Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are two installations possible?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are two installations possible? Empty Are two installations possible?

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2016, 02:21

I have a metric TON of CC but my issue is that I am also a creator. My game takes forever to load with all the CC and I am wondering if there is a way to have two installs with all the packs. One that I play and one that I use to test my CC with. I thought about just duplicating my Sims 4 folder and naming it something like Sims4Test but am not sure if that would work? Thanks in advance! <3

Back to top Go down

Are two installations possible? Empty Re: Are two installations possible?

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2016, 13:50

Create a new user account and install the sims in there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2016, 18:39

I sort of figured that would be the only course I had. Thank you for letting me know that's how to do it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 04 Aug 2016, 00:10

MommyMayhem wrote:I sort of figured that would be the only course I had. Thank you for letting me know that's how to do it Smile

Switching user accounts all the time for just testing CC items ? In that particular instance it might actually be more feasible to focus on keeping the folder "The Sims 4" (under Documents\Electronic Arts) separate...of course, you have to make sure to not mix up those folders, and if you are prone to making mistakes when renaming stuff, then yes, the route with the new user account might be better then.

Can we help you with anything else for the moment ? Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2016, 04:33

What do you mean keep them separate? Can I have two mods folders? I know I can have sub folders in the mods folder but how would that work?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 04 Aug 2016, 04:45

MommyMayhem wrote:What do you mean keep them separate? Can I have two mods folders? I know I can have sub folders in the mods folder but how would that work?

Yes, renaming just the folder Mods should work as well. Let's say you are now playing with your full set of mods/CC. Try renaming the folder "Mods" into something like "Mods_full". 

Now start the game, and when you get to the main menu, exit the game. Now look again at the location. A fresh "Mods"-folder should be there, and you can use that folder for testing new CC, without putting your old stuff in.

Now the trickier part is when you decide to "accept" the new CC. Put the stuff into your "Mods_full"-folder. Now,...

"Mods" -> should be renamed to something like "Mods_test". Remember, this is the freshly-created folder that you used for testing the new CC.

"Mods_full" -> should be renamed back to "Mods", so that it will be recognized by the game again. This is where your full set of CC is located.

Reverse that procedure again, the next time you want to test more CC. It sounds complicated when writing this down in plain text, but if you do this a few times yourself you should get the drill. I never tested it myself with the "Mods"-folder, only with the "Tray"-folder, when I tested something for the gallery. It should work with "Mods" nonetheless. But again, if you find this to be too difficult to do in the long run, using a secondary Windows account might be indeed the better choice for you.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2016, 11:38

Ah ok. I get what you are saying now. That could work. I'll give that a shot and see how it pans out. I just have to remember to NOT save the game when I'm exiting. Did that a few days ago when I was testing something and ended up with a game full of butt naked, bald sims. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 06 Aug 2016, 16:30

MommyMayhem wrote:Ah ok. I get what you are saying now. That could work. I'll give that a shot and see how it pans out. I just have to remember to NOT save the game when I'm exiting. Did that a few days ago when I was testing something and ended up with a game full of butt naked, bald sims. lol

When you create a fresh folder of "The Sims 4" though, for testing CC items, it shouldn't matter that much if you save the game or not. After all, it's a test-folder essentially.

Of course, if you meant the risk of accidentally testing the mods on your main "The Sims 4"-folder, then yes, be careful ! You don't want to screw up your main savefile... Razz
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2016, 03:41

Yea, that's exactly what I accidentally did. I ran a test on my main save file and turned Newcrest into a nudist colony. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 07 Aug 2016, 09:20

MommyMayhem wrote:Yea, that's exactly what I accidentally did. I ran a test on my main save file and turned Newcrest into a nudist colony. LOL

Oops...  Talk to my left hand  Why.

Well, good luck then and do keep us posted !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top