Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Graphics issue : lighting, shadows and reflections. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Graphics issue : lighting, shadows and reflections. [SOLVED] Empty Graphics issue : lighting, shadows and reflections. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 01:53

So I used to play the sims 3 like a year ago with most of the early expansion packs on my laptop and it all was working fine.
I recently re-downloaded the sims3 from Games4thworld and it worked great, but when I started playing i noticed that the graphics mainly lighting and shadows are set to the minimum, the ground looks blurry, and no reflections on water. Even if I set the graphics to the highest nothing will change. the graphics look bad. I need to know if theres something i could do to fix it. is it my laptop or graphic card, considering that i used to play the game on the same laptop before and it was just fine. I really appreciate it if you could help me with this issue. Help 

Many thanks

Back to top Go down

Graphics issue : lighting, shadows and reflections. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Graphics issue : lighting, shadows and reflections. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Tue 18 Mar 2014, 15:46

telo90 wrote:So I used to play the sims 3 like a year ago with most of the early expansion packs on my laptop and it all was working fine.
I recently re-downloaded the sims3 from Games4thworld and it worked great, but when I started playing i noticed that the graphics mainly lighting and shadows are set to the minimum, the ground looks blurry, and no reflections on water. Even if I set the graphics to the highest nothing will change. the graphics look bad. I need to know if theres something i could do to fix it. is it my laptop or graphic card, considering that i used to play the game on the same laptop before and it was just fine. I really appreciate it if you could help me with this issue. Help 

Many thanks

Hello,

Did you change anything about the computer ? For example, did you re-install Windows ? And are you still using the SAME graphics driver, as back then (are the drivers updated ?)

Normally, this means that these are the "default" (= standard) settings for your card. And this in turn means that these settings are the "optimal" ones. But I'm not sure; let's see.

Keep us posted if you want !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Graphics issue : lighting, shadows and reflections. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Graphics issue : lighting, shadows and reflections. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 17:59

hey, Thank you so much for the reply.
correct me if im wrong, can i change these standard or optimal resolution settings for a certain game or software ? because sometimes after closing the Sims 3 i get the optimal resolution notification.

And yes I have re-installed windows and I am still using the same graphics driver.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 19 Mar 2014, 19:24

telo90 wrote:hey, Thank you so much for the reply.
correct me if im wrong, can i change these standard or optimal resolution settings for a certain game or software ? because sometimes after closing the Sims 3 i get the optimal resolution notification.

And yes I have re-installed windows and I am still using the same graphics driver.

Try this: go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, right-click on the Options.ini file and go to "Properties". Look at the box "Read only". Is it marked ? If yes, UNMARK the box again. Then click on "apply", and then "OK".

Re-start the game, change a few graphics settings, and see what happens. 

And what exactly does your "notification" say ? The standard way to change graphics settings is to use the graphics menu of the game/software. Also, what about your graphics card control panel ? Look at the settings there...sometimes the settings there "override" the settings from the game. You'll have to check that yourself, since I don't know what graphics card you have. For example, in my "NVIDIA Control Panel", I have the option to choose specific settings for each game/software.

That's it for now.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Mar 2014, 20:41

OH thank You so much, it worked now. it turned out i only had to update my graphics driver, and now the graphics are awesome Very Happy

Thank you so much for the tips.

Mod edit: I'm closing this topic now. Feel free to open a new one, if you have any other issues. Have fun ! Very Happy

- Carlos 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top