Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team members with mod-rights, this message is for you. Please read and acknowledge.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Team members with mod-rights, this message is for you. Please read and acknowledge. Empty Team members with mod-rights, this message is for you. Please read and acknowledge.

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 30 Nov 2013, 14:05

Hi everyone,

I'm going through some of the posts in the "sims 3 downloads support" section as I write this, and I often come across user double posts (for an example, see this topic). Some of you are merging these posts but I still see way too many double and triple posts. 
So I'd like to remind you all to please merge those double posts. Simply copy the posters double post, edit the message above it,  and paste their double post into the first message. Add an //EDIT between both messages, and a request at the bottom to the user. A message may come out looking like this:

Hello!

I have a problem and I hope you can help! My problem is blah blah blah.

//EDIT

Oh and I forgot to mention that blah blah blah.

//EDIT

Oh and also, blah blah blah.

Please edit your post rather than replying to it if you haven't received a reply yet, thank you!
- Lady ElDi 

Needless to say, you will post with your own name of course Laughing
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Team members with mod-rights, this message is for you. Please read and acknowledge. Empty Re: Team members with mod-rights, this message is for you. Please read and acknowledge.

Post by Guest Sat 30 Nov 2013, 16:45

I acknowledge and will do my best to do it!

Back to top Go down

Team members with mod-rights, this message is for you. Please read and acknowledge. Empty Re: Team members with mod-rights, this message is for you. Please read and acknowledge.

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 30 Nov 2013, 18:19

It may be slightly off-topic, but I briefly thought about creating a post for "forum beginners"; in which they find information about the "edit-button", quote/multi-quote buttons, how to find your own posts and similar important stuff. A link to this post could then be put on the start page of the forum, similar to this "must read-guide: how to install the Sims 3 correctly".

However, I'm not really sure whether such a post would actually be read by anyone, since most people just come here for a quick fix on their Sims (3) problems (and usually don't come back after posting one or two questions). Besides, if the link to that post is put near the "must read"-guide, it might be confusing to some - as strange as it might sound to us.

Most likely, it's not worth the effort, but... this could be an idea for the future, still.

Other than that, I pretty much try to merge these posts whenever I see them (unless it's a post from an Admin). Smile 

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 30 Nov 2013, 18:47

Hello,

We've tried posts like that in the past, but experience teaches us that they don't read such posts. 
Note that double posting is also in the forum rules new users get to read before registering.

And yet, if you feel like it Carlos, go ahead and write this "Guide for forum beginners". It's usefulness may surprise us Very Happy 
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sephymuffins Sat 30 Nov 2013, 20:36

So far I haven't come across any threads (surprisingly) that have posts inside in need of merging.  This is probably because of my timezone and everyone else already doing it.  Razz

But I have seen an increasing number of posts all being merged when it's not necessary, or a few posts being merged together with no mod/helper username available or comment about how to use the edit button. lol  Much like the example thread your posted, ElDi!  I always edit posts in red font color and include my username!

What determines whether or not two or more posts should be squished together?  I can imagine it'd be obvious, and I don't mean to step on toes or ask unnecessary questions, it's just I've seen a few things merged (as I stated above) when it's unnecessary - literally to the point of me not getting notified via email that there was an update to a particular thread! This is a little worrisome to me because then people aren't getting helped in a timely fashion.  In other words because of my forum settings, when a person posts something in a thread I'VE posted in, I get notified via email.  If I don't get notified at all because of a lot of editing, it means the thread is technically "read" so I get no notification until that user that made the thread makes a post saying, "Hey! Where's my help!?"  lol.

Needless to say, and sorry to ramble, I will work diligently on helping to clean up the forum and merge posts for you guys.  Smile
Sephymuffins
Sephymuffins
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims™, Final Fantasy, F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Minecraft, DayZ, Infestation: Survivor Stories, 7 Days To Die, Metal Gear Rising, The Walking Dead, Fable 3, Bioshock, Skyrim, Fallout, Spore.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 30 Nov 2013, 20:45

Hello,

I actually edited that post after writing this message Facepalm so it's probably a horrible example hahaha.
But lets have a look at this thread. We're starting about halfway down the thread where the user replies, and again for a total of 4 times without editing their post. You're actually the first on the "scene" after her 4 replies Wink
Those 4 replies should be merged into 1 reply, since there are no replies by other users in the time she posted those 4 replies.

We don't usually post a message when it's just 2 messages that have been merged into 1, but if someone keeps doing the same thing, or there are a lot of posts in a row by the same user, it's recommended to post a little note at the bottom. Some mods like to do that immediately, which is fine by me as well.

I actually didn't bother with that particular post, since the problem was solved and it was unlikely she topic started would return to read it.
That does bring me to another small point. Since the problem appears to be solved, it's probably better to mark it "solved" (in the topic title), and leave a little note that you're glad the problem was fixed etc. etc. and invite them to open a topic if something else comes up. Then close the topic.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sephymuffins Sat 30 Nov 2013, 20:50

Lady ElDi wrote:Hello,

I actually edited that post after writing this message Facepalm so it's probably a horrible example hahaha.
But lets have a look at this thread. We're starting about halfway down the thread where the user replies, and again for a total of 4 times without editing their post. You're actually the first on the "scene" after her 4 replies Wink
Those 4 replies should be merged into 1 reply, since there are no replies by other users in the time she posted those 4 replies.

We don't usually post a message when it's just 2 messages that have been merged into 1, but if someone keeps doing the same thing, or there are a lot of posts in a row by the same user, it's recommended to post a little note at the bottom. Some mods like to do that immediately, which is fine by me as well.
I feel like a derp, because I WAS there on the scene after all of those replies.  I plead not guilty!  Maybe.  I'll use the excuse of perhaps not being promoted to Sims 3 Helper at that time, forgive me!   Embarassed  Lol.

Either way, that's an excellent example so thank you for posting that!  Smile
Sephymuffins
Sephymuffins
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims™, Final Fantasy, F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Minecraft, DayZ, Infestation: Survivor Stories, 7 Days To Die, Metal Gear Rising, The Walking Dead, Fable 3, Bioshock, Skyrim, Fallout, Spore.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 30 Nov 2013, 20:55

Ah! Ok well, then, you're forgiven Laughing
I lost track of what has been going on when in the past few weeks, with real-life stuff going on.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 30 Nov 2013, 21:19

This reminds me of a "funny" encounter between me and another user here. I even posted a screenshot to show where the "edit"-button is.  Facepalm  Mad

Luckily, users like this one are rather rare...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Sun 01 Dec 2013, 07:52

While I do agree that these posts should be merged into one, I do agree with you Lady Eldi. People don't read at all. It is a chaos when the users tried to bump, and that is the reason why Carlos suggested this. I do think a kind of post like this is essential, even though some people don't read. I still have high hopes that some people will read it.
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dieneryn Mon 02 Dec 2013, 19:25

Read and acknowledged!  Smile
Dieneryn
Dieneryn
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Favourite games : The Sims Series, Harvest Moon Series, Legend of Zelda, Patapon, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom, Pheonix Wright Series, Mario, and several other MMORPGs

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top