Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maybe its the graphics card? A Sims 3 crashing to desktop problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maybe its the graphics card? A Sims 3 crashing to desktop problem Empty Maybe its the graphics card? A Sims 3 crashing to desktop problem

Post by Guest Sat 15 Dec 2012, 12:08

So, I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 (64-bit), which works much better than my old one. This one may have the ability to play games and maybe even Sims. I matched it up with the Sims system requirements and unfortunately, I have the mobile intel chipset family series. I checked online to see if I could still play Sims 3 with it and people said that it was possible. Not only taking their word for it, I installed the base game first with my retail cd. Turned out fine. Unlike my desktop dinosaur that gives game lags, this one was working so smoothly. But I only played it for fifteen minutes. Maybe if I played it longer, I would have realized my current issue.

So, I installed all the expansion packs from this site as well as the ultimate fix. No problems downloading and installing. When I finally started the game, the loading became stuck and crashed to the desktop. I immediately came here to hunt down the problem. I went on the link that you admins tell us about so often and I tried the DEP. It worked well for at least half an hour...and then my computer screen faded to black and froze. I had to press the on button for it to reboot. When it did, the Sims programme was still on and a notification was on the screen to say that 'Sims 3 has stopped working....' Sigh. So, I went back to hunt the issue again but I am having problems:

1. It may (more than likely) be my graphics card. My graphics card is Mobile Intel (R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.I wanted to do solution 4 in the list but I could not find the vertical sync tab anywhere. How do you find it with this graphic card?

2. If it is my lovely graphics card, I would like to be able to lower my graphic settings in the game. After it says that 'Sims 3 is not working', my laptop also informs me that the resolution is not optimal for the display device...or something like that. I had changed the settings within the game while I was playing the base game. So, this could be the problem. But now I am not able to get to the settings since my computer crashes before I can reach that option in the Sims 3 main menu. This may be a stretch but is there any way I can get to the options before it crashes?

These two solutions in the list seem to be the only ones plausible since I only have one saved game, no mods or cc and my RAM is at least 4gb.

So, please Help

Back to top Go down

Maybe its the graphics card? A Sims 3 crashing to desktop problem Empty Re: Maybe its the graphics card? A Sims 3 crashing to desktop problem

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 15 Dec 2012, 13:40

Hello,

If you backup and remove the The Sims 3 folder from Documents\Electronic Arts, it's like a factory reset. When you start the game next, you'll revert to the default graphics quality settings, that may do.
Inside that folder though, is a notepad called "device config" in which you can manually change the graphics settings, if you can figure out which number stands for which setting. I think "1" matches the low setting though, and "0" matches "off" for options like advanced rendering that can be turned on or off. So I think it should look like this (copied and adjusted from my own deviceconfig.txt):

=== Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 0
LightingQuality 1
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 1
VisualEffects 1
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 1
TreeQuality 1
DrawDistance 1
MaxActiveLots 1
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 4 <- not sure what this is so I didn't touch it
AdvancedRendering 1

You may want to turn off advanced rendering by setting it's value to "0", but that may result in some strange glitches with Pets.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Maybe its the graphics card? A Sims 3 crashing to desktop problem Empty Re: Maybe its the graphics card? A Sims 3 crashing to desktop problem

Post by Guest Sat 15 Dec 2012, 16:35

Okay, thanks. I will try this and see if it works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 15 Dec 2012, 22:05

Hello,

Please do so and let us know the result, good luck!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2013, 18:35

Turns out it was an overheating issue. The laptop is currently being fixed. So, when I get it back, hopefully, it will work.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Mon 21 Jan 2013, 11:55

Hello,

I hope it'll work.
Please let us know the result.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Jan 2013, 20:57

Lady ElDi wrote:
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 4 <- not sure what this is so I didn't touch it

What this does is tells the game how far out to show details for lots. If you're in a crowded area the maximum number of lots that will be visible with details is 4, based on the setting shown. Lowering this will greatly help many of the older cards, though really I've seen no real reason to set it higher than 3 even with the more recent cards (how often do you see yourself looking at 4 lots without moving the camera away from the lot you're currently at? For me, not very often - if at all)

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:59

Hello,

Ah ok, I had that on 4 because of screenshots, I normally set it to 1 for performance.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top