Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Avoid ISP Detection?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Avoid ISP Detection? Empty Avoid ISP Detection?

Post by Guest Thu 18 Feb 2016, 02:07

Sorry if this is against the rules, I tried to read them but it brought me to the forum chatbox (?)

When I updated to windows 10, my computer deleted a lot of my games. All of my Sims 3 games, even the ones I bought, and even my steam games were uninstalled. I'm not sure why that happened.
I started re-downloading Seasons and suddenly I was getting e-mails about pirating, I had 3 e-mails for all the things in my Vuze (Which have all been deleted)

I bought Sims 4 and I really want Get Together, but I don't support EA and also I'm a broke High Schooler Oh my...

Anyways, I've looked around the internet and some say proxy's work and some say they don't work and sell your information. I wanted to see what you guys do to avoid these situations, but next time I get caught "acquiring" a movie/game their "suing" us (I think they just cancel our internet but my mom will kill me nonetheless)  

I just want to play Sims!  Help

Back to top Go down

Avoid ISP Detection? Empty Re: Avoid ISP Detection?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 18 Feb 2016, 03:29

Hello @taintedcolors,

If you say the games "got deleted", that implies you installed them at some point. Didn't you have any backup of the installers ? One thing to always keep in mind is to backup your pirated software & games. For example, onto an external hard-drive. Try saving up for something along these lines. You don't need anything fancy here - but not having a backup means that you have to re-download everything in case something happens like in your situation. Alternatively you could also buy DVD discs and burn your downloaded installers there, though that will be more of a hassle than having an external hard-drive. Smile

I don't know why your stuff got deleted; it may have to do with your upgrading to Windows 10.

About your main question, I think @Admin may be able to help you better with that, next time he logs in. As for me, I myself never needed to use a VPN, mainly because I live very far away from the US, and the country I live in... although it is "Western", tends to have strained relations with the US. Hence copyright infringement isn't taken as seriously as in countries which are closer to the US, like the UK or Germany. Although...over here they are now also slowly starting with things like blocking Piratebay and whatnot.

I would for now try and verify those letters that you got. Get in touch with the ISP and ask about these letters. Should the letters be indeed verified, ask yourself how much you are going to use that VPN then, or if there aren't any cheaper alternative solutions (like e.g. asking a friend or relative to download for you, if you know they also pirated stuff in the past).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 27 Mar 2016, 01:30

taintedcolors wrote:I started re-downloading Seasons and suddenly I was getting e-mails about pirating, I had 3 e-mails for all the things in my Vuze (Which have all been deleted)
(...)
Anyways, I've looked around the internet and some say proxy's work and some say they don't work and sell your information. I wanted to see what you guys do to avoid these situations, but next time I get caught "acquiring" a movie/game their "suing" us (I think they just cancel our internet but my mom will kill me nonetheless)
Hi there,

Apologies for the very late reply! Sad
Anyway, removing the downloaded files after receiving that letter/e-mail is kind of "useless". They cannot see what you have on your PC, so they can't even confirm that you removed the downloaded files. (That would be considered hacking Razz ) They only sent those e-mails because the caught the files being downloaded from your IP address, and then sent an automated e-mail/letter, that's all.

Don't trust on proxies too much for this kind of stuff. If you really want to stay "hidden" while freely downloading, you're going to need a VPN. There are free and paid ones, although the paid ones are generally better. Make sure that the VPN provider does not store logs, and is not located in the US. Preferably go for an offshore one. Last but not least, also triple-check that the VPN provider you want to use, also covers P2P (torrents) connections. It would be useless if the VPN provider only covers your browser's internet connection. (Although I've never heard of a VPN that only covers browsers' connections, but still, they don't all allow P2P/torrenting on their networks)
See this very recent thread HERE and THIS thread about VPNs in general.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or concerns! Smile

Carlos wrote:About your main question, I think @Admin may be able to help you better with that, next time he logs in. As for me, I myself never needed to use a VPN, mainly because I live very far away from the US, and the country I live in... although it is "Western", tends to have strained relations with the US. Hence copyright infringement isn't taken as seriously as in countries which are closer to the US, like the UK or Germany. Although...over here they are now also slowly starting with things like blocking Piratebay and whatnot.
A VPN has many advantages! Just naming one: better protection when using open (read: unencrypted) wireless networks. By using a VPN, other (maybe malicious) users on that network can't log your internet traffic, since it's all encrypted. Even if you're visiting an unencrypted website. (Because you're still requesting the web page via an encrypted VPN tunnel)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top