Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Screen turns off when starting the game

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Screen turns off when starting the game Empty Screen turns off when starting the game

Post by Guest Mon 25 Nov 2013, 19:12

Hi,

I have an issue with my game. Whenever I try to start up my sims 3 game my screen turns off.
It's not just a black screen, the whole monitor goes in standby. I really don't know what to do, this problem showed up out of nowhere and I can't seem to fix it. 
The game itself is working because I can hear the music. I already tried reinstalling my base game, removing my downloads, but nothing works. 
Any advice? Smile Thanks

Help

Back to top Go down

Screen turns off when starting the game Empty Re: Screen turns off when starting the game

Post by Sephymuffins Mon 25 Nov 2013, 20:51

Hello,

So you are running the game without any Mods or Custom Content?  And you visited this thread and followed all of the steps as accurately as possible?

If you've applied the manual patch and the ultimate fix, tested the game without any Mods or CC, I'd advise you to go to:  My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and make a copy of 'The Sims 3' folder.  You can do this by right-clicking on the folder, copying it, then going to your desktop and pasting.  'The Sims 3' folder should show up on your desktop and this is where your saved games will be backed up.

You can now safely delete the 'The Sims 3' folder you have in your documents.  Once you delete it (again, keep the backup one on your desktop), boot up your game and test it out.  When you boot up your game, it automatically creates a brand new 'The Sims 3' folder within My Documents/Electronic Arts/.  

Running your game on a brand new folder sometimes will help.
If it doesn't, it may be that you need to apply the manual patch and ultimate fix again (see the link I posted above).  If THAT doesn't work, it may be a hardware or graphical issue... in other words, it may be your PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Happy Simming The Sims Plumbob 1
Sephymuffins
Sephymuffins
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims™, Final Fantasy, F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Minecraft, DayZ, Infestation: Survivor Stories, 7 Days To Die, Metal Gear Rising, The Walking Dead, Fable 3, Bioshock, Skyrim, Fallout, Spore.

Female

Back to top Go down

Screen turns off when starting the game Empty Re: Screen turns off when starting the game

Post by Guest Mon 25 Nov 2013, 21:06

Seems like I had no graphics driver on my pc Shocked  Don't know when that happened. I fixed it but now there's a new problem. I need to update my game (because I reinstalled the base game) so I downloaded the ultimate fix and just did this step:

10. For The Sims 3 – Into the Future &Movie Stuff &Island Paradise & University Life & 70s, 80s and
90s Stuff & Seasons & Supernatural & Diesel Stuff & Katy Perry’s Sweet Treats & Showtime &
Master Suite Stuff & Pets & Town Life Stuff & Generations: open the "All expansion packs released
after and including Generations" folder in this .rar file and drag & drop both files in there to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin (SO NOT TO THE EXPANSION’S GAME

Now my launcher crashes when I try to open it. Oh well. Trying the manual patch now, hopefully that works :p

EDIT: It worked, game is up to date, latest driver is installed... But the problem with the screen is still there :'(

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 27 Nov 2013, 17:12

EvelienB wrote:Seems like I had no graphics driver on my pc Shocked  Don't know when that happened. I fixed it but now there's a new problem. I need to update my game (because I reinstalled the base game) so I downloaded the ultimate fix and just did this step:

10. For The Sims 3 – Into the Future &Movie Stuff &Island Paradise & University Life & 70s, 80s and
90s Stuff & Seasons & Supernatural & Diesel Stuff & Katy Perry’s Sweet Treats & Showtime &
Master Suite Stuff & Pets & Town Life Stuff & Generations: open the "All expansion packs released
after and including Generations" folder in this .rar file and drag & drop both files in there to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin (SO NOT TO THE EXPANSION’S GAME

Now my launcher crashes when I try to open it. Oh well. Trying the manual patch now, hopefully that works :p

EDIT: It worked, game is up to date, latest driver is installed... But the problem with the screen is still there :'(
Hello,

Do you get this problem with other games too, or only with The Sims 3 ? I suspect this has nothing to do with how you installed the game; it may have to do with your hardware. You might want to let your computer get checked by a professional.

What you still CAN try is to lower your screen graphics settings (resolution,..) but I'm not sure if this can help you. I still suggest you consult someone with more specialized knowledge on this; since I can't help too much with hardware problems.

But feel free to wait for a second opinion from another Helper/Mod/Admin though.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Nov 2013, 10:39

Same thing happens when I start up Sims 2. Seems like something is wrong with my hardware like you said Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Fri 29 Nov 2013, 16:11

Then I am afraid you might want hardware replacement, or want to build a new pc, or buy a new computer/call a technician to check the problem.

Before you do that though, please make sure all of your graphic drivers are up-to-date. To do so,

Go to Control Panel >> System and Security>> System >> Device manager.
Expand the tab "Display Adapter". If you can see something below it, right-click it and choose "Update Driver Software".
If that doesn't help go to your corresponding graphic card site and download a suitable graphic driver software for you.

However, like Carlos said, it might have something to do with your hardware.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Dec 2013, 21:53

The driver was also up to date. Buying a new pc is not necessary I hope. I'm buying a new graphic card. Hopefully it will work. Thanks for your help!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top