Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Butler Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Butler Issues Empty Butler Issues

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:32

Haven't seen this problem on your forum (or answered anywhere else for that matter) so I thought I'd post my observations and question.
I use Nraas MasterController, Overwatch, DebugEnabler and Story Progression (plus a few other non-nraas mods).

First my observations:
-Butlers and visiting sims cannot use the bookcase door even if opened in front of them. I assume the rotating wall doors will only work for controlled/resident sims as well. Pity cause I loved those doors (led to basement and guest bathroom-fail).
-Door to butler's room may need to be locked to pets to prevent them from being woke up mid sleep(bad dog!).
-Butlers will mainline coffee instead of going to bed if you have a coffee machine. BUG: Rita got stuck perm drinking a mug of coffee for over a sim day and the only option that worked to fix it was ResetSim.
-Butlers love juice. If you are training mixology and trying to mass produce those 500 drinks you will see your butler run back and forth drinking glasses off the various platters. You may want to avoid making Romantic drinks or avoid butlers altogether while training Mixology(unless of course you want to be romantically involved with them). [Rita stalked my sim at the professional counter, then took a break to use her personal juice bar in her room before resuming following him around to grab more of his drinks. @.@ aren't you blitzed YET?]
-You can tutor a butler in additional skills but the option is only available while they are not employed by you.
-Happy butlers don't seem to quit even if the only place they ever sleep is the floor. [Rita's mood is pretty stable at elated and since she will NOT use her bed she naps on the floor- despite this she has never quit]

I'm playing in Moonlight Falls and the two butlers it started me off with are:
Mr. Carmelo Carr     Brave, Family Oriented, Neat, Charismatic, Great Kisser  White        Mushroom Omelette  
Ms. Rita McConnell  Brave, Family Oriented, Neat, Ambitious, Disciplined       Spiceberry  Vegetarian Dim Sum  French Music

Now Carmelo on his first day messed with my beehives and played with my dog, then once he got tired he properly routed to his bed in the basement (at this point not much more than a walk in closet(single bed) with bookcase and attached bathroom). Unfortunately when he got to my basement he developed a nasty case of invisible(saw invisible lump in bed or wouldn't have caught it) and had to be fired via ResetSim. On rehires he shows up initially but regains his invisibility problem so I always dismiss him. NOTE: Invisibility problem with Carmelo may be unique to my current game.
Rita showed up, worked, used the bed on her first night but on subsequent nights refused to path to it. Had my sim lay on it.. no problems there... rebought it... still preferred to work till she dropped. Axed the original quarters altogether, moved my music stuff from my art & music room and made new quarters on the second floor. Someone mentioned they like juice bars in another forum's thread so she got a new double bed(best stats) in a bigger room with bookcase, chair, end table, most $$ non-prof juice bar and private bathroom. This new bed she pathed to no problem. So after over a week of her successfully using this new bed I made a new butler suite in my basement and moved her furnishings into it so I could have my music room back. After this she kept complaining about EVERY locked door in my house (most going to currently unused rooms, the door on the master balcony and my front gate). Ok.. twit... ::stashes unused doors in family inventory::. She continues to path fail about my front gate so much Overwatch resets her. Crap. Hire/fires Carmelo and rehires Rita. Immediately resumes path fails about balcony till Overwatch again resets her. Another phone call and Carmelo appears... since he is unusable I use Total Annihilation on him(sorry guy, be less invisible next game). Go into build mode and clone the hot tub from the balcony, tossing the second one down in the back of my lot (praying I don't need to put a hot tub in her bloody room to get her to use it). Call services and they send over Rita who THIS time decides to go swimming(yay! no path fail) followed by endless musical chairs(interrupted only when I break the dishwasher and it makes a mess). She gets tired but REFUSES to go to her bed. Her bed IS set and it is brand new. Door is locked only to pets(which it was before as well, it's her same door from the room upstairs) and my own sims can use it no problems.

Currently investigating: Can a butler fulfill skill challenges... making her repair electronics for the Electrician challenge since the reward is never be electrocuted during repairs.
INVESTIGATION RESULTS: Once I had the requisite 10 electrical repairs (I kept count) I saved and added her to the family where I saw that Electrician was in fact achieved. This may be a good way to help keep around useful butlers. (I also had one of my sims gift her a death flower, though so far she hasn't tried dying on me as a butler.)

THE QUESTION: Can butlers use a basement bedroom? Does it have anything to do with the fact my basement is through a foundation? (There is a landing between my stairs and she has no problem going down to the basement for things other than sleeping)

Last edited by Taikira on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 00:52; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Investigation update, minor error fixed, observations added)

Back to top Go down

Butler Issues Empty Re: Butler Issues

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 11:57

I placed a bedroom for the butler at least once in the foundation and there was no problem. I first tried to place it in the house hidden by the bookshelf doors, but that didn't work. It might be made to work only for household members (only they know how to open it Wink ).

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 19 Jun 2014, 23:44

Sounds strange, and I may try it myself, next time I play. As with many other cases in that game, I prefer pragmatic solutions, instead of focussing too much on all the glitches, and yes, the situation you described sounds very much like a glitch.

I don't need butlers, since I have 2 genies and 2 witches in my household, and they all can clean up the house in an instance. Genies can also "summon food", but cooking itself doesn't take too much time. Same with the occasional repairs.

What I'm trying to say is this: if the problems you experience with butlers are so big, that you can't really enjoy the game anymore, then you may try going for other in-game solutions (like the one I'm doing, with the genies and witches). Smile  

The Sims Plumbob 1 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jun 2014, 00:29

I hired her to feed my bird collection XD. I'm using a mod designed to make butlers feed/clean your minor pets, but ever since Overwatch reset her she doesn't take care of them anymore (she had been doing so for several sim weeks prior to this).

I am firing her for the time being. Unless someone gets an idea to make the basement room work or to make her resume taking care of my birds she's just annoying me with all the running back and forth between seating.

OMG I just realized I forgot something I wanted in the main post (I designed it to be a general reference with all the info I've gathered). Must fix that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top