Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PC Specs for The Sims 2 Complete Collection.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PC Specs for The Sims 2 Complete Collection. Empty PC Specs for The Sims 2 Complete Collection.

Post by Guest Sat 13 Aug 2016, 15:45

Hi everyone! Okay, so, I'm considering buying a PC that will mostly be used for The Sims 2 CC (maybe Sims 3 down the line).
This is due to the fact that my 2.1 ghz laptop w/ integrated graphics cannot handle The Sims 2, which requires 2.5 ghz if playing on integrated graphics Crying or Very sad
I have been looking around and I found a system that is within my budget. Here are the specs:
- Processor: AMD A6-6400K 3.90GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Dual-Core Richland CPU
- Graphics: AMD HD 8470D Graphics
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Will this be enough to run The Sims 2 Complete Collection? This is without a dedicated graphics card, by the way. I am aware I can buy a dedicated GPU, but I just want to know if I can play The Sims 2 CC on this APU with these onboard graphics.

Also, if any of you are running The Sims 2 Complete Collection, would it be okay for me to get an idea of the specs of the system you are running it on? This is just to give me a better idea of what I should be looking for in a system.  

Any and all advice would really be appreciated before I actually make any purchases. Smile

Back to top Go down

PC Specs for The Sims 2 Complete Collection. Empty Re: PC Specs for The Sims 2 Complete Collection.

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 13 Aug 2016, 17:11

Hello,

I think that ought to be more than sufficient.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

PC Specs for The Sims 2 Complete Collection. Empty Re: PC Specs for The Sims 2 Complete Collection.

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2016, 01:31

Thank you for the reply, Edin ElDi!  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 14 Aug 2016, 05:22

SimUniverse97 wrote:Hi everyone! Okay, so, I'm considering buying a PC that will mostly be used for The Sims 2 CC (maybe Sims 3 down the line).
This is due to the fact that my 2.1 ghz laptop w/ integrated graphics cannot handle The Sims 2, which requires 2.5 ghz if playing on integrated graphics Crying or Very sad
I have been looking around and I found a system that is within my budget. Here are the specs:
- Processor: AMD A6-6400K 3.90GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Dual-Core Richland CPU
- Graphics: AMD HD 8470D Graphics
- Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Will this be enough to run The Sims 2 Complete Collection? This is without a dedicated graphics card, by the way. I am aware I can buy a dedicated GPU, but I just want to know if I can play The Sims 2 CC on this APU with these onboard graphics.

Also, if any of you are running The Sims 2 Complete Collection, would it be okay for me to get an idea of the specs of the system you are running it on? This is just to give me a better idea of what I should be looking for in a system.  

Any and all advice would really be appreciated before I actually make any purchases. Smile

//MOVED

Hello,

I moved your post to the TS2-section here. Smile  That said, I'll assume this is a pre-built system setup ? If so, most computers that are pre-built tend to be unbalanced in their hardware capacity. They either have a strong GPU, and then a weak CPU. Or vice versa. Your CPU is more than decent, but although the APU is not that great, it should be sufficient for a game like TS2.

My own old computer has a weaker CPU than yours, but on the other hand I have a dedicated graphics card (1GB video RAM, DX10, Pixel Shader 4.1 support). This system is more than strong enough to handle TS2, TS3 and TS4. Though a little bit of extra cushion never hurts. Today's average graphics cards have at least 2GB of video RAM, support DX11 and Pixel Shader 5.0. Or are even better than that.

One difficulty of installing a "new" graphics card into a computer is that you need to pay attention to the length of the new card. Does it literally fit in the computer case ? The next thing is watt usage. High-end graphics cards tend to need more "Watts", and if your computer's power supply is too weak, there can be problems. Do some research about the power supply unit in your computer. Then do more research about the components in your computer. Start with the CPU: how many Watt does it use ? That is going to be a crucial component. As for the other computer parts, I don't want to give random figures, but expect the combined Watt-value to be around 100. That may be slightly too much, but better be too safe than "too sorry". Now, after you added all the Watt values together, subtract this from the Watt value of your power-supply unit. What is the remaining value ? This is the Wattage-guideline you are going to need for your new graphics card.

