Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copying all Sims 3 + Expansion files to another Computer. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Copying all Sims 3 + Expansion files to another Computer. [SOLVED] Empty Copying all Sims 3 + Expansion files to another Computer. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 20:14

Hello,

I have Sims 3 and all expansions perfectly running on my laptop.
I wanted it on my PC aswell, so i copied all sims 3 + expansion files (program files folder + documents folder) to an External HDD and plugged it in my PC.

I get the Unable to start please reinstall base game message, if i try to bypass the launcher the screen stays black.
I know this is not the correct way of doing it, but is there a way to fix it to make it work without having to download/install everyting fresh on my PC ??

Thanks alot in advance,

Tosti

Back to top Go down

Copying all Sims 3 + Expansion files to another Computer. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Copying all Sims 3 + Expansion files to another Computer. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 28 Jul 2013, 20:32

Tosti wrote:Hello,

I have Sims 3 and all expansions perfectly running on my laptop.
I wanted it on my PC aswell, so i copied all sims 3 + expansion files (program files folder + documents folder) to an External HDD and plugged it in my PC.

I get the Unable to start please reinstall base game message, if i try to bypass the launcher the screen stays black.
I know this is not the correct way of doing it, but is there a way to fix it to make it work without having to download/install everyting fresh on my PC ??

Thanks alot in advance,

Tosti

Hello,

If you want to play games or use any software on another computer, then there is no other way than to install the stuff on the other computer too. Simply copying the game files won't help, because you need the "registry entries" too.

Occasionally, you can have certain games and software which are called "portable" - in that case you can just copy all the files to another computer. But this is rather the exception, than the rule; it's sometimes the case with pirated games/software. And it's certainly not the case with "The Sims 3" (I haven't heard about a "portable" Sims 3 download yet).

This goes for Windows systems, but I'm not sure how Mac computers handle that issue.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Copying all Sims 3 + Expansion files to another Computer. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Copying all Sims 3 + Expansion files to another Computer. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Sun 28 Jul 2013, 21:27

Allright, kinda feared for that.. is it possible to just download an install a fresh Base Sims 3 and copy over the expansions, as they use the base game's registry's ??

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 28 Jul 2013, 21:30

Tosti wrote:Allright, kinda feared for that.. is it possible to just download an install a fresh Base Sims 3 and copy over the expansions, as they use the base game's registry's ??

It's not, I'm afraid.

Yes, the expansions use parts of the base game registry, that's right, but they ALSO have registry keys themselves.

Again, there is no other way than to re-install ALL the stuff on the other computer.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 10:31

Another option is to install the game on an external drive... Then you can play from anywhere!! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Mon 29 Jul 2013, 15:49

Shamrock wrote:Another option is to install the game on an external drive... Then you can play from anywhere!! Wink

If you actually manage to save the registry entries onto the external hard-drive too, then yes, it may be a theoretical possibility...

But even if you manage to do that, your "user data" (savefiles, mods, CC,..) will still be on the main hard-drive, which would be another (slight) practical limitation.

I would still go with the "classical" way. Wink
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 22:49

I gave up on the method after the first comment i saw here,
Tried to download and install everything from scratch.. now getting error messages everytime i install, installed the same way as on the laptop (working 100 % for over 2 years now) and it just keep giving me the error messages.

I think i am perm screwed for this PC, i think i did not delete everything correctly before begining with a clean/scratch install...

Any suggestions ??
Btw only difference between laptop and PC are Win 7 (Laptop) and Win 8 (PC)

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Tue 30 Jul 2013, 03:59

Hello,

Can you please tell us what the error message is about?
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jul 2013, 04:26

The error message was the general one about Sims 3 being unable to boot because of an initalisation error.
I fixed everything and got Sims 3 + all Stuff Expansions + Paradise, Univiersity, Ambitions and Seasons running.
I fixed the issue by letting the 'corrupted' Sims 3 version stay on the computer whilst deleting all expansions.
I applied the manual update 1.55 on only Sims 3, installed 1 expansion at the time whilst testing everytime if the launcher would boot.
In the end i applied only the ultimate fix crack and everything is up and running, have been playing for 4 hours straight without a problem, will install all other expansions tomorrow, will report back if it is still working fine.

greets.

Dylan

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Tue 30 Jul 2013, 04:32

Tosti wrote:The error message was the general one about Sims 3 being unable to boot because of an initalisation error.
I fixed everything and got Sims 3 + all Stuff Expansions + Paradise, Univiersity, Ambitions and Seasons running.
I fixed the issue by letting the 'corrupted' Sims 3 version stay on the computer whilst deleting all expansions.
I applied the manual update 1.55 on only Sims 3, installed 1 expansion at the time whilst testing everytime if the launcher would boot.
In the end i applied only the ultimate fix crack and everything is up and running, have been playing for 4 hours straight without a problem, will install all other expansions tomorrow, will report back if it is still working fine.

greets.

Dylan

Hello,

Sure. Please let us know if you have any problems.
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 14:19

Installed Generations aswell, the ultimate fix applied and worked

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Wed 31 Jul 2013, 14:21

Hello,

Good to hear!

This topic can be closed now.

Helper edit: As you wish. Topic closed.

- Carlos G.
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top