Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED] Empty Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sat 29 Jul 2017, 18:33

Hey everyone. I've been trying to add The Sims 4 to my steam as a non steam game, so I can use the overlay to stream the game for my girlfriend so she can watch me play. Last night, it worked, and I could open the overlay. However today, after a fresh install of The Sims 4 with your downloads, no matter what I do I can't get the overlay to work. When I launch the game, my steam says "In non-steam game The Sims 4" but the overlay won't work. It's a bit puzzling. I don't have origin installed, in fact I uninstalled it before I even installed The Sims.

If any of you know how to get the steam overlay to work with this cracked version, any help would be appreciated. I read fixes online but they were for the retail version and involved some trickery with origin to let steams overlay work.

So far I have tried both the 32 and 64 bit client, administrator access, and different shortcut names within steam.

Hope to hear back soon, Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 29 Jul 2017, 19:14

Nozilna wrote:Hey everyone. I've been trying to add The Sims 4 to my steam as a non steam game, so I can use the overlay to stream the game for my girlfriend so she can watch me play. Last night, it worked, and I could open the overlay. However today, after a fresh install of The Sims 4 with your downloads, no matter what I do I can't get the overlay to work. When I launch the game, my steam says "In non-steam game The Sims 4" but the overlay won't work. It's a bit puzzling. I don't have origin installed, in fact I uninstalled it before I even installed The Sims.

If any of you know how to get the steam overlay to work with this cracked version, any help would be appreciated. I read fixes online but they were for the retail version and involved some trickery with origin to let steams overlay work.

So far I have tried both the 32 and 64 bit client, administrator access, and different shortcut names within steam.

Hope to hear back soon, Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

Works fine for me:

Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED] Screen10

Go to where your Steam is installed; in my case it's under C:\Program files\Steam. Inside Steam, search for the GameOverlayUI.exe and right-click on it; go under its properties. Under Compatibility look for the box "run this program as an Administrator". Try both checking and unchecking that particular box and see if it makes your Steam overlay show up. I've seen cases where I had to actually UNCHECK that particular box, in order to make the overlay show up for even legit Steam games.

Other than that, I don't know if it plays a role, but I just chose add non-Steam game to library -> browse -> ts4.exe and confirmed. I did not rename this shortcut in the Steam library, so the game shows up simply as "TS4" in my library. Maybe you could try that as well. Beyond that, I don't know what else you could try, I'm sorry.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Trying to get the steam overlay to work with your version of TS4. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sat 29 Jul 2017, 19:59

Hello and thank you for the tips. I tried what you said, and it didn't work at first. However, I decided to try it with the 32 bit client as opposed to the 64 bit one and now it works perfectly. Really appreciate the help and I can't wait to broadcast this! Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 29 Jul 2017, 20:18

Just tried it myself again with the TS4_x64.exe, and the overlay worked there as well. Do you have your installation under C:\Program files (x86)? If yes, and you wanted to use the 64-bit executable, try moving the folder under C:\Program files. Which is where I have my folder.

Some users reported that since Program files (x86) is intended for 32-bit applications, using 64-bit apps under that folder doesn't (always) work out very well.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Jul 2017, 20:37

No, my install is in C:\Program files. I'm fine running the 32bit client, unless there will be some huge issue later on as I play that I'm unaware of.

Last edited by Nozilna on Sat 29 Jul 2017, 20:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistype)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 29 Jul 2017, 20:41

Nozilna wrote:No, my install is in C:\Program files. I'm fine running the 32bit client, unless there will be some huge issue later on as I play that I'm unaware of.

Oh well, at least you can make it work with one of the .exe's. Have fun with the game and feel free to open a new topic again if you run into more issues in the future! Problem solved, topic closed. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top