Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Direct download links???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Direct download links??? Empty Direct download links???

Post by Guest Sat 01 Mar 2014, 10:00

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

i was wondering if there's anyone here who would know how to create direct download links (if that's what they're called). like if i were to create a download link i want it to download once clicked and not open another tab and be asked to do things like wait. 

a good example would be like the g4tw's new download site.

i have all my files in mega if that's in anyway useful info.

hopefully someone can help!!!

thank u

Back to top Go down

Direct download links??? Empty Re: Direct download links???

Post by J.T. Sat 01 Mar 2014, 12:04

So Building a website... It depends on whether you want to build a free website, or a site hosted by a paid server. You might need certain html and javascript knowledge if you want to build a site hosted by a paid one.

If I were you, I would choose free websites to work on. They are plain and simple, and doesn't require much computing knowledge.

There are a few free website hosting services you can choose from:

(1) Wordpress: http://wordpress.com/
(2) Google Sites: https://sites.google.com/?pli=1
(3) Angelfire: http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/
(4) Webnode: http://www.webnode.com/

And a lot more. Just Google "Free website hosting" and you will find some useful information.

Well if you are a wiki editor, you might be interested in creating a wiki on Wikia.

Admin might know more about paid servers, html and javascript.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Mar 2014, 12:42

hiiii

i'm not exactly building a website but more of like just wanting to share downloads? i might have to stick with just using mega since the whole idea of having to create a website seems like hella effort. but thank you very much for the help!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun 02 Mar 2014, 20:46

Hello there,

I understand what you want to do, but unfortunately that's not possible with free (file) hosting services. They need some kind of income, hence they'll link you to their own website first - and sometimes let you wait a few seconds - before you can actually download the file. That way they want to promote their "premium" services, which usually do allow direct downloading.

The reason we can provide direct download links on our Download Server and official website, is because we host the files ourself, without a third party file hoster.

Google Docs offers a clean download page. MediaFire is good too, but has a download page full of advertisements. I never noticed that though, because I always had Adblock Plus enabled. Razz

The good things about using a third party host:

- No loss of bandwidth from your own server
- If lots of downloads are started at the same time, your own server won't overload
- No loss of free space from your own server

Cons:

- Usually have to pay to be able to provide direct download links to a file hosted on a third party file hosting service
- Third party hosters usually have a file size limit and almost always a download speed limit (MEGA doesn't, which is GREAT!(!!))
- Copyrighted content is not allowed and will most likely get removed

MEGA is a good alternative, as it's encrypted, EXTREMELY FAST and does not remove copyrighted content, for as far as I know. The downside is that the website doesn't work for a lot of people.

Hosting small files on your own server, but if you plan on hosting lots of small files or big files, that's going to be a problem. Your server will probably overload or something. For a real download website, you should consider a VPS or even a dedicated server, which can get quite expensive. (Especially if it's not a commercial website)

Do you have a big audience you want to share the files with? If not, stick to MEGA or MediaFire, or something similar. (Don't host copyrighted content on MediaFire though)
If so, contact me via PM. We might be able to host some stuff for you.

I hope that clears up. If not, please let me know. Smile
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Mar 2014, 01:21

hello admin!

thank you for all that info, definitely cleared up all my questions and made me realise how much effort you're all giving to run the download server. so for real, thanks.

for now i might just stick with mega since i'm not really trying to do anything big. so thanks again! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon 03 Mar 2014, 18:53

fantasticbaby wrote:hello admin!

thank you for all that info, definitely cleared up all my questions and made me realise how much effort you're all giving to run the download server. so for real, thanks.

for now i might just stick with mega since i'm not really trying to do anything big. so thanks again! Smile
Hi there,

You're very welcome!
I suddenly remember... a loooong time ago, when I had pretty much no PC knowledge at all, I'd drag & drop a file to my browser. It'd then create a link to the file on your PC (something like C:\User\Desktop\picture.jpg), which I'd share with friends: "Here, a direct download link!".

Unfortunately life's not that easy. Razz Facepalm
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Sep 2014, 19:29

try
sendspace.nl
file hosting with direct links

//EDIT

http://sendspace.nl

Mod edit: Please do not post multple times in a row. Instead, use the "edit"-button on your post if you wish to add something to your original message. Thank you.

- Carlos

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top