Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sims 3 Filling Space. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sims 3 Filling Space. [SOLVED] Empty Sims 3 Filling Space. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Thu 21 May 2015, 17:31

I'm asking this for a friend who is installing the same thing I did, the Sims 3 Complete Collection. I installed it without problems, so I sent it to him because he wanted the expansions. However, when he tries to install it, even with originally having 71GB space available(and I think attempting to install in the D: drive), when he tries to install it, it completely fills up his C: drive. What can he do to fix this?

Back to top Go down

Sims 3 Filling Space. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Sims 3 Filling Space. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Thu 21 May 2015, 17:59

pluvialConciliator wrote:I'm asking this for a friend who is installing the same thing I did, the Sims 3 Complete Collection. I installed it without problems, so I sent it to him because he wanted the expansions. However, when he tries to install it, even with originally having 71GB space available(and I think attempting to install in the D: drive), when he tries to install it, it completely fills up his C: drive. What can he do to fix this?

When the Installer page gives the option of 'Typical' or 'Custom'. Choose Custom install and it will allow you to choose the folder to install it in. Hopefully this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by D' Eradicated Thu 21 May 2015, 18:06

Hi and welcome to the Games4theWorld forums.

Are you trying to install the expansion packs from the archive itself? It yes, it causes WinRAR to extract the whole thing to a temporary location on the drive, thus filling up space. Try extracting the folders before installing.

Hope that helps.  Good job!

D' Eradicated
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims Series, Minecraft, Counter