Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EU Article 13 Just Passed :'(

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EU Article 13 Just Passed :'( Empty EU Article 13 Just Passed :'(

Post by Sim Architect Tue 26 Mar 2019, 23:11

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/26/tech/eu-copyright-article-13/index.html

Why God. Why God. Why God. Why God. Why God. Why God. Why God. Why God.

In about two years we'll be all pirates without freedom of expression.
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

EU Article 13 Just Passed :'( Empty Re: EU Article 13 Just Passed :'(

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 06 Apr 2019, 19:39

Sim Architect wrote:In about two years we'll be all pirates without freedom of expression.

So I looked through the actual text a bit of Articles 13/17, and from what I understand this thing essentially emphasizes the message: "do not host copyright-protected material on your servers, or else". Which by itself is nothing new, and that's not what most piracy-platforms are about. They typically don't host anything on their servers, except some metadata such .torrent files, magnet links, etc. 

As for G4TW, I'm not overly concerned. Sure, there is a little bit of "storm in the teacup/coffecup" (filehosters taking down .torrent files, but interestingly enough only of major Sims 4 DLC), but there are solutions for that too. No worries. And again, that is nothing particularly new.

A prominent example of where this is being applied, is the upload-filter of YouTube: since they directly host these videos, they can be held liable for someone even uploading a 5-second snippet of (copyright-protected) music.

Maybe I misunderstood this Article 13/17, or you read it differently than I did, in which case feel free to go into detail. 

What is going to become more and more relevant in the near future though for our type of activities, and the people following our work, are (good) VPN services.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top