Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro. Empty Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro.

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 22:32

Hello all.
first, a moment of silence for my Sony VAIO that died in January (motherboard crashed, i guess it couldn't handle the sims).
I'm currently using a loaner laptop for studies, and am now researching some new laptops to buy. I'm leaning towards the macbook pro (13", 2.9 GHZ processor), but i'm unsure of the graphics and don't know if it will be compatible with the base game, eps and cc i have saved on my external hard drive for this reason alone, to resume my gameplay.

any mac users out there? How does the sims work for you? Should I be looking at the 15 "? I'm aware that apple is planning on revamping the current MBP model this year, if any of you have the current one, how is it in terms of your game play?

thanks alot.

ETA: if not mac, what other computers do you recommend (please don't say the piece of shit that is alienware)

Last edited by VanessaChilliams2 on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 22:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a point)

Back to top Go down

Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro. Empty Re: Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro.

Post by invalidusername Sat 02 Mar 2013, 03:26

I'm using an HP Envy dv6 that I customized basically for gaming. It's pretty nice, runs everything smoothly so far, even on high graphics.
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro. Empty Re: Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro.

Post by Admin Sat 02 Mar 2013, 19:49

Hello,

Does it really have to be a laptop? Razz
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Mar 2013, 21:57

I have a macbook pro,

Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro. Screen13

I am a BIG Mac/Apple Fan, but If you play a lot of computer games and are new to Mac as well- Don't get a mac. It isn't game friendly- or at least currently- gaming companies are including mac more- but most just do what EA does and relies on programs like wine/cider or pc simulators to get the game to play on the system. Which works but not as well as it should

I have issues every time a new patch or expansion comes out- and sometimes its an easy fix- others drive you mad. While playing sims, my laptop gets really hot- you can hear the fans, and currently I have had to play with my WiFi off. But I think that's just because I haven't added the newest patch. Graphics and game play are smooth so long as no error pops up. If you do get a mac and want to add sims- follow the sims 3 ultimate fix Mac- by the letter. And no matter what system you get- errors will happen, and glitches will pop up- but lucky for us we have games4theword to help us. I love you

I don't know how the new models will run- I'm hoping better and wont get over heated- (I've gone through 3 chargers) But no system is perfect- all come with limitations.

I love my mac, even when sims doesn't, its easy to maintain and once you get the hang of it- you find pc annoying (or at least I do).

sorry to flip back and forth but its all personal choice and how often you will use your machine- and how you set it up.

good luck Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 03 Mar 2013, 01:07

Admin wrote:Hello,

Does it really have to be a laptop? Razz

yes, as I will be using it for school also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Mar 2013, 20:35

Boosting... I really need some help on this guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2013, 07:49

I'd get anything but a Mac.

My 2008 Sony VAIO was fine for the sims for a year or two (up until Generations was released), but the fans got so loud when it ran photoshop that I couldn't even take it to school anymore, so I gave it to my brother.

I got a Mac to replace it (late 2011 13"), and I love the thing for actual work - but running the sims on it is an absolute drag. I gave up on trying to run even just the basegame on it because the graphics were so bad. I ended up installing Windows 7 via bootcamp and it dramatically improved the gameplay - even the settings bars went further up - but it was still pretty awful, crashing and errors every time, more time spent troubleshooting than actually playing.

So I built myself a gaming PC and I'm super super happy with it! But if you really want a laptop, I'd go for one you can put together yourself (as in, choose the parts), preferably with dedicated graphics (not integrated like the MBP) and a good processor.

Hope this helps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 02:35

I bought my vaio in 2011, and it died a year later. i guess it couldn't handle long periods of gameplay. i can't really build a new computer since it's generally for school, and my budget can only be stretched out for so long. so macs aren't a good tool to play the game on? i see alot of people here that use it so i thought otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 19:21

Hey,
A Macbook pro late 2012 user here ^^ I play a lot of games along with Sims 3 on my laptop. Sims 3 works just fine. It doesn't freeze and doesn't crash. My vram is 512 Mb but it doesn't affect the game quality. I've set up Windows 7 via Boot Camp but Sims 3 crashes very often when I play at Win7. MacOs is nice,but I couldn't install University Life,it keeps saying my version of the sims 3 is cannot be updated. However,If you want to buy a Macbook,you have to consider that you cannot use Create a world tool without setting up boot camp and also if you'd like to get the latest games,Boot camp is a must.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 04:52

Valiedhiel wrote:Hey,
A Macbook pro late 2012 user here ^^ I play a lot of games along with Sims 3 on my laptop. Sims 3 works just fine. It doesn't freeze and doesn't crash. My vram is 512 Mb but it doesn't affect the game quality. I've set up Windows 7 via Boot Camp but Sims 3 crashes very often when I play at Win7. MacOs is nice,but I couldn't install University Life,it keeps saying my version of the sims 3 is cannot be updated. However,If you want to buy a Macbook,you have to consider that you cannot use Create a world tool without setting up boot camp and also if you'd like to get the latest games,Boot camp is a must.

a CLEAR answer. Thank you so much. I think I'll up the specs of my MBP and get one with an updated 16 gb ram and 1gb of vram. Just to be on the safe side and know my game will work top speed.

Can you please explain to me bootcamp? I know what it is, but how would i go about installing it to my future macbook?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:34

Bootcamp is a tool used to make partitions on your hdd and install Windows 7. With a recent update it allows users to set up Windows 8 as well. The process is really easy. You can read the steps here http://www.pcworld.com/article/249059/how_to_install_boot_camp_and_run_windows_on_your_mac.html . When you finish installing Windows,you can switch between two operating systems via holding the "alt" button while restarting your computer. Boot camp doesn't support changing operating systems without restarting. If you want such feature you can check out parallels : http://www.parallels.com/eu/landingpage/dskd86/?utm_nooverride=1&gclid=COag9dKEgbYCFYKN3godcCcAbg . It is pricey though.

Here are my Mac's specs:
Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro. Screen11

Last edited by Valiedhiel on Sat 16 Mar 2013, 15:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added specs.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Mar 2013, 17:22

I'm using the latest model of the MacBook Pro , 15" with 8GB of memory, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 , with 1GB of vRAM.

It runs the Sims on High Graphics silky smooth, and I love it.

Even though Macs aren't built for gaming, they can definitely RUN the games that are made for Mac, with a few exceptions. But if you're truly a hardcore gamer, I suggest you buy a Alienware or a decent PC.

Personally, I would still prefer my Mac over anything else. They are built to last , I've used my last mac for over 5 years before deciding to buy a newer model even though the old one still worked fine. Most professionals use Mac for their work too.

There are only a handful of games for Mac, but they are enough for me anyway so its really up to you.

-Jephz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 02:05

Valiedhiel wrote:Bootcamp is a tool used to make partitions on your hdd and install Windows 7. With a recent update it allows users to set up Windows 8 as well. The process is really easy. You can read the steps here http://www.pcworld.com/article/249059/how_to_install_boot_camp_and_run_windows_on_your_mac.html . When you finish installing Windows,you can switch between two operating systems via holding the "alt" button while restarting your computer. Boot camp doesn't support changing operating systems without restarting. If you want such feature you can check out parallels : http://www.parallels.com/eu/landingpage/dskd86/?utm_nooverride=1&gclid=COag9dKEgbYCFYKN3godcCcAbg . It is pricey though.

Here are my Mac's specs:
Sims 3 experience + 2012/2013 Macbook Pro. Screen11

Jephz wrote:I'm using the latest model of the MacBook Pro , 15" with 8GB of memory, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 , with 1GB of vRAM.

It runs the Sims on High Graphics silky smooth, and I love it.

Even though Macs aren't built for gaming, they can definitely RUN the games that are made for Mac, with a few exceptions. But if you're truly a hardcore gamer, I suggest you buy a Alienware or a decent PC.

Personally, I would still prefer my Mac over anything else. They are built to last , I've used my last mac for over 5 years before deciding to buy a newer model even though the old one still worked fine. Most professionals use Mac for their work too.

There are only a handful of games for Mac, but they are enough for me anyway so its really up to you.

-Jephz

Very Big thanks goes out to both of you. You've made my decision much easier. I'm about 200 bucks away from purchasing a 15" MBP. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:36

Yay! Smile In Turkish there is an idiom "Güle güle kullan" which means "Use it in good times,I hope it makes you happy".I'm having difficulty finding one in English now,so "Güle güle kullan" Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top