Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steam Base game and torrented expansions, cant find base installation folder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steam Base game and torrented expansions, cant find base installation folder Empty Steam Base game and torrented expansions, cant find base installation folder

Post by Guest Sun 25 Sep 2016, 23:11

Hi there everyone,

First of all thanks for hosting the content that you put out, a lot better than the hefty prices EA decided to put out.

MY PROBLEM:

I bought the base game through Steam and installed it. Launched it once to make sure all the base stuff was there and it worked fine like it should.
I then downloaded Sims 3 Pets DLC to start of with. I extracted the RAR files in a seperate directory from the Sims 3 directory

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3 <-- Base game
D:\Do Not Trust\Sims3pets <-- Torrented DLC. (I put all my torrents here hence the name)

Upon launching Sims3EP05Setup.exe i get the splash art of the sims 3 installer and not too long later the error: "this product requires a installed version of the Sims 3. Install Sims 3 first and try again."

I get the same problems for any other DLC that i have tried downloading.

Basically, it thinks Sims 3 hasnt been installed.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED:
Restart PC
Run as admin
Reinstall Sims 3 through Steam
Drag torrented files into Sims 3 directory, but that just made a huge mess of overlapping folders and what not.
Follow this guide: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t1171-must-read-how-to-install-the-sims-3-correctly , With that guide the installer gives me the same error as above. The guide also assumes that the Sims 3 has been detected and expansions are already installed, which isnt in my case.

Apologies in advance if this has been asked/solved before.
Thanks in advance for solving the problem!

Back to top Go down

Steam Base game and torrented expansions, cant find base installation folder Empty Re: Steam Base game and torrented expansions, cant find base installation folder

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 29 Sep 2016, 22:57

Welcome to the forum @Snake and sorry for the late reply,  Why. Why.

Try using a pirated base game, because the Steam version of The Sims 3 isn't compatible with pirated expansions/stuffpacks.

Good luck and keep us posted if you like!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Steam Base game and torrented expansions, cant find base installation folder Empty Re: Steam Base game and torrented expansions, cant find base installation folder

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2016, 00:53

I actually was able to fix the problem by using the activation code i got through Steam and use the code back on Origin. Got the Sims 3 working now with your torrented expansions. 

I haven't tried the next thing myself but: I believe after activating the product on Origin through the code on Steam, you can ask for a refund on Steam for The Sims and get your money back but then playing through Origin. Since the two dont communicate (like Steam would communicate with Uplay) you can basically get the legit version for free. So just to clarify:

1. Get Sims 3 through Steam and save the product code
2. Activate the product code on Origin
3. Refund Sims 3 on Steam and continue playing the game on Origin
4. ???
5. Profit.
6. (extra) Download all expansions from games4theworld

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 30 Sep 2016, 07:52

Snake wrote:I actually was able to fix the problem by using the activation code i got through Steam and use the code back on Origin. Got the Sims 3 working now with your torrented expansions. 

I haven't tried the next thing myself but: I believe after activating the product on Origin through the code on Steam, you can ask for a refund on Steam for The Sims and get your money back but then playing through Origin. Since the two dont communicate (like Steam would communicate with Uplay) you can basically get the legit version for free. So just to clarify:

1. Get Sims 3 through Steam and save the product code
2. Activate the product code on Origin
3. Refund Sims 3 on Steam and continue playing the game on Origin
4. ???
5. Profit.
6. (extra) Download all expansions from games4theworld

Thanks for sharing this information @Snake; I wasn't aware that the code for the game on Steam can/could also work on Origin. Not sure if that Origin version of the game updates to patch 1.69, but in case it does, have a look at the notice here:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t22114-important-information-regarding-the-sims-3-version-1-69-36-0240

Is there anything else you need help with, for the time being? Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top