Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edit town crash

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edit town crash Empty Edit town crash

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 15:14

Since I build almost all my of buildings in edit town mode, I have to return from build mode to edit town mode in order to save the neighbourhood.
This however, is impossible to achieve because some evil little gremlin has turned my "Edit town" button into a "Destroy" button. (figuratively)
Every single time I click it, the game suddenly crashes first to a black screen and then, when the Windows show up again, shows a generic "Sorry for the inconvenience.. Don't send" message.
It doesn't matter how often I try to save, because it will crash regardless of if I was playing the game for 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes. Playing for over 45 minutes will also crash the game even if I don't try to save the progress.

That being said, my game is patched up and has the latest ultimate fix which was applied following the directions. All of the custom content came from your website and is held together by store fixes. No mods are installed.

I did, however, recently installed the Bathroom suite expansion, but all the other expansions were installed in the order they came out. (except Katy Perry and into the future which didn't sound appealing to me). I've read that installing them in a different order can cause troubles, but I'd like to avoid a three hour process of uninstalling/finding and removing leftover files/cleaning the registry/reinstalling if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down

Edit town crash Empty Re: Edit town crash

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 15:29

The Sims 3 really doesn't need to be installed in any specific order. It kinda sounds like a corrupt save file to me. Try starting a new game and let me know if it still persists... you may need to clear your cache too. There are a few causes and fixes for the issue you are having... you can always try re-downloading and applying the ultimate fix...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 16:25

Sorry for not writing this in the original post, but I have tried re-downloading and applying the ultimate fix two times and it didn't help.
I doubt it's a corrupt save, since the problem spans through all 6 of my saved towns and I already checked for .bad save files, though the game seems to crash more often while in Appaloosa Plains. Also, I never even get to click the save button since the game crashes the second I hit the "Edit Town" button
Starting a new game didn't help. I clean cache regularly with CCleaner, but then again maybe I need to clean it in a different way?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 16:32

you would delete the cache files in the sims folder.... I can have one of the other helpers assist you asap since I am having a brain lapse.... Please allow them time to respond to you. I will go ahead and let them know that your game is already fully up to date so they don't ask again Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 16:46

Oh, right I forgot to try that. I'll try deleting the cache files and let you know if that stops the game crashing. Hopefully it does.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 16:50

Wandering wrote:Oh, right I forgot to try that. I'll try deleting the cache files and let you know if that stops the game crashing. Hopefully it does.

Hello there, and welcome to the Games4theworld Forum! Smile

If that doesn't work, perhaps you should take a look at this post and follow the steps in there, to see if any of those work for you:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t857-the-sims-3-crashes-freezes-to-desktop-fix-updated-on-7-01-2014

Please, keep us updated on how it goes. Good luck! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by J.T. Sat 13 Sep 2014, 16:53

Wandering wrote:Sorry for not writing this in the original post, but I have tried re-downloading and applying the ultimate fix two times and it didn't help.
I doubt it's a corrupt save, since the problem spans through all 6 of my saved towns and I already checked for .bad save files, though the game seems to crash more often while in Appaloosa Plains. Also, I never even get to click the save button since the game crashes the second I hit the "Edit Town" button
Starting a new game didn't help. I clean cache regularly with CCleaner, but then again maybe I need to clean it in a different way?
Hello there,

the "caches" Lori mentioned and the "cache" you referred to are 2 different matters. CCleaner wipes out your browsers' caches, or registry cache, but on the other hand, there are some caches that can only be manually and safely removed by yourself.

Navigate to C:\Users\(your computer username here)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and delete the following caches:

Edit town crash 6d1adf8a4c

You also mentioned there are some ".bad" folders in your "Saves" folder, that could be a problem we need to address on later, but first, do the manual clearing of the caches listed above and let us know the result.
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 20:27

Well, I've deleted all the cache files and the whole "The Sims 3" folder (whole 14 gigabytes of it).
I've got no idea what did it and the game still lags, but I've finally been able to go back to edit town and save my progress.

Thank you all so much!!

Since all my custom content came from the games4theworld downloads, I'll carefully reinstall the worlds and some of the objects and clothes to see if there is a limit of custom content that my computer can take. 
Now, though, I wonder if there is any hope for my save games or should I just write them off?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 20:30

Wandering wrote:Well, I've deleted all the cache files and the whole "The Sims 3" folder (whole 14 gigabytes of it).
I've got no idea what did it and the game still lags, but I've finally been able to go back to edit town and save my progress.

Thank you all so much!!

Since all my custom content came from the games4theworld downloads, I'll carefully reinstall the worlds and some of the objects and clothes to see if there is a limit of custom content that my computer can take. 
Now, though, I wonder if there is any hope for my save games or should I just write them off?

That's good to hear! Very Happy

Regarding your game lag, maybe you can check this post for some tips on reducing it:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t4692-game-lag-possible-fixes

And about the save, you should check out this one:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t14129-tips-for-saving-your-corrupted-saves-including-error-12

This last one is not guaranteed, but it's worth a shot. Do keep us updated on how it goes. Good luck! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 21:05

Well, I already use Gamebooster and don't really need to worry about people since my towns are all pretty much ghost towns but I'll definitely try combining CC together. From the both posts I concluded that it's ok to merge patterns/objects/clothes but what about worlds? I think it's better to leave them standing alone?

Also, none of my saves are marked as ".bad" and I haven't been able to save since the problems started; so I'm thinking of putting them back to "The Sims 3" folder and start up the game in order to save the houses to the library and maybe saving the worlds with a new name before deleting the original saves. 
Though I'm afraid I'm launching myself into an avalanche of problems since none of the CC or worlds (e.g. Dragon Valley) I used are now installed. And then, if I were to do that after merging the CC (opposed to before) will I mess it up even more?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 21:52

Wandering wrote:Well, I already use Gamebooster and don't really need to worry about people since my towns are all pretty much ghost towns but I'll definitely try combining CC together. From the both posts I concluded that it's ok to merge patterns/objects/clothes but what about worlds? I think it's better to leave them standing alone?

Also, none of my saves are marked as ".bad" and I haven't been able to save since the problems started; so I'm thinking of putting them back to "The Sims 3" folder and start up the game in order to save the houses to the library and maybe saving the worlds with a new name before deleting the original saves. 
Though I'm afraid I'm launching myself into an avalanche of problems since none of the CC or worlds (e.g. Dragon Valley) I used are now installed. And then, if I were to do that after merging the CC (opposed to before) will I mess it up even more?

Yes, it's definitely better to not mess around with the worlds. I don't think that it's even possible to merge them. But even if it is, I recommend that you leave them alone.

As I understand, if you load a save where you previously had CC, it will be removed or replaced. But if you are trying to load a save in a world that you downloaded but don't have installed, I think it won't allow you to even load it at all. So, if you want to get into those saves to get some houses or households, you would have to install the World first. And as merging the Worlds is not possible, you don't have to worry about messing it up when you get into the save. Wink

I hope I understood what you meant. If not, please let me know. Keep us updated on how it goes, and good luck! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 22:18

Well then I'll install the worlds and load the saves. I can easily replace the custom CC once it's merged now that I can save my progress.

Than you all again so much for the help!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Sep 2014, 22:21

Wandering wrote:Well then I'll install the worlds and load the saves. I can easily replace the custom CC once it's merged now that I can save my progress.

Than you all again so much for the help!!

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Good luck! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top