Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If I delete the folders in my downloads section, will my game still work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If I delete the folders in my downloads section, will my game still work? Empty If I delete the folders in my downloads section, will my game still work?

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 04:26

Okay, so, I really want all the EPs and stuff packs for the Sims 3, but I'm having some space issues, so I had to forego world adventures and most stuff packs. I downloaded The Sims 3 complete collection from this site, followed the instructions and such, game works fine, but I think I have a way to make room for the extra stuff and expansion packs. The base game and all expansion and stuff packs have two folders each, one in the downloads section, and one in Program Files. Now, from what I understand, the folders in the downloads section have the setup application and the stuff necessary to install the game/ep/sp, while the ones in the PF section have all the stuff that actually makes the game work. If my assumption is correct, I should be able to delete the folders in the downloads section for the base game and all expansion and stuff packs I already have to free up space, right? Or are there important files in there that will mess up my game if deleted? Are there files in there I can safely delete? Lastly, assuming this works, after I install WA and the other stuff packs, should I move the two crack files into the game bin again, or am I good?

I am aware that deleting the folders in the downloads section would likely leave me unable to reinstall the corresponding expansion/stuff packs should I uninstall them, but I'm not concerned as I have no intentions of uninstalling, and I do have the original torrent so I can redownload the rar if need be.

Back to top Go down

If I delete the folders in my downloads section, will my game still work? Empty Re: If I delete the folders in my downloads section, will my game still work?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 20 Aug 2016, 06:44

Matthewtheman wrote:Okay, so, I really want all the EPs and stuff packs for the Sims 3, but I'm having some space issues, so I had to forego world adventures and most stuff packs. I downloaded The Sims 3 complete collection from this site, followed the instructions and such, game works fine, but I think I have a way to make room for the extra stuff and expansion packs. The base game and all expansion and stuff packs have two folders each, one in the downloads section, and one in Program Files. Now, from what I understand, the folders in the downloads section have the setup application and the stuff necessary to install the game/ep/sp, while the ones in the PF section have all the stuff that actually makes the game work. If my assumption is correct, I should be able to delete the folders in the downloads section for the base game and all expansion and stuff packs I already have to free up space, right? Or are there important files in there that will mess up my game if deleted? Are there files in there I can safely delete? Lastly, assuming this works, after I install WA and the other stuff packs, should I move the two crack files into the game bin again, or am I good?

I am aware that deleting the folders in the downloads section would likely leave me unable to reinstall the corresponding expansion/stuff packs should I uninstall them, but I'm not concerned as I have no intentions of uninstalling, and I do have the original torrent so I can redownload the rar if need be.

Hello and welcome to the forum @Matthewtheman,

Yes, basically, the folders that contain the setup-data can be safely deleted (to free up some space). However, it is generally recommended that you back up those setup-folders (or the original .RAR file) somewhere, so that in case of a Windows re-installation or in case you need to "move" to a different computer, you do NOT need to re-download everything again.

I myself have a couple of external hard-drives plugged via USB on my main desktop computer. I use those extra drives for all my e-books, games, software, videos and whatnot. You don't necessarily have to go for expensive models; the cheaper ones should do their job as well.

Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

If I delete the folders in my downloads section, will my game still work? Empty Re: If I delete the folders in my downloads section, will my game still work?

Post by Guest Sat 20 Aug 2016, 07:17

Cool, thanks. I do still have the original torrent, so I think I'll go ahead and delete the folders. I do plan on getting an external hard drive in the hopefully near future, but I don't have the patience to wait until I do have one to be able to experience all expansion and stuff pack content.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 20 Aug 2016, 09:31

Actually, as a sidenote: It's probably best to keep the RAR rather than the extracted folders. 
It can happen that the extracted files get corrupted, especially when moved around, and you will have to redownload them anyway. It's rare, but it happens.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 21 Aug 2016, 13:34

♥️✿Ɛɗιη✿♥️ wrote:It can happen that the extracted files get corrupted, especially when moved around, (...) It's rare, but it happens.

Not to me.  Haters gonna hate  Very Happy
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Aug 2016, 14:24

When you move extracted folders of the Sims-4 you move them away from the exceptions of the anti-virus and good chance that your anti-virus will "kill" the cracks.
As long as they are in Winrar they are safe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Aug 2016, 18:36

I don't even use winrar. I use 7zip.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 26 Aug 2016, 12:47

Matthewtheman wrote:I don't even use winrar. I use 7zip.

Sorry for the late reply, but please use WinRAR, if you haven't done so already. Smile  We use WinRAR to pack our stuff, hence people should use the same program when unpacking the stuff, too.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top