Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games? Empty Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games?

Post by Guest Tue 05 Nov 2019, 03:56

Nancy Drew was a big part of my childhood, and recently I just really wanted to play them again. I found a good torrent link on The Pirate Bay for the first game, but there's 32 of these suckers and I'm already having a hard time finding the second one. It bummed me out when I read on the forum that G4TW isn't taking any game requests anymore, so does anybody know where I could find safe and working downloads for ND? I'm also new to the torrenting world (I don't even know what "seeding" means), so something idiot proof would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down

Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games? Empty Re: Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 05 Nov 2019, 20:01

Desala wrote:Nancy Drew was a big part of my childhood, and recently I just really wanted to play them again. I found a good torrent link on The Pirate Bay for the first game, but there's 32 of these suckers and I'm already having a hard time finding the second one. It bummed me out when I read on the forum that G4TW isn't taking any game requests anymore, so does anybody know where I could find safe and working downloads for ND? I'm also new to the torrenting world (I don't even know what "seeding" means), so something idiot proof would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the G4TW Forums @Desala,

^if it's not on The Piratebay, this can be an indicator that the desired item is hard to get by, but that's just a generalizing statement, and I'm not familiar with these games.

The reason we are not taking game requests anymore is because we likely won't do much else for the moment, besides The Sims 4 and the occasional "Indie Corner" title. We traditionally focus on torrents, because direct downloads are just prone to be taken down. But you cannot "take down" torrents. Also, big titles are harder to seed, due to their filesize. Our Sims games are very well-covered in terms of volunteers who help seeeding. But the rest of our program is not too popular, as of right now.

"Seeding" means, the act of turning on your torrent client and "seeding" a torrent which you have grabbed 100%. In other words, you can call it uploading a torrent that you have managed to grab 100%. Direct downloads typically are served from big centralized servers. But your average torrent is going to be served by individual people like you and me. And imagine this now: if everybody just takes a torrent, without giving anything back (= seeding), then for how long do you think will this work out fine? 

There is a thing such as "seedboxes", which are basically like centralized servers, which in turn can serve torrents too. In fact, we have been looking around for such a service for use on G4TW here, and we shall keep you all posted on any updates in that regard.

But still, the average torrent will still depend on individual users turning on their torrent clients, to share with other people. Now of course: if you have your torrent client seeding on full blaze, and you want to do some online gaming for example, it will reduce your game performance, or more specifically the quality of your internet connection. So in that case you can or even should turn off the seeding, and then play your online games.

So there is your quick introduction on what seeding is. Sorry though that I can't really help with your main concern.

Why.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games? Empty Re: Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games?

Post by Guest Wed 06 Nov 2019, 05:10

Thank you for the welcome.  Smile 

It doesn't surprise me all that much that Nancy Drew games aren't well known. It's basically a point-and-click mystery game. You solve puzzles and try to figure out "who did it", whether it's a murder or theft or kidnapping. There's always one or two dorky ways to die, which makes it feel like a genuine risk to be on a case while still having humor to it. It may just be the nostalgia talking, but I super suggest it. My favourite by far is White Wolf of Icicle Creek. To be honest, I'm more shocked that they're still going strong. Game number 33 is being released this December.

And I get it, you guys are busy. Thank you all the same, especially for responding to me at all. I found G4TW through The Sims 3, and also see you've done Zoo Tycoon 2. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to be able to access part of my childhood while not having a penny to my name.

It's still a little confusing to me, but I think I understand "seeding" now. Thank you for trying to explain it, and please don't worry about not having much information on Nancy Drew. Here's a link to their official site for all their games, if you want to check it out. Again, I found the first one (remastered) and just last night the seventh one on The Pirate Bay that are both working just fine. I know I've said this several times, but truly thank you so much. Happy belated Halloween and happy Guy Fawkes Day. :3

//EDIT

Derp, I forgot to include the link in the actual reply and can't find the edit button. Sorry about that-- And then I find out I can't post links.  Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games? 637235714 Where can I find a decent place to get Nancy Drew games? 637235714  Gods, I understand that, for spam prevention. In any case, the Nancy Drew developers are called Her Interactive. It's not hard to find them.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 06 Nov 2019, 11:42

Desala wrote:Thank you for the welcome.  Smile 

It doesn't surprise me all that much that Nancy Drew games aren't well known. It's basically a point-and-click mystery game. You solve puzzles and try to figure out "who did it", whether it's a murder or theft or kidnapping. There's always one or two dorky ways to die, which makes it feel like a genuine risk to be on a case while still having humor to it. It may just be the nostalgia talking, but I super suggest it. My favourite by far is White Wolf of Icicle Creek. To be honest, I'm more shocked that they're still going strong. Game number 33 is being released this December.

