Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Empty Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2018, 07:23

Hello all.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things, but I have received an email with the subject "Copyright Violation from Electronic Arts" from my ISP and am wondering if I should be worried. It includes a notice from ESA. Is this serious?

Back to top Go down

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Empty Re: Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2018, 10:01

Yes when you are living in the US, France or Germany, it could be serious.
Use a VPN when you download via torrents or download from direct sources such as THIS or ZClient/ZLOrigin.

Back to top Go down

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Empty Re: Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 04 Dec 2018, 16:47

love-belt1027 wrote:Hello all.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things, but I have received an email with the subject "Copyright Violation from Electronic Arts" from my ISP and am wondering if I should be worried. It includes a notice from ESA. Is this serious?

Maybe a few more details to the issue can be found in the FAQ here; emphasis added in bold red.
https://www.games4theworld.club/t24098-forum-faq#160392

I got a message from my ISP because of 'copyright violation':

We are very sorry to hear that. It is unfortunately a widespread practice in some countries that Internet Service Providers are closely monitoring certain types of internet traffic. In most cases, these messages that internet-subscribers receive seem to be automated, and actual legal consequences tend to be rare (are authorities going to punish every kid or adult downloading something?!). However, it is possible that your internet subscription may be cancelled by the ISP. At this point, we can only emphasize that problems along these lines are out of our hand, and it will be your responsibility in the first place to make certain arrangements prior to torrenting. However, what we can give you, are some general guidelines on what could be done:

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Icon_arrow  Is it possible for you to switch your Internet Service Provider?

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Icon_arrow  Do you torrent frequently, or only sometimes? If you don't use torrents very often, you could ask a family member or friend to help you out on this - if they agree of  course.

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Icon_arrow  Many people use so-called VPNs for torrenting purposes. These are services (which cost money), that have the capability to mask your internet traffic in such a way as to make it either very difficult, or even impossible for your ISP to 'identify' your torrenting activities. Remember that in order to be compatible with torrenting purposes, you will need to go for paid VPN subscriptions, as free VPNs tend to be only suitable for browsing the web. Good VPN providers with torrenting-compatibility are for example "NordVPN" and "Windscribe". Check out the discussion-topic here to learn more.

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Icon_arrow In the context of The Sims 4, look at the individual announcements (in the "News"-section) for each G4TW The Sims 4-repack to find direct download options, which should be safer to use than torrents. Though there have been reports by a few users that direct downloads are monitored as well, these download formats still seem a feasible alternative. Though of course if you want to be 100% sure, use a paid VPN subscription as well for fetching direct downloads. Alternatively, look for ZLOrigin here, as well as anadius's alternative installers.

Copyright violation from Electronic Arts email Icon_arrow  In general, we don't recommend that you simply 'ignore' these warning letters by your ISP, unless you have made sure through your own research that there won't be any consequences for you in doing so. For further information, and if possible for you, you should try seeking the advice of a professional legal counsel (lawyer) on this matter, who is familiar with the legal situation of torrenting in your local community or country.

Also, if you know other people/friends/relatives with the same concern, feel free to spread the word about this notice. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Dec 2018, 20:01

Thank you, everyone. The email was a forwarded notice from the ESA and my ISP reiterated in the email that it was just a notice and no one had my identity. The message from my ISP also informed me that unless this is regular behavior my account is still active. I do not torrent often and I won't at all. 

I'll start using direct downloads from now on, but I'll wait a while before doing so. I'm so spooked though. I just switched ISPs like two weeks ago from the service I'd been using for almost ten years because of a way better deal and this is the first I've ever gotten a message- I used to torrent everything about five-six years ago. I guess I won't be doing that ever again. So paranoid now.

Thanks again for all your help.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 04 Dec 2018, 20:13

love-belt1027 wrote:I'm so spooked though. (...) I used to torrent everything about five-six years ago. I guess I won't be doing that ever again. So paranoid now.

Thanks again for all your help.

These developments are a logical consequence of the fact that pirate-platforms cannot (!) be taken down as easily, as the average person may think. Because doing so, could have serious implications for aspects of freedom of speech. 

So shifting the focus toward Internet Service Providers, and "urging" them to go hard on people who torrent these items, is the current dogma. And I must admit, the strategy seems to be working. You're certainly not the only one who feels spooked. 

Yes, these are different times now, and we all have to make the best out of it.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top