Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 8.1 Install trouble

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 8.1 Install trouble Empty Windows 8.1 Install trouble

Post by Guest Tue 22 Sep 2015, 07:32

Okay so ive been trying to upgrade for awhile so i decided to download yours. It keeps getting stuck at

Getting Files Ready for Installation (44%/45%) <- Meaning it always freezes at these two points

I am so tired of of trying to upgrade. First microsoft makes it RIDICULOUSLY hard for pros to upgrade and now i finally have what i need and its just stops.

Back to top Go down

Windows 8.1 Install trouble Empty Re: Windows 8.1 Install trouble

Post by Admin Tue 22 Sep 2015, 20:42

Hello,

That part can take quite a while to finish sometimes. How long have you tried to wait?
And are you doing a clean installation? (E.g. formatting your HDD(s) via the installation wizard, and then installing a completely clean version of windows 8.1)
Also, did you burn the .ISO to a DVD, or did you use a USB stick?
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep 2015, 01:14

Admin wrote:Hello,

That part can take quite a while to finish sometimes. How long have you tried to wait?
And are you doing a clean installation? (E.g. formatting your HDD(s) via the installation wizard, and then installing a completely clean version of windows 8.1)
Also, did you burn the .ISO to a DVD, or did you use a USB stick?
Sorry for the late response. I completely deleted all partitions on the HD and installed clean install. I also burned a dvd. I'm going to let it run for a few hours hopefully it works or i'm in big trouble, ( i was fixing said computer for my sibling)

UPDATE: Attempting to install windows 8.1 without nukeing (full reformatt) will cause it to permanently lock up at the early stages. Which is depressing since some of the files i lost were important. (i didnt think to back them up since im used to the old files being stored in the c drive.) Thje computer is up and running with seemingly no issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 25 Sep 2015, 23:45

Hi there,

Glad to hear that did the trick.
I'm really sorry to hear about the lost files, I know how extremely frustrating that can be. Especially if the files were important for you. I know that you do not want to hear the "THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES!!11!!!¡¡11", so I'll skip that. Razz

What you can try, if the files were really important for you:

1. Insert the PC's HDD in an external case and then connect it to another PC, OR connect it to another PC internally. (Via a SATA cable) That way it will be recognized as a "data" disk.
2. Now run a deep scan with file recovery software. You can use Recuva for example, but you might prefer something more advanced. Good software can take hours to complete, depending on the size of the disk. I do not recommend any "quick scans". If the files are important, time shouldn't be too much of a problem.

3. After a few hours - remember, this can take a VERY long time - you'll get a list of all the files that were found. This includes files that have been previously removed, but not yet overwritten by new data. (Files are not really deleted when you select to "Delete" them in your operating system)

Hopefully you can get your files back this way. Or at least some of them.

Good luck!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Sep 2015, 05:54

Admin wrote:Hi there,

Glad to hear that did the trick.
I'm really sorry to hear about the lost files, I know how extremely frustrating that can be. Especially if the files were important for you. I know that you do not want to hear the "THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES!!11!!!¡¡11", so I'll skip that. Razz

What you can try, if the files were really important for you:

1. Insert the PC's HDD in an external case and then connect it to another PC, OR connect it to another PC internally. (Via a SATA cable) That way it will be recognized as a "data" disk.
2. Now run a deep scan with file recovery software. You can use Recuva for example, but you might prefer something more advanced. Good software can take hours to complete, depending on the size of the disk. I do not recommend any "quick scans". If the files are important, time shouldn't be too much of a problem.

3. After a few hours - remember, this can take a VERY long time - you'll get a list of all the files that were found. This includes files that have been previously removed, but not yet overwritten by new data. (Files are not really deleted when you select to "Delete" them in your operating system)

Hopefully you can get your files back this way. Or at least some of them.

Good luck!

NAh it's fine they werent my files anyway. lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top