Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it? Empty How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it?

Post by Guest Fri 02 Aug 2013, 16:08

Smile Hi, So, i just wanted to ask, "How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it?"

What I meant with 'my Sims 3' are my Sims 3 Base game + Expanisions Pack (Ambitions, Late Night & Towns Life Stuff) that were installed at Local Disk C. So, i wanted to move it to Local Disk D that cointain more space.Wink  Is it okay if I just move it like that? Or will I got some problem unable to play it... And, could it possible if I moved also the Custom Contents and Screen Server nor Videos from the game save files??Question 

Thanks for your kindness king

Back to top Go down

How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it? Empty Re: How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 02 Aug 2013, 16:11

DanishQweex wrote:Smile Hi, So, i just wanted to ask, "How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it?"

What I meant with 'my Sims 3' are my Sims 3 Base game + Expanisions Pack (Ambitions, Late Night & Towns Life Stuff) that were installed at Local Disk C. So, i wanted to move it to Local Disk D that cointain more space.Wink  Is it okay if I just move it like that? Or will I got some problem unable to play it... And, could it possible if I moved also the Custom Contents and Screen Server nor Videos from the game save files??Question 

Thanks for your kindness king

Hello,

Please, don't do that. You will mess up your whole game Wink  Instead, try to make space on your local disc "C".
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it? Empty Re: How to move my Sims 3 to another Local Disk without having promble with it?

Post by J.T. Fri 02 Aug 2013, 16:20

Hello,

CC can be backed up simply by copying and pasting The Sims 3 folder in Electronic Arts folder of Documents. However, you cannot simply pasted the game folders and The Sims 3 folder in Documents to another hard drive, as Carlos G. mentioned Wink .
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2013, 09:58

Some people can easily move it by applying some changes. Eg. people change the game's Registry...

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:01

DanishQweex wrote:Some people can easily move it by applying some changes. Eg. people change the game's Registry...
Hello,

You will have to bear the risk of messing up the registry entries yourself if you do change it. Plus, as far as I know, this is not as easy as it sounds. If you really want to alter the registry, please create a backup so that you can restore it easily.
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:14

Hello,

Since you only have those EP's, you actually can do this. We had a user here a while back who created a tool that can fix the registry entries for you. It doesn't work for University Life and/or Island Paradise, but since you don't have those, it should work.
The tool can be downloaded here, and that post has instructions as well.

Go to your current install directory (which I assume is the default location in C:\Program Files) and copy the entire "Electronic Arts" folder to your desired location. Now run the tool. 

If you have questions about the tool, you can ask them in that topic, the tool's creator will receive an email if there's a message in that topic.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Sep 2013, 19:38

Please tell us how that went...

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:21

Lady ElDi wrote:Hello,

Since you only have those EP's, you actually can do this. We had a user here a while back who created a tool that can fix the registry entries for you. It doesn't work for University Life and/or Island Paradise, but since you don't have those, it should work.
The tool can be downloaded here, and that post has instructions as well.

Go to your current install directory (which I assume is the default location in C:\Program Files) and copy the entire "Electronic Arts" folder to your desired location. Now run the tool. 

If you have questions about the tool, you can ask them in that topic, the tool's creator will receive an email if there's a message in that topic.
Hello,

That link isn't working anymore. So I guess you have to change the registry yourself. To back up your registry files, simply click "Files/Export"... And you can save the registry backup file to any location you want and start editing your registry. If you have accidentally messed up the registry, click "Files/Import" to import the file.

Last edited by cat2006house on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:30; edited 1 time in total
J.T.
J.T.
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:27

The safest way to move your Sims 3 game to another drive is to backup your save game(s) from your My Documents folder, uninstall the Sims 3 and reinstall it to the new HDD location, then create a new game, save and exit, and finally copy your save games back to My Documents/Electronic Arts, The Sims 3
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2013, 07:55

Sorry for the late reply... I'm a student so you must know that student will be busy with their study, exams, activities & whatever-you-call-it... Hmm, well, I guess I will just follow the easiest and safest way, like the one that recommended by Dracos66. Anyway, thank you for your kind help. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Jan 2015, 01:40

This is actually pretty easy (I just did it).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sims

That was the registry key.  Under that key there are multiple entries for the base game and each expansion.  In each of those folders there are 2 keys -

ExePath
InstallDir

Change those locations to the new locations that you move the installed game to and that's it.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 25 Jan 2015, 08:39

TomInce wrote:This is actually pretty easy (I just did it).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sims

That was the registry key.  Under that key there are multiple entries for the base game and each expansion.  In each of those folders there are 2 keys -

ExePath
InstallDir

Change those locations to the new locations that you move the installed game to and that's it.

Hello TomInce and welcome,

That's actually a dead topic, and the OP isn't likely to come back here after years of posting the original message. Razz  That said, yes, you can edit those registry entries, and yes, it "is" also easy - if you know what you do.

Personally (and given the knowledge of the average person), I would NOT recommend using this method though. Or I would take on that myself, via "TeamViewer" for instance.

The problem with this is that if you don't know what you're doing, you can do severe damage to your system. Plus, it wouldn't be bad to actually backup the registry before messing around with it.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top