This may look complicated for novices, but these are things that need to be taken into account (too) when purchasing a new computer component.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2016, 14:47

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Hello,

I moved your post to the TS2-section here. Smile  That said, I'll assume this is a pre-built system setup ? If so, most computers that are pre-built tend to be unbalanced in their hardware capacity. They either have a strong GPU, and then a weak CPU. Or vice versa. Your CPU is more than decent, but although the APU is not that great, it should be sufficient for a game like TS2.

My own old computer has a weaker CPU than yours, but on the other hand I have a dedicated graphics card (1GB video RAM, DX10, Pixel Shader 4.1 support). This system is more than strong enough to handle TS2, TS3 and TS4. Though a little bit of extra cushion never hurts. Today's average graphics cards have at least 2GB of video RAM, support DX11 and Pixel Shader 5.0. Or are even better than that.

One difficulty of installing a "new" graphics card into a computer is that you need to pay attention to the length of the new card. Does it literally fit in the computer case ? The next thing is watt usage. High-end graphics cards tend to need more "Watts", and if your computer's power supply is too weak, there can be problems. Do some research about the power supply unit in your computer. Then do more research about the components in your computer. Start with the CPU: how many Watt does it use ? That is going to be a crucial component. As for the other computer parts, I don't want to give random figures, but expect the combined Watt-value to be around 100. That may be slightly too much, but better be too safe than "too sorry". Now, after you added all the Watt values together, subtract this from the Watt value of your power-supply unit. What is the remaining value ? This is the Wattage-guideline you are going to need for your new graphics card.

This may look complicated for novices, but these are things that need to be taken into account (too) when purchasing a new computer component.
Thank you for the reply, gh0stm4n! Smile

Yes, this is a pre-built system from Aria. I did consider building my own PC, and I still might consider it. But I just prefer to get everything I need from one place, and I know that to get the best deals on PC components, you need to shop around.

Anyway, I will try to figure out the whole wattage for this pre-built system in the meantime. The system includes a 500W power supply, by the way.

I don't have a big budget, and right now, I just want something that can handle the Sims 2, maybe Sims 3 down the line, which is entirely possible with desktops as they are so upgradable.

Another pre-built system I considered purchasing has these specs:
- Processor: AMD (Richland) A4-4000 3.00GHz (3.20GHz Turbo) Dual-Core Processor - 1MB Cache
- Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7480D GDDR3 (VGA, DVI & HDMI Ports)
- Memory: 1x4GB DDR3 1333MHz (32GB Supported)
- Hard Drive: 500GB Toshiba SATA III 7200RPM Hard Drive
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE AMD A68 Chipset Motherboard
- Cooler: AMD Socket FM2 CPU Cooler
- Power Supply: 450W Power Supply

This is cheaper than the previous pre-built system I posted and the specs are less, too, but down the line I'd buy a Radeon HD 6450 dedicated graphics card to run dual with the APU. 

Anyway, I apologise for the long post. I just want to make sure I have all the information I need before I make a purchase. This would be my first desktop computer, in case it wasn't obvious. Smile

Thanks again for the advice! As I mentioned in my previous post, any and all advice really is appreciated!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 16 Aug 2016, 04:22

SimUniverse97 wrote:(...) but down the line I'd buy a Radeon HD 6450 dedicated graphics card to run dual with the APU. 

The maximum Watt this card uses seems to be 27. As for the other specs, in my opinion it should be good enough for both TS2 and TS3. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Aug 2016, 13:08

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
SimUniverse97 wrote:(...) but down the line I'd buy a Radeon HD 6450 dedicated graphics card to run dual with the APU. 

The maximum Watt this card uses seems to be 27. As for the other specs, in my opinion it should be good enough for both TS2 and TS3. Smile

Thank you for your thoughts, gh0stm4n! Smile

I might just go ahead and buy the latter system, then. I've been considering it too long now, just want to play some Sims 2 again! Carlos is tha man!!!

