Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrading Windows.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Upgrading Windows. Empty Upgrading Windows.

Post by Guest Sat 21 Feb 2015, 23:42

Hello, at present I am running Sims3 and add-ons on Windows 7 (64 bit). Can I safely upgrade to Windows 8 without it having any effect on my Sims games?
Thank you
Tamariki

Back to top Go down

Upgrading Windows. Empty Re: Upgrading Windows.

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 00:47

Hi there, @tamariki! Smile

The Sims 3 is compatible with Windows 8, so you won't have any problems in that regard. But how exactly are you planning to upgrade? There are different ways to do it, and some of them keep the programs you have installed but some of them don't. If the one you will be doing doesn't uninstall programs, then you shouldn't have any issues. If you want to be completely sure, you should backup your Saves and other content from Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. Worst case scenario, you'll have to install the game again and then simply add the Saves back.

Please, let us know how it goes. Good luck! Very Happy

Last edited by SeoY on Sun 22 Feb 2015, 12:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 22 Feb 2015, 08:27

tamariki wrote:Hello, at present I am running Sims3 and add-ons on Windows 7 (64 bit). Can I safely upgrade to Windows 8 without it having any effect on my Sims games?
Thank you
Tamariki

Hello tamariki,

My very serious suggestion: stick with Windows 7. Even if you choose the "safe method" that doesn't affect your installed programs, it's just not worth the hassle.

Why exactly would you want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 anyway ? Smile  Because Windows 8 is "newer" ? Because some shop clerk may have told you it's "better" ? 

Windows 8 has HUGE problems with older games & software. And this weird "new desktop", that was intended for tablet users, is also cumbersome to use; even though you can "switch" to the classic desktop. But there are many smaller issues too, for example UAC (User Account Control)-related issues, that make things like moving or copying files a pain sometimes. Also, you cannot easily de-activate the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) on your whole system. Sure, all these "safety" measures are well-meant by Microsoft. In the end though, they make lots of things only more painful. I see it all the time when I help users via TeamViewer: Windows 8 makes it much more difficult for me.

I myself have been using Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) for many years now, and I absolutely don't regret it. In my opinion, Windows 7 is by far the best Windows operating system ever (we still have to see what Windows 10 will be like, though).

To sum up: in my opinion, there is no pragmatic reason to switch to Windows 8 in your situation. But of course, in the end, you may do as you wish. 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Feb 2015, 10:17

Thank you Carlos. I will stay with Windows 7.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 22 Feb 2015, 20:43

tamariki wrote:Thank you Carlos. I will stay with Windows 7.

Very good decision ! Very Happy  Windows 7 should "hold" for at least a couple of years more. If you really want a new Windows OS, you should wait what Windows 10 will be like. Chances are that it will be similarly good as Windows 7.

Microsoft always seems to release a good system, followed by bad one, and then followed again by a good one. Example: Windows XP (good) -> Windows Vista (bad) -> Windows 7 (very good) -> Windows 8 (very bad) -> Windows 10 (?).

Do you have any other question for now or can we close this thread ? Smile 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Jul 2015, 17:46

Carlos wrote:
tamariki wrote:Thank you Carlos. I will stay with Windows 7.

Very good decision ! Very Happy  Windows 7 should "hold" for at least a couple of years more. If you really want a new Windows OS, you should wait what Windows 10 will be like. Chances are that it will be similarly good as Windows 7.

Microsoft always seems to release a good system, followed by bad one, and then followed again by a good one. Example: Windows XP (good) -> Windows Vista (bad) -> Windows 7 (very good) -> Windows 8 (very bad) -> Windows 10 (?).

Do you have any other question for now or can we close this thread ? Smile 

I have same problem here..
I had reserved Windows 10 copy, but I haven't receive it yet, and I never try the beta version of Windows 10.
Right now, my computer works in Windows 8.1 64 bit. I have questions :
1. If I migrate to Windows 10, will my TS3 works fine?
2. Do I need to uninstall and then reinstall the game?
3. Sorry, if this question is OOT... how can I reply with multi-quote? I open this website from computer

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue 28 Jul 2015, 20:15

aikaLuvly78 wrote:I have same problem here..
I had reserved Windows 10 copy, but I haven't receive it yet, and I never try the beta version of Windows 10.
Right now, my computer works in Windows 8.1 64 bit. I have questions :
1. If I migrate to Windows 10, will my TS3 works fine?
2. Do I need to uninstall and then reinstall the game?
3. Sorry, if this question is OOT... how can I reply with multi-quote? I open this website from computer
Hi again Aika,

Please keep all your questions about the same game in the same topic, that makes it easier for us to track progress and provide help.
So open your own topic, or have a team member re-open your old one. Smile
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top