Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sims 2 Complete Collection horrible performance (laptop, Windows 10)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sims 2 Complete Collection horrible performance (laptop, Windows 10) Empty Sims 2 Complete Collection horrible performance (laptop, Windows 10)

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2016, 09:35

Hello. I downloaded the complete edition from Origin and it runs horrible. Max settings, 1920x1080 (had to edit a file to get that res). 

Here is what i wrote on another forum hopefully you guys can help me. 

i downloaded The Sims 2 Complete Collection from Origin and i am having a really bad performance. It should work flawlessly and it doesn't. I get drops to 15 fps, when zooming in/out, when i use the game speed button it stutters, really bad. I heard this is because the game is too old, but is there any way to make it run better?

max settings 1920x1080 except for shadow details (at medium to avoid a black square bug) 

When in build mode or in Create a Sim, when i click a category it freezes to load the objects and then continues. 

Just wondering if you had any idea. Already trid High Performance mode, choose TS2 to run at max performance, tried disabling the cpu cores except for one as suggested by someone and nothing helps. 

Laptop specs

i7 6700HQ
960M 4GB GDDR5
8GB DDR4
1TB HDD 5400RPM

Windows 10 64bits

---------

I even tried using your guide to use the Removal Tool, i did that and used the CD key you guys provided but still the performance is bad.

Back to top Go down

Sims 2 Complete Collection horrible performance (laptop, Windows 10) Empty Re: Sims 2 Complete Collection horrible performance (laptop, Windows 10)

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2016, 11:42

Hello, and welcome to the forum,  Very Happy
The Sims 2 Complete Collection runs poorly even on good hardware, because game is so old that it can recongise new hardware. This could be improved simply by editing GraphicsRules.SGR. Here's link how to do it. You can't just copy paste what's written, you'll have to do a bit of customization to fit your hardware. If you think that you'll mess up, feel free to contact me through PM.

A one more tip is to set compatibility to older versions of Windows like XP or Vista.

Very good thing for older games and even newer is to check it on PC Gaming Wikia. It will tell if game has bugs that haven't been patched and how to fix them and even more informations. Here's The Sims 2 one.

Try suggestions above and keep us posted!

Back to top Go down

Sims 2 Complete Collection horrible performance (laptop, Windows 10) Empty Re: Sims 2 Complete Collection horrible performance (laptop, Windows 10)

Post by Guest Thu 18 Aug 2016, 19:34

Thanks for answering.  Yes i may need some help with the first option, i tried before using that without editing it and it had the same performance. I tried running compatibility mode windows 7/xp/8 but the game was not launching. I was receiving an error message. Something like the app had to close, microsoft ++ something. 

I also tried that thing about CPU set to 1 or 2 but i got this error:

Direct3D has given this error: E_INVALIDARG! the app will close

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Aug 2016, 05:09

xterno50 wrote:Thanks for answering.  Yes i may need some help with the first option, i tried before using that without editing it and it had the same performance. I tried running compatibility mode windows 7/xp/8 but the game was not launching. I was receiving an error message. Something like the app had to close, microsoft ++ something. 

There was a post from @Admin earlier here about that issue. Does the situation described there apply to you ?
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t21947-the-sims-life-stories-direct3d-returned-an-error-e_invalidarg-error-fix
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 06:03

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
xterno50 wrote:Thanks for answering.  Yes i may need some help with the first option, i tried before using that without editing it and it had the same performance. I tried running compatibility mode windows 7/xp/8 but the game was not launching. I was receiving an error message. Something like the app had to close, microsoft ++ something. 

There was a post from @Admin earlier here about that issue. Does the situation described there apply to you ?
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t21947-the-sims-life-stories-direct3d-returned-an-error-e_invalidarg-error-fix
Yes i did that and it worked but still, it would make the game run with the Integrated Card and not the Dedicated. And still laggy and choppy.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Aug 2016, 07:29

xterno50 wrote:Yes i did that and it worked but still, it would make the game run with the Integrated Card and not the Dedicated. And still laggy and choppy.

At that point I'm not sure what else to suggest, I'm sorry. Are you sure though you clicked on "apply" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, after changing the graphics setting?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Aug 2016, 07:37

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
xterno50 wrote:Yes i did that and it worked but still, it would make the game run with the Integrated Card and not the Dedicated. And still laggy and choppy.

At that point I'm not sure what else to suggest, I'm sorry. Are you sure though you clicked on "apply" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, after changing the graphics setting?
Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 19 Aug 2016, 07:44

xterno50 wrote:Yes.

OK, not good...

I dimly recall another user having a similar problem and he eventually mentioned an automated tool to help recognizing the graphics card. Ah yes, I found it again here:
http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

Note that I myself haven't used this tool, but it does look interesting. Maybe you want to give it a try. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top