Thanks again for you help!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 18 Aug 2016, 05:29

SimUniverse97 wrote:
Thank you for your thoughts, gh0stm4n! Smile

I might just go ahead and buy the latter system, then. I've been considering it too long now, just want to play some Sims 2 again! Carlos is tha man!!!

Thanks again for you help!

Glad to hear you like TS2. Very Happy  Over time, we will be seeing to posting more stuff (guides, articles, tutorials, etc.) on the older Sims-games here, feel free to check back from time to time here. It's nice to hear people are still playing TS2 and TS3 too these days. But then, due to TS4 being unsuccessful, it may be no surprise at all that people are looking for alternatives. And since there are no real and comparable alternatives to The Sims-franchise as of now, it'll be TS2 and TS3.

I'll leave the thread open for now in case you have any follow-up questions. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2016, 14:13

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
I'll leave the thread open for now in case you have any follow-up questions. Smile

Hello again! This isn't really a question or anything, but I'll go on anyway...

I'm as indecisive as they come, and after even more consideration, I decided not to buy the pre-built system.  Uh oh All the research I've been doing has instead been inspiring me to build my own PC. I mean, considering I'm taking a Level 3 Year 2 IT course this year, I think it is high time I got into building my own system Smile

Anyway, it'll be a bit of a long-term project. I have an idea of what specs I want, thanks to your advice Good job!

I have the basic components picked out on 'PC Part Picker', but they'll most likely change as I do more research. I don't want to make the same mistakes I did when buying my laptop all those years ago! (the biggest mistake being Intel's integrated mobile graphics) Oh my...

And despite how much I want to play The Sims 2, I know I'll probably want to try out other games I can't manage on my laptop, i.e. Mass Effect series, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, etc. Basically games I never got much of a chance to play on console.

Anyway, I'll leave it here (Always feel like I'm saying too much in these few posts I've made!)

I guess this thread can be closed as I got the advice I wanted Smile

Have a great day!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Aug 2016, 05:16

SimUniverse97 wrote:Hello again! This isn't really a question or anything, but I'll go on anyway...

I'm as indecisive as they come, and after even more consideration, I decided not to buy the pre-built system.  Uh oh All the research I've been doing has instead been inspiring me to build my own PC. I mean, considering I'm taking a Level 3 Year 2 IT course this year, I think it is high time I got into building my own system Smile

Anyway, it'll be a bit of a long-term project. I have an idea of what specs I want, thanks to your advice Good job!

I have the basic components picked out on 'PC Part Picker', but they'll most likely change as I do more research. I don't want to make the same mistakes I did when buying my laptop all those years ago! (the biggest mistake being Intel's integrated mobile graphics) Oh my...

And despite how much I want to play The Sims 2, I know I'll probably want to try out other games I can't manage on my laptop, i.e. Mass Effect series, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, etc. Basically games I never got much of a chance to play on console.

Anyway, I'll leave it here (Always feel like I'm saying too much in these few posts I've made!)

I guess this thread can be closed as I got the advice I wanted Smile

Have a great day!

At that point though we're probably deviating too much from the original subject's matter, so should you want to discuss about Hardware in a general way, feel free to open a new thread under "Hardware". Smile

Briefly though, on the system in your opening post Fallout 3/New Vegas & Mass Effect 1/2 should be still running (fine). Should you be looking for stronger components, it'll only benefit you. 

And laptops with a decent/dedicated graphics cards are very expensive. My old laptop that was assembled in late 2004 cost 1,500 Euros when I bought it. But it could be used for games that came out until ~mid-2007 or so. I recall playing COD: Modern Warfare 1 on that laptop, very fluently. Razz  In general, I think it's fair to say that you can't get a laptop suitable for gaming purposes for under 1,000 Euros/USD. That money is better invested in a custom-built desktop system.

If you don't have any more questions about The Sims 2, I will close the thread here. Very Happy
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top