Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-virus made a mess of things. Probably my fault, but how do I fix it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anti-virus made a mess of things. Probably my fault, but how do I fix it? Empty Anti-virus made a mess of things. Probably my fault, but how do I fix it?

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2019, 23:15

This might be a little tangential, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I thought the "Sims 4 Fixes" forum would be a little better, but I can't post there. My computer runs Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

I use Avira for my anti-virus and up until now it's been merely a minor inconvenience. I use anadius' files partly because I have a legit copy of the base game (for Gallery access) and partly because he offers direct downloads (I can't torrent).

Generally for updates and the like I go to run the new version of ts4-origin-dlc-installer.exe and Avira intervenes and moves it to quarantine. I go into Avira and restore the file, add it to the ignore list, and then run it with no problem, updates are installed, everything is good.

Today, after downloading all of the files to update to 1.56.52.1020, I update my Origin game and then go to update my anadius game. Avira intervenes, I restore it from quarantine ... Except the file is 0k and has some string at the end of the filename. So I delete it and re-download ts4-origin-dlc-installer.exe ... and now I don't have permission to save it to that folder!

I've tried a few different things. I couldn't directly quit Avira nor did trying to close it from Task Manager work, so I disabled it from automatically starting with Windows and power-cycled. Despite not showing up on my toolbar and thus making me think it wasn't running, it still popped up when I tried to run ts4-origin-dlc-installer.exe. The only difference was that trying to open Avira's user interface no longer works. Even now that I've re-enabled it automatically starting with Windows, I still can't open the user interface. And now it somehow disappeared from my toolbar even though it was there a few minutes ago.

I still can't regain the permissions to save to either my original folder or the new one I made. Going into C:\Windows and running explorer.exe as Administrator didn't work.

I think something went seriously wrong and I don't know how to fix it. Could someone please help me out here, or at least direct me to a better place to ask? This is just the icing on the cake of an already crappy day.

Back to top Go down

Anti-virus made a mess of things. Probably my fault, but how do I fix it? Empty Re: Anti-virus made a mess of things. Probably my fault, but how do I fix it?

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2019, 23:24

As for anti-virus interface not working: reinstall anti-virus.

As for not being able to save to folder: does that happen with everything or only with my DLC installer? If with everything, right click, properties, security tab, edit and make sure you have full access. If that happens only when downloading DLC installer - simply disable anti-virus protection before downloading it.

As for your anti-virus quarantining DLC installer - same as above, disable anti-virus before running it if exceptions don't work.

That 0kb file with some string at the end of the filename was probably just incomplete download. Real file was probably restored somewhere else (Temp folder? IDK, depends on your browser).

Back to top Go down

Anti-virus made a mess of things. Probably my fault, but how do I fix it? Empty Re: Anti-virus made a mess of things. Probably my fault, but how do I fix it?

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2019, 23:54

Odd. I just tested it and it's just the dlc installer that's giving me permission errors. I was able to save it to a higher-level folder but I can't move it from there into the folder with all of your other files.

I'm definitely un-installing my anti-virus and possibly finding a new one, because I can't get it to work reliably at all right now and I really don't understand why it's behaving differently today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 Oct 2019, 00:45

I don't see the button to thank you, otherwise I would be pressing it.

I uninstalled Avira (which reviews say "Isn't what it used to be"), rebooted, and I was able to move the file into the folder with the other stuff and install the update. HUZZAH!

I then installed Kaspersky. We'll see how it works out.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 10 Oct 2019, 17:03

LittlePenguin wrote:I thought the "Sims 4 Fixes" forum would be a little better, (...)

Yes, I know the arrangement of permissions is or can be seen as somewhat awkward. I've disabled commenting under "Fixes", "Tutorials", "Tips & Tricks" sections a while back already. If everybody commented directly under these threads, it would make them un-readable. People will naturally not only read the actual tutorial, but also comment and complain underneath it. Not only would it render the sections labelled as "Support" useless, but also if a new user shows up, they will get inundated by a slew of riff-raff commentary.

I know it sounds derogatory, even though among that "riff-raff commentary" were genuine messages of appreciation, however few. But in the end, I mean what I say. I also know that the majority of people tend to not like my style of going about things, but then again: my role is not  exactly  a popularity contest. Very Happy  #justsuckitup

Every user should open a new topic under The Sims 4 Support, where people can post about their woes with that "life simulation PC game". It offers a cleaner look and organization. And if need be, people should refer to the tutorial they need help with, when posting that new topic under TS4 Support.

Edit: I'll think about ways of how I can mark those tutorial sections more clearly, that they are "read-only". Right now I'm not sure if there is much else we can do except put a written notice under the Forum description saying "this is a read-only section".
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top