Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not enough memory space. Help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not enough memory space. Help? Empty Not enough memory space. Help?

Post by Guest Sat 19 Apr 2014, 01:28

So I've had the Sims 3 basically since it came out.  But I got a new laptop for college, and decided to download the game on it.  I went out and bought an external hard drive so that it wouldn't bog down my laptop.  I went ahead and download just the base game back in October, and it worked just fine.  But then after Christmas I bought four expansion packs without the disks and downloaded them as well.  Now when I try to play it, a message keeps popping up that minimizes the game saying that there isn't enough memory space and that it needs to shut down my game to keep from losing memory.  I don't understand why, though.  There's 395 GB free out of 452 GB on my actual laptop, and there's 447 GB free out of 465 GB on my external hard drive.  And once I push cancel on that message three or four times, it crashes my game altogether.

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? And can explain it to me in simple terms? Thanks guys!

Back to top Go down

Not enough memory space. Help? Empty Re: Not enough memory space. Help?

Post by J.T. Sat 19 Apr 2014, 02:01

Hello,

"Memory" here means Random-access Memory (as known as RAM), not physical memory. Depending on how much memory you have (it also depends on your hardware and other specifications), the performance of the game will be affected.

As far as I am concerned, this situation occurs only if you do not have enough RAM in your pc for the game, or you do not allocate enough RAM for the game.

Can you tell us how much RAM you have? To do so, go to Control Panel >> System and Security >> System and you will see a field called Installed Memory (RAM).

Next, you should try the steps here: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014 . You should take note of the instructions especially regarding 4GB patch as that may fix your problem.

Good luck and let us know if you need any help.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Apr 2014, 04:31

Ooh, thank you. I tried that patch for the RAM, and it is still crashing. My computer says it has 4.00 GB of RAM and 3.88 GB are usable, so I'm not sure why it is still not working correctly. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Sat 19 Apr 2014, 06:39

dani7951 wrote:Ooh, thank you. I tried that patch for the RAM, and it is still crashing. My computer says it has 4.00 GB of RAM and 3.88 GB are usable, so I'm not sure why it is still not working correctly. Sad

I am assuming the error of "not enough memory" has vanished right? If so, please delete the following caches in C:\Users\(your account username)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3:

CasPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
simCompositorCache.package
socialCache.package

After that, restart your game to see if there are any differences. Good luck!
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 19 Apr 2014, 10:11

dani7951 wrote:Ooh, thank you. I tried that patch for the RAM, and it is still crashing. My computer says it has 4.00 GB of RAM and 3.88 GB are usable, so I'm not sure why it is still not working correctly. Sad

Hello,

I'm not sure if that is relevant here, but is your Windows a 32-bit or 64-bit version ? Also, where did you get your base game from ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Apr 2014, 15:26

I tried deleting those cache's, but it still crashes. And that message still pops up.

It's a 64-bit version. And I got my base game as a present when it first came out. I think they got it from Walmart.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 19 Apr 2014, 19:59

dani7951 wrote:I tried deleting those cache's, but it still crashes. And that message still pops up.

It's a 64-bit version. And I got my base game as a present when it first came out. I think they got it from Walmart.

Hello,

Did you correctly apply the 4 GB patch ? Now, have another look at this here: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

If your Windows is a 64-bit version AND if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, then focus on step #3 in particular. Download the "4 GB patch" from here. After downloading, double-click on that 4 GB patch and in the next prompt, choose the TS3W.exe in your base game location. Usually, that's C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin. Wait for the message "executable successfully patched" and close the 4 GB patch.

Good luck again !

//EDIT

I hope you actually CLOSED all open programs/applications before playing The Sims 3 ? Please do so, if you missed that. You might even try the tool "GameBooster" (look on Piratebay), which can help you close unnecessary background programs/apps/sevices and hence improve your gaming experience.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top