Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !] Empty 'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 26 May 2016, 03:06

Various reports have been circulating regarding users being unaware of selecting an update that 'upgrades' their Windows 7 or Windows 8.1., to the latest Windows 10.

'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !] _89790481_89780077

Clicking on the X in the top-right corner will NOT dismiss the update, only postpone it. This upgrade is now handled as a recommended update, and since the default setting for most people in the update settings is to automatically download/install all updates it could cause a problem.

As for me, I downloaded myself most of the updates until ~summer 2015, and then turned off the option to get updates completely; and then screenshot above is not from my computer. You should not do the same though, unless you know what you are doing. But this setting here could be an option for you:

'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !] Screen15

"Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". Should you already get the prompt to actually install Windows 10, look for something named dismiss/reject update.

Arrow  Long story short: if you get a prompt that offers you to "upgrade" to Windows 10, don't just click on the "X" in the top-right window corner. Instead, check your Windows update-settings. Smile  Good luck !

P.S. very nice move, Micro$oft. Clicking on the "X" should normally dismiss a serious update like that, and not merely postpone it. And making the Windows 10 update a recommended-one is also dubious.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !] Empty Re: 'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !]

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Thu 26 May 2016, 07:53

This should be over soon though? I recently read the "free windows 10" is not forever.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !] Empty Re: 'Forced' update to Windows 10. [ATTENTION !]

Post by Admin Thu 26 May 2016, 21:07

Hi,

Indeed, technically should be "free" until something like the end of July 2016.

NOTE: I personally do not recommend turning off automatic Updates, simply because most of the users probably won't bother to update ever again after that. (Which is not a good thing, the updates are there for a reason)
What I can personally recommend, is using a piece of (noob-proof) software that blocks the Windows 10 update completely, and won't bother you about it any more. The software is called "GWX Control Panel" and can be directly downloaded HERE. More information can be found on its download page HERE.
That will take care of all Windows 10-related updates in the future too. Smile
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 28 May 2016, 11:51

Edin ElDi wrote:This should be over soon though? I recently read the "free windows 10" is not forever.

Admin wrote:Hi,

Indeed, technically should be "free" until something like the end of July 2016.

NOTE: I personally do not recommend turning off automatic Updates, simply because most of the users probably won't bother to update ever again after that. (Which is not a good thing, the updates are there for a reason)
What I can personally recommend, is using a piece of (noob-proof) software that blocks the Windows 10 update completely, and won't bother you about it any more. The software is called "GWX Control Panel" and can be directly downloaded HERE. More information can be found on its download page HERE.
That will take care of all Windows 10-related updates in the future too. Smile

Yes, the offer supposedly ends on July 29th this year. And thanks for the tip with the software @Admin. Very Happy
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top