And I get it, you guys are busy. Thank you all the same, especially for responding to me at all (...)

Please no worries, and we try responding to as many people as possible, although we can't always find a (satisfying) solution to user's difficulties. WhatDidUJustCallMe?  There is also this here if you want to check it out and/or comment in:
https://www.games4theworld.club/t35226-quick-forum-update-new-games-features-poll

It's kind of like an un-official replacement for the old "game request wishlist".

Also, it's not just about being busy. We can put in some extra work, and we can initiate re-seeds anytime. The basic problem though is, as I hinted elsewhere and spoken about it many times, that this platform was inherited from a person who is basically 180 degrees different than today's administration (Head Admin ~Ann~, and me as the Acting Supervisor). The crowd from back in the day was somewhat different than today. I don't necessarily want to use labels such as "better" or "worse" here, due to the overall complexity of the matter. But more on that in a minute.

Back in the early 2010's, you didn't have those "ISP warning letters" for the most part, when you torrented a popular thing such as mainstream video game, music, movies, etc. But nowadays they are very common. This has led a lot of people to take a more critical stand towards piracy, which is exactly the outcome and 'climate' that entertainment corporations and their executioners in (usually Anglo-American-based) public offices want to create. Yes, VPN services can shield you from these warning letters, but overall most people either cannot/do not want to afford them, or they are as of yet still oblivious to them.

Back in the days you did not really have the infighting that takes place nowadays between various platforms (the takedown of GoodOldDownloads for example is said to have been the result of some altercation with "rival piracy sites").

And back in the days corporate "shilling" was not as widespread as it is today. E.g. we frequently get messages saying that the recommended VPN services of G4TW are "logging user data", and of course in the process American or British-based VPN services are advertised, which are the worst in terms of user privacy in the entire Western world. Then we also get fake messages from users with an anti-piracy bias, posting fake tutorials here. No worries, we are able to intercept these messages most of the time, and get rid of the problem users.

Make no mistake: there are things that can be viewed as unpopular, such as our policy of running download links through an advertising company. Yes, we need money because times have changed and domains/hosting is not cheap (we have purchased a subscription for a VPS server and some domains too). On the other hand I can understand a little if this irks some people.

So are people nowadays "better", or "worse" than they were back then? Let's put it in the way diplomats communicate: every person is a result of the experiences they have gone through in their lives. And experiences back then were just different than today.

Also take into account that Indie Games in general are less popular than established brands or franchises. Take for example the fact that everybody now is "shilling" for this new Call of Duty-title "Modern Warfare". I haven't really played COD since "Ghosts" way back in...2013/2014?! I don't think I missed out on too much though since then. I'll try and make a mental note of that Nancy Drew, though.

Red star from Carlos
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezer Bunny Fri 08 Nov 2019, 19:55

Isn't the entire Nancy Drew series like over 30+ GB, because there's more than 30 titles or so? scratch
Freezer Bunny
Freezer Bunny
The real one.
The real one.

Favourite games : The Sims games

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 08 Nov 2019, 22:03

Freezer Bunny wrote:Isn't the entire Nancy Drew series like over 30+ GB, because there's more than 30 titles or so? scratch

Wait...what? That's going to be (nearly) impossible to seed, without a seedbox service! Oh my...

But for real, and I have to be honest here: our community as a whole (yes, I include myself as well under that umbrella term) is not active enough anymore these days to really take on such potential mega-projects.

Yes, we could split such a torrent into multiple separate releases, but still. Instead of one big inactive torrent you'd end up having 4 or 5 smaller inactive torrents.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezer Bunny Fri 08 Nov 2019, 23:04

The_gh0stm4n wrote:Wait...what? That's going to be (nearly) impossible to seed, without a seedbox service! Oh my...

But for real, and I have to be honest here: our community as a whole (yes, I include myself as well under that umbrella term) is not active enough anymore these days to really take on such potential mega-projects.

Yes, we could split such a torrent into multiple separate releases, but still. Instead of one big inactive torrent you'd end up having 4 or 5 smaller inactive torrents.

I can help seed too! cat
Freezer Bunny
Freezer Bunny
The real one.
The real one.

Favourite games : The Sims games

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top