Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Sims 3 has stopped working"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"The Sims 3 has stopped working" Empty "The Sims 3 has stopped working"

Post by Guest Mon 31 Mar 2014, 00:02

I keep getting the same old "The Sims 3 has stopped working" notification it crashes to the desktop. I've had this problem before and I can normally remedy it with a patch and adding sorting out the DEP files but this time it keeps happening within 20 minutes of me starting up the game.

I've added a screenshot of my crash analyser which was stating that my game was crashing due to lack of memory. I've got through the checklist of things to solve this and I've done it thoroughly so I'm not sure why it's still not letting me play, I've been playing Sims for years so it's not like my computer can't handle the game.

Can anyone shed some light on this at all please?

//EDIT

"The Sims 3 has stopped working" Browse

Back to top Go down

"The Sims 3 has stopped working" Empty Re: "The Sims 3 has stopped working"

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 01 Apr 2014, 21:23

DrKennethNoisewater wrote:I keep getting the same old "The Sims 3 has stopped working" notification it crashes to the desktop. I've had this problem before and I can normally remedy it with a patch and adding sorting out the DEP files but this time it keeps happening within 20 minutes of me starting up the game.

I've added a screenshot of my crash analyser which was stating that my game was crashing due to lack of memory. I've got through the checklist of things to solve this and I've done it thoroughly so I'm not sure why it's still not letting me play, I've been playing Sims for years so it's not like my computer can't handle the game.

//EDIT

Hello,

Just to make sure: have another look at this here and (re-)do the steps from #2 to #4: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

Now, have a look at this other topic here and do all steps: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

If your Windows is a 64-bit version AND if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, then focus on step #3 in particular. Download the "4 GB patch" from here. After downloading, double-click on that 4 GB patch and in the next prompt, choose the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually, that's C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched" and close the 4 GB patch.

Note that this method will not work if your Windows is a 32-bit version and/or if your computer has fewer than 4 GB of RAM. After doing that, go on with the rest of the steps. These instructions should be pretty self-explanatory.

Now go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and delete all contents inside the Currentgame.sims3 folder. Also, in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, delete the following stuff:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-simCompositorCache.package
-socialCache.package
-plus the contents of the folders "WorldCaches" & "Thumbnails"

Re-start the game then and see if anything improved. You may even turn off your anti-virus program completely before playing The Sims 3.

Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 14:55

Carlos wrote:
DrKennethNoisewater wrote:I keep getting the same old "The Sims 3 has stopped working" notification it crashes to the desktop. I've had this problem before and I can normally remedy it with a patch and adding sorting out the DEP files but this time it keeps happening within 20 minutes of me starting up the game.

//EDIT

Hello,

Just to make sure: have another look at this here and (re-)do the steps from #2 to #4: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly

Now, have a look at this other topic here and do all steps: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

If your Windows is a 64-bit version AND if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, then focus on step #3 in particular. Download the "4 GB patch" from here. After downloading, double-click on that 4 GB patch and in the next prompt, choose the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually, that's C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched" and close the 4 GB patch.

Note that this method will not work if your Windows is a 32-bit version and/or if your computer has fewer than 4 GB of RAM. After doing that, go on with the rest of the steps. These instructions should be pretty self-explanatory.

Now go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and delete all contents inside the Currentgame.sims3 folder. Also, in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, delete the following stuff:

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-socialCache.package

Re-start the game then and see if anything improved. You may even turn off your anti-virus program completely before playing The Sims 3.

Good luck !
Greetings, can you be more specific where the Currentgame.sims3 folder lies. I can't find it in my "The Sims 3" folder. I can only find "Caches, Game, Gamedata, support  and Thumbnails." Thanks bud. Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by invalidusername Wed 02 Apr 2014, 18:37

The Currentgame.sims3 would be "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CurrentGame.sims3" if you don't have it, that's fine, since that just means the folder is empty anyways. Smile So go ahead and try the game with everything else you've been able to do.
invalidusername
invalidusername
G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderatrix Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims, Assassin's Creed (All), Elder Scolls, Dragon Age : Origins, Harvest Moon, Mario, Zelda, Psychonauts, SimCity, House of the Dead : Overkill, Magic: The Gathering, Saint's Row, Civilization 5, The Witcher

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 20:54

invalidusername wrote:The Currentgame.sims3 would be "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CurrentGame.sims3" if you don't have it, that's fine, since that just means the folder is empty anyways. Smile So go ahead and try the game with everything else you've been able to do.
Okay thank you.  Very Happy Though I have tried both https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014 AND https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly  As suggested by Carlos. None of these works for me. affraid 

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 02 Apr 2014, 22:04

Kasperbo2 wrote:
invalidusername wrote:The Currentgame.sims3 would be "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CurrentGame.sims3" if you don't have it, that's fine, since that just means the folder is empty anyways. Smile So go ahead and try the game with everything else you've been able to do.
Okay thank you.  Very Happy Though I have tried both https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014 AND https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly  As suggested by Carlos. None of these works for me. affraid 

Normally, you'd have to open a NEW topic for your issue(s), instead of posting under someone else's topic. But I'll make an exception here.

