Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent. Empty Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent.

Post by Guest Sat 05 Aug 2017, 20:47

Hi, I've had uTorrent before but this is my first time downloading on my new and improved computer. It's been giving me really inconsistent download rates. With Steam I can get an average of 170-180kbs at prime time and at the lowest 150. When I followed the tutorials the only thing I struggled with was getting my router to port forward. I've tried several different tutorials, even the one on here, but I can't get them to stabilize. I followed how to do it (hopefully correctly) but I think it wants me to add a starting port and ending port, which the guide didn't mention anything about which is why it kept giving me an error when I tried to apply the port forwarding settings. Also on my old busted computer I never did any port forwarding, didn't create static ip and my download rates were consistent if that matters.

I feel like I need to provide more info but I'm not good with torrenting so I'm not sure what info is needed.
Any help and suggestions?

//EDIT

Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent. Screen10

Back to top Go down

Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent. Empty Re: Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 06 Aug 2017, 00:42

Hello and welcome to the Forum,

Are you on a wireless internet connection? If you have an Ethernet (LAN) cable that is also long enough, you could try connecting through LAN instead. Then see how the connection is through that LAN cable.

The guide on here doesn't mention specifics about port forwarding because of the dazzling array of different router models. It's the same like the suggestion of some people to post a guide about configuring antivirus exclusions: from the end user's perspective such a guide could be helpful, but in practice there are too many different programs.

Back to the topic, you would have to google the exact model of your router and then also "port forwarding". You should come up with relevant and helpful results. I'm sorry if you feel I'm not being specific, but certain things are only realistically doable by the end-user (a.k.a. you, in this case).

Maybe this site here can help you, as a start:
https://portforward.com/
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent. Empty Re: Inconsistent Download Speed in uTorrent.

Post by Guest Sun 06 Aug 2017, 15:18

Hi and thank you for the reply!
I am connected to my router directly through a cable, not Wi-Fi.

I tried that site too. I selected uTorrent Personal computer and my router, but it left the Starting Port and Ending Port slots empty so I think that is why it wouldn't let me save the port forward onto my router. But thank you! I'll try to find other guide alternatives for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Aug 2017, 20:26

The downloadspeed is dependable on seeders (= uploaders).
When you have a couple of seeders uploading with 1 MB/s or more, yes then your downloadspeed will increase.
When these uploaders close their torrent-agent the speed will drop drastically.

I use utorrent and bittorrent without any modifications on port forwarding or whatever "solutions" are proposed.
Sometimes I can download with more than 18 MB/s and sometimes it's just a couple of Kb/s

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 06 Aug 2017, 20:56

@mettiboe, are your direct download (browser) speeds consistent?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top