Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microsoft Word 2013 crashing - other applications fine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Microsoft Word 2013 crashing - other applications fine Empty Microsoft Word 2013 crashing - other applications fine

Post by Guest Fri 05 Dec 2014, 07:24

Hey guys, I downloaded the MS Office 2013 Professional package from TPB, and after the installation I seem to have an issue with using Word. It constantly crashes on the splash screen when loading and only works if I boot it in Safe Mode via the Run application. I tried disabling the Addins to but it was to no avail.

All the other applications work fine (i.e. Excel, PP, Publish, etc) - the problem just seems to be with Word only, any ideas?

Much appreciated!

Back to top Go down

Microsoft Word 2013 crashing - other applications fine Empty Re: Microsoft Word 2013 crashing - other applications fine

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 05 Dec 2014, 20:14

Praesti wrote:Hey guys, I downloaded the MS Office 2013 Professional package from TPB, and after the installation I seem to have an issue with using Word. It constantly crashes on the splash screen when loading and only works if I boot it in Safe Mode via the Run application. I tried disabling the Addins to but it was to no avail.

All the other applications work fine (i.e. Excel, PP, Publish, etc) - the problem just seems to be with Word only, any ideas?

Much appreciated!

Hello Praesti and welcome,

Do/did you have any older Microsoft Office versions prior to installing this new 2013 version ? If so, did you make sure to un-install the old one(s) properly ?

And if that's not the case, does it crash with some kind of special error message ? 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Microsoft Word 2013 crashing - other applications fine Empty Re: Microsoft Word 2013 crashing - other applications fine

Post by Guest Sat 06 Dec 2014, 01:22

Thanks for the warm welcome, Carlos. ^^

I did ensure that Office 2008 was uninstalled before installing 2013.  There is no specific error message, it just simply says that Microsoft Word has stopped working.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 06 Dec 2014, 11:13

Praesti wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, Carlos. ^^

I did ensure that Office 2008 was uninstalled before installing 2013.  There is no specific error message, it just simply says that Microsoft Word has stopped working.

Not sure if it's worth a shot, but can you download this here, and then try installing it (double-click it) ? 
http://www.displaylink.com/support/sla.php?fileid=138

Click on "agree" and then download/install that thing. After that, try re-running Word 2013. Good luck and keep us posted, so that we may try a few other things then, if necessary.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 08:33

Hey Carlos, sorry about the late reply!

I'm afraid nothings changed, I downloaded the program, ran it and Word still crashes at the splash screen.

//EDIT

Nevermind, Carlos!

Glad to say I managed to find the problem, looks like it was a corrupted template that I had to delete from the "%Appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup" location.

Many thanks for your help and patience, however!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 10 Dec 2014, 10:47

Praesti wrote:Hey Carlos, sorry about the late reply!

I'm afraid nothings changed, I downloaded the program, ran it and Word still crashes at the splash screen.

//EDIT

Nevermind, Carlos!

Glad to say I managed to find the problem, looks like it was a corrupted template that I had to delete from the "%Appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup" location.

Many thanks for your help and patience, however!

That's good to hear ! Smile  But can you give us some more details about the template causing this ? What kind of template was it, and where did you get it from (= I assume that was a custom template) ?
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:26

It wasn't a custom template to my knowledge, I hadn't been able to open Word since installing it. I no longer have the laptop that I installed it on (was for a friend) but I believe the document had a strange name - EW3707C or some other - if you want I can repost the name when I find out?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 10 Dec 2014, 17:15

Praesti wrote:It wasn't a custom template to my knowledge, I hadn't been able to open Word since installing it. I no longer have the laptop that I installed it on (was for a friend) but I believe the document had a strange name - EW3707C or some other - if you want I can repost the name when I find out?

Sure, no problem. Take your time and post back here whenever you get the details. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top