However, if you insist that you did everything what I decribed above correctly, then there isn't THAT much to add, from a technical point of view (I'll just assume for now, that your computer is strong enough to handle the game + expansions; if in doubt, please google for "can you run it" - that should be self-explanatory to use).

Can you go to your base game location and use the TS3W.exe to start the game ? Also, can you right-click on that file and choose "run as Administrator", if you have Window Vista or a later OS ? Note: the base game location is usually in C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin.

Next, can you complety turn off your anti-virus software before playing The Sims 3 ? Also, do you have enough free space on your hard-drive C: ? And did you defragment the drive already ?

Plus, does it play a role if you lower some graphics settings in the in-game options menu ? Start with resolution, edge smoothing and lot detail.

Good luck for now !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 23:03

Carlos wrote:
Kasperbo2 wrote:

Normally, you'd have to open a NEW topic for your issue(s), instead of posting under someone else's topic. But I'll make an exception here.

However, if you insist that you did everything what I decribed above correctly, then there isn't THAT much to add, from a technical point of view (I'll just assume for now, that your computer is strong enough to handle the game + expansions; if in doubt, please google for "can you run it" - that should be self-explanatory to use).

Can you go to your base game location and use the TS3W.exe to start the game ? Also, can you right-click on that file and choose "run as Administrator", if you have Window Vista or a later OS ? Note: the base game location is usually in C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin.

Next, can you complety turn off your anti-virus software before playing The Sims 3 ? Also, do you have enough free space on your hard-drive C: ? And did you defragment the drive already ?

Plus, does it play a role if you lower some graphics settings in the in-game options menu ? Start with resolution, edge smoothing and lot detail.

Good luck for now !
Yeah, im pretty sure my computer can run it. "Alienware m14x" Yeah, I have disabled my antivirus. I got alot of space on my computer "241GB". I have defragmented my drive. BUT... When i go in "control pannel" then "system and security" At the bottom it says I have "Flash player (32Bit)" But my computer is 64 Bit. Could that be the source of my problem? Shocked  Sad Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 02 Apr 2014, 23:15

Kasperbo2 wrote:Yeah, im pretty sure my computer can run it. "Alienware m14x" Yeah, I have disabled my antivirus. I got alot of space on my computer "241GB". I have defragmented my drive. BUT... When i go in "control pannel" then "system and security" At the bottom it says I have "Flash player (32Bit)" But my computer is 64 Bit. Could that be the source of my problem? Shocked  Sad Thanks.

No, that's not an issue. It just means that this application is a 32-bit version. Having 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Windows is not really a problem. The Sims 3 is a 32-bit application too, and that's why I mentioned above that you should use the 4 GB patch correctly. I'm not going into details now on 32-bit vs. 64-bit, because that's not relevant.

That said, there isn't much for me left to say at this point. I might come back to you if I remember anything else; or maybe another Helper/Mod has another idea.

//EDIT

When exactly is your game crashing ? Does it happen randomly or if you do specific interactions ? 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Apr 2014, 23:57

It happens around 20 minutes ingame. But sometimes 10 or less. Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Apr 2014, 21:32

Carlos wrote:

//EDIT

Hello,

-CASPartCache.package
-compositorCache.package
-scriptCache.package
-socialCache.package

Good luck !

Hi, 
It doesn't help much that my screenshot didn't show up but it stated that the reason the sims was crashing was due to memory.

I follow this topic religiously https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014
so I was sure to carry out each of the steps before I posted this topic, and considering I have this problem each time a new patch is updated I almost always have to follow each step of the fix anyway. However I am still having this trouble even now :/

As I said, I ran a crash analyser which said that the reason for the crash was memory and I wondered if anyone had a remedy for memory issues aside from the 4GB patch, which I have already done?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 16 Apr 2014, 13:09

DrKennethNoisewater wrote:
Hi, 
It doesn't help much that my screenshot didn't show up but it stated that the reason the sims was crashing was due to memory.

I follow this topic religiously https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014
so I was sure to carry out each of the steps before I posted this topic, and considering I have this problem each time a new patch is updated I almost always have to follow each step of the fix anyway. However I am still having this trouble even now :/

As I said, I ran a crash analyser which said that the reason for the crash was memory and I wondered if anyone had a remedy for memory issues aside from the 4GB patch, which I have already done?

From a technical standpoint, if you really insist you have done "everything right", there isn't much to add to what I said already, but let's see.

Go to your System Control Panel, then System and security -> System -> Advanced System settings (right-hand side) -> Advanced (tab) -> Performance (settings) -> Advanced -> Virtual memory (change).

There, change the value under "custom size" to something higher than the value that is there. I think there should also be something like "recommended value", so you can use that value. In my case for example the "recommended value" is 6034 MB.

You should close all windows then first by clicking on "apply", then "OK". Re-boot the computer then, and then start the game and see if anything changed.

P.S the "crash log analyzer" is rarely reliable.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top