have this good MTA SA(Multi-theft auto which is an extension for gta sa) server that i am creating but i have a problem where i live the hosting services are very very bad,so i am resorting to you guys since you are much more reliable source to tell about any good hosting services that are outside  my country (Lebanon) preferably in Germany,but bare in in mind i cant pay using PayPal since its banned in my country

Back to top Go down

Help with hosting server. Empty Re: Help with hosting server.

Post by Admin Wed 04 Feb 2015, 20:44

//MOVED
Hi there, 

There are lots and lots of hosting services out there, but you should first check what your requirements are. For example, do you actually know how to set up the server, once you get yourself a hosting service?
What kind of service did you have in mind? Shared hosting (cheaper, but lots of websites on one server, sharing hardware) or VPS (Virtual Private Server, almost the same as dedicated hosting, but you still share a HDD, but you get dedicated RAM and CPU power) or even a dedicated server? (Very expensive, but everything is dedicated - not worth your situation)

Payments shouldn't be an issue, as there are lots of payment methods. You can even pay with Bitcoins at most hosts.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Feb 2015, 15:21

i think i will go with VPN but how should i know if this service is better then the other what should i look for in the description and what do you mean by shared HDD sorry for all this questions but this whole hosting thing is new to me

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 05 Feb 2015, 20:11

trojen100 wrote:i think i will go with VPN but how should i know if this service is better then the other what should i look for in the description and what do you mean by shared HDD sorry for all this questions but this whole hosting thing is new to me

Keep in mind that we're unlikely able to give you all necessary details on what you need, if you have absolutely no prior knowledge whatsoever. Since it's a very broad topic. It would be far beyond the scope of this single thread here, and you WILL need to do at least some of the research on your own. But I'll try to give you some tips: one thing you should pay attention to is to whether your ISP contract has any limitations regarding upload/download. As soon as THAT has been clarified, you'll want to check the bandwidth limitations of the VPS. How many GBs are you allowed to use (per month) ? 

Also note that actually hosting multiplayer game sessions is quite different than just "playing" a multiplayer game and joining some server. The server you are hosting "tracks" information (upload + download of game contents) of every player. I cannot tell you how much bandwidth your GTA: SA mod (?) needs. I once read something that a single player in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare transmits and receives a total of around 80MB per hour. Now, for example, with you and 3 other players, multiply that number by 4, and you'd get to the bare minimum figure. But of course, that's a VERY simplified equation. Again: if you host a server, you will receive and transmit data from/to all participating players in your game session.

To make things more complex, if you use voice chat, inject patches or other in-game custom content into your game server, it will add additional bandwidth.

I saw hosting packages for 3 USD per month that supposedly (?) allow transfers of 10,000 (ten thousand) Gigabytes per month. I guess for your game, and if you only host & play occasionally, that should be enough.

Again, this brief sketch is VERY simplified, and the topic has lots of depth and facets. The things you need will depend on many factors, as the game itself, any custom content, voice chat, number of players, how often you play, etc.

P.S. about the "shared HDD"...again very briefly, it basically means that you are sharing a server's hard-drive with other people, and this in turn could mean (in the worst case) performance issues, when the other users are - for example - ALSO hosting game sessions. 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 05 Feb 2015, 21:03

Hi there,

Yes, I think it will probably be too complicated for you to set up, if you have no hosting knowledge at all.
A VPS requires you to do everything yourself, mostly via command prompt (which on its turn requires some LINUX knowledge), if you don't have a Control Panel.

I found these prepared server that you can rent: https://gshost.us/buy/game/samp/location/US , but I do not know if they are any good, I'm just linking what I found.

@Carlos, voice chat shouldn't be a real problem, because you can route it through other software. (E.g. Steam or TeamSpeak)
And the HDD sharing with VPS is not really noticeable. A VPS' performance is pretty much the same as a dedicated server. You share the CPU and RAM with other people, but parts of those CPU and RAM are reserved for different people. So if you pay for 512MB RAM, that amount of RAM is reserved for you only, and no one else can use that reserved memory.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 05 Feb 2015, 22:28

King Admin wrote:
@Carlos, voice chat shouldn't be a real problem, because you can route it through other software. (E.g. Steam or TeamSpeak)

Ah, yes, didn't think about TeamSpeak (which I even used to use myself, back then at least).  Facepalm  Very Happy 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 22:12

so i still have to use my laptop to host the game since MTA is a standalone extension  or is there a service that host everything without having my laptop on/off

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 06 Feb 2015, 22:43

trojen100 wrote:so i still have to use my laptop to host the game since MTA is a standalone extension  or is there a service that host everything without having my laptop on/off
Hi,

If you "rent" a server, the game will be hosted somewhere else, 24/7.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 22:51

thanks help is appreciated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top