Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing the game to a custom location

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Installing the game to a custom location Empty Installing the game to a custom location

Post by Guest Thu 23 Oct 2014, 17:24

Hello there. I need some help installing the Sims 4 to my computer. I have two disk drives on my computer. I have the smaller C: drive and I have a big ol D: Drive. C: is basically full. I need to install to D: but when I try to change the install location to D: (yes, I know, it's not recommended) It still tells me C: doesn't have enough room even though I have selected to install in D:. Is it not possible to install to any other drive at this point? Help

Back to top Go down

Installing the game to a custom location Empty Re: Installing the game to a custom location

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 23 Oct 2014, 17:32

brittany_ann wrote:Hello there. I need some help installing the Sims 4 to my computer. I have two disk drives on my computer. I have the smaller C: drive and I have a big ol D: Drive. C: is basically full. I need to install to D: but when I try to change the install location to D: (yes, I know, it's not recommended) It still tells me C: doesn't have enough room even though I have selected to install in D:. Is it not possible to install to any other drive at this point? Help

Hello brittany_ann and welcome to our forum,

I can't tell for sure, but my theory is that the actual "operation" of installing the game on D: will still need a certain amount of free space on C. Free up some space on C:, and try again. Smile 

Plus, keep in mind that by default, your savefiles and such will be installed on the C: drive...so you will need some space there anyway. Also, for the operating system to function properly, additional space on C: is needed too. There are workarounds for that too, but I'll get to that later. Good luck for now !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Installing the game to a custom location Empty Re: Installing the game to a custom location

Post by Guest Thu 23 Oct 2014, 19:25

Hi, I'm having the same problem. I tried my best and all I could do was free up to 6GB of space on my C: drive. However, it still will not let me change the installation path to my D: drive and gives me the same error. Any ideas on how to resolve this? WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 23 Oct 2014, 19:28

tonywashere wrote:Hi, I'm having the same problem. I tried my best and all I could do was free up to 6GB of space on my C: drive. However, it still will not let me change the installation path to my D: drive and gives me the same error. Any ideas on how to resolve this? WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Hello tonywashere, and welcome,

You should normally open your OWN topic for that, instead of posting under someone else's thread, but OK. At this point, I think this problem is due to the custom installer Games4TheWorld uses for that game.

So for now, the best thing we can suggest is to install it on the C: drive. WhatDidUJustCallMe?  

Last edited by Carlos on Thu 23 Oct 2014, 19:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos corrected.)
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Oct 2014, 19:29

Ah, I see. And I replied here so there won't be another topic with the same problem Razz But thanks, I'll keep that in mind for next time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu 23 Oct 2014, 19:39

Hello there,

Indeed, unfortunately that's an issue with the custom installer.
We still have to figure out how to solve it.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Oct 2014, 06:04

I am having the same problem and its because the installer has to unpack each setup.rar file to C (this should go to temp folder? mine is set to use D but it doesn't)

To unpack these setup files its 8gig+ and my c drive cannot get more then 1 or 2 more gigs because windows is installed on it and i can't delete that Razz

You have to get an installer that doesn't need to unpack the files to install them

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 24 Oct 2014, 16:04

HackHeaven wrote:I am having the same problem and its because the installer has to unpack each setup.rar file to C (this should go to temp folder? mine is set to use D but it doesn't)

To unpack these setup files its 8gig+ and my c drive cannot get more then 1 or 2 more gigs because windows is installed on it and i can't delete that Razz

You have to get an installer that doesn't need to unpack the files to install them

Hello HackHeaven and welcome,

Depending on how things turn out, we might modify (sometime in the future) our Sims 4 base game release. But yes, it's a custom installer, that extracts the program files to the C: drive.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but if your C: drive so short on space that you can only pack "1 - 2 GBs" in it, then you can't play Sims 4 anyway, even if you manged to install it somehow. Keep in mind that by default, the savegames and other custom stuff of Sims 4 is saved on your C: drive (there are workarounds for that, though). In addition, you will need some extra free space for the OS to function properly, too.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Oct 2014, 13:28

Hello everyone, it seems someone else already had my problem (trying to tell the installer to install to D,E, whatever and still ending up having it installed on C).
I'm not short on hard disk space so i could easily keep it on C, but i was thinking...Apart from the values in the language changers keys, is there any other spot where the actual installation directory is used?I'm tempted to just copy-paste the entire The Sims 4 folder to wherever i want and try but i'm scared it could ruin everything Sad
EDIT Also, about the language changers file...I'm noticing every single file has the line 
""GDFBinary"="INSTALLATION DIRECTORY\\__Installer\\GDFBinary_en_US.dll" in it with the en_US dll being registered...Is that something you did on purpose or should we actually change them to use our actual language dlls?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Oct 2014, 17:42

Delaene wrote:Hello everyone, it seems someone else already had my problem (trying to tell the installer to install to D,E, whatever and still ending up having it installed on C).
I'm not short on hard disk space so i could easily keep it on C, but i was thinking...Apart from the values in the language changers keys, is there any other spot where the actual installation directory is used?I'm tempted to just copy-paste the entire The Sims 4 folder to wherever i want and try but i'm scared it could ruin everything Sad
EDIT Also, about the language changers file...I'm noticing every single file has the line 
""GDFBinary"="INSTALLATION DIRECTORY\\__Installer\\GDFBinary_en_US.dll" in it with the en_US dll being registered...Is that something you did on purpose or should we actually change them to use our actual language dlls?

Hi there! Smile

Yes, there are actually a lot of things in the registry that are affected by the installation directory location. So "just copy-pasting" the The Sims 4 folder from one drive to another will never work, and will cause the program to break. So, if you're not short on space in the C: drive, I suggest that you leave it be there. Moving it is more trouble than it's worth.

And yes, those lines from the Language Changers are supposed to be like that. There's no need to change that. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Oct 2014, 23:34

Just makin' sure. So as of now, there is absolutely no way to install to a different location? I have all my games, including both Origin and Steam, installed on a separate drive, and I really don't want to have to start installing any on my C: drive. If there is a possibility that in the future the installer might be changed, I'll just wait 'til then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Oct 2014, 13:57

RockSaltShells95 wrote:Just makin' sure. So as of now, there is absolutely no way to install to a different location? I have all my games, including both Origin and Steam, installed on a separate drive, and I really don't want to have to start installing any on my C: drive. If there is a possibility that in the future the installer might be changed, I'll just wait 'til then.

Hi there. Smile

Yes, it's probable that the Installer will be changed in the future. But in the moment, you *should* be able to install it on the D: drive (but you'll need space in C: anyway) but some people are having issues with that too. Sorry for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Oct 2014, 10:59

I have the same problem, I wish Games4theWorld would update it soon, I have faith in them, I'm gonna post this comment so I can follow this thread if the fix / modifications have been released Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top