Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] Empty How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Post by Admin Fri 19 Apr 2013, 22:19

Update 2019: since a lot of people these days seem to be having difficulties with uTorrent, you may also consider trying different torrent clients such as Tixati, qBittorrent, Transmission, Deluge, etc. The settings in these clients should not differ all too much from the settings shown below; but in the future we may come up with new guides, for different (other) torrent clients!

A.k.a. we don't recommend using uTorrent anymore, in the year 2019!

- The_gh0stm4n

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Hello everyone,

As promised, here's a little guide on how to configure your Bittorrent client in order to achieve high(er) download speeds in your Bittorrent client. For this guide I've used µTorrent, which I highly recommend using. The instructions will be pretty much the same for all other clients. Some options might have another name though.

The first thing to do is not extremely important, but it's generally recommended to uncheck the Send detailed info when checking for updates (always anonymous) option.
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] 111

As for the Connection tab, check everything as shown below:
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] 210
DO NOT check Randomize port each start and be sure to actually FORWARD the port that you've entered in the Port used for incoming connections box. This guide doesn't describe how to do that, since it's different for all routers. Try this website though: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
Or feel free to contact us if you need personal help, we'd love to help!

Let's move on to the Bandwidth tab. Change the settings as shown below:
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] 45263410
It's very tempting to set a Maximum upload rate, but keep in mind that this will actually slow down your download speed 9 out of 10 times! You 'aint seeding, you 'aint succeeding, as we like to say.
Also uncheck the Apply rate limit to transport overhead and Apply rate limit to uTP connections options.

In the BitTorrent tab, turn off the Enable bandwidth management [uTP] and Limit local peer bandwidth options. Also be sure to set outgoing Protocol Encryption to Forced and check Allow incoming legacy connections, as shown below.
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] 5v4tgt10

Last but not least, in the Queueing tab, you might want to change the following settings:
How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] 510
It has nothing to do with your actual download speed, but remember: sharing is caring!

I hope this guide has helped you! If not, feel free to open a new topic in the correct Forum, so we can provide personal help.
Also keep in mind that Port forwarding is very important too, so do that FIRST!

Have fun!

Last edited by Admin on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 23:05; edited 8 times in total
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] Empty Re: How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 16:39

thank you soooooo much! *kisses Admin-sama on the mouth, Bugs Bunny style*

edit: I forgot to press apply so I've been suffering for nearly 8 hours from slow download, silly me Facepalm

Last edited by Kotona14 on Tue 25 Jun 2013, 02:09; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE] Empty Re: How to speed up/fix µTorrent downloads. [GUIDE]

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jun 2013, 16:40

Thank you so much, Admin! It works. Very Happy From 10 kB/s it went all the way up to 250 kB/s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 14:34

thank you Admin Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Narong30 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 14:48

You can speed up by Call your ISP and ask them upgrade your line.
Narong30
Narong30
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Favourite games : Call Of Duty ( 4,6 ) , Warcraft 3 frozen throne ( Dota )

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 26 Jun 2013, 15:05

Narong30 wrote:You can speed up by Call your ISP and ask them upgrade your line.
Yes, but we prefer free alternatives, of course.
Besides, this will get the fullest out of your current connection, for which you pay.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 16:36

Narong30 wrote:You can speed up by Call your ISP and ask them upgrade your line.

Or switch to a better provider...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 21:03

TUN3R wrote:

Or switch to a better provider...
or get a seedbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 22:36

Astro Zee wrote:or get a seedbox

The hell is a seedbox?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Jun 2013, 02:38

TUN3R wrote:
Astro Zee wrote:or get a seedbox

The hell is a seedbox?
A seedbox is a dedicated high- speed private server for downloading and uploading files. 

See here.

I believe it is like a proxy for torrents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Jun 2013, 17:51

wow... my speed is now 10x faster than before the change.... Thanks admin!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Sep 2013, 21:13

150 KB/s WOW!

(my normal speed is 50/90 KB/s)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 10:31

147 KB/s! affraid cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 19:48

700 kb/s!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 20:52

thank you for this! My download time went from 12 hours to 1 hour. It's usually at 600kb/700kb but now is at 1MB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 21:44

OMG affraid 
That actually helped so much cheers It was downloading about 50kB/s and now is 400kB/s Laughing 
Thank you soooooooooooo much!! I love you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 22:25

Download speed is up between 700-1000 kb/s and upload speed is up 400-800 kb/s o_o Never in my time of torrenting have I seen it that high. Thank you! Port Forwarding was a hassle because I never spent any time learning how to do it 'till now. (If I actually did it correctly, That is) Anyways, Thank you again Smile

Edit: Just check it again and it was up at 2 mb/s. I seriously can't thank you enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 12:00

Thank you so much!! appreciate it!Very Happy :newfag:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Nov 2013, 08:45

hi..im a bit confused...what am i supposed to put on the maximum speed?

ty.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 11 Nov 2013, 08:55

pammy1120 wrote:hi..im a bit confused...what am i supposed to put on the maximum speed?

ty.
Hello,

Change all the settings like they are shown in the pictures ! So look at the parts of the pictures that are marked red; then open your uTorrent and find the option that is shown in the picture.

Then just change it to the number that is shown, in the screenshots above.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Nov 2013, 09:03

Hi..i really don't know what to put on maximum upload rate what to put on port box..because i dont see my service provider on the list the link you've provided//

i'm currently downloading The Sims 3 Into the Future and my speed is 17kbps and my ETA is 3 days..please help.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 11 Nov 2013, 09:15

pammy1120 wrote:Hi..i really don't know what to put on maximum upload rate what to put on port box..because i dont see my service provider on the list the link you've provided//

i'm currently downloading The Sims 3 Into the Future and my speed is 17kbps and my ETA is 3 days..please help.
The maximum upload rate is 0 (as shown in the picture).

And what is the manufacturer of your router ? And can you also give us the model number ?

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Nov 2013, 09:20

im actually using a wireless connection..smart pocket wi-fi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Nov 2013, 13:57

How can I apply this on the Mac version?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 11 Nov 2013, 21:45

pammy1120 wrote:im actually using a wireless connection..smart pocket wi-fi.
Hello there,

Perhaps you can find more information here: http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband/Port-forwarding-not-working-for-me-pocketwifi/td-p/134612
Port forwarding is mostly for upload speed, but it's good to do anyway.

If that link didn't help (please do actually read it), please open a new topic here: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/f24-software , so we can try to assist you. Thank you!

constermock wrote:How can I apply this on the Mac version?
Hmmm... I'm not sure, don't the options look pretty much the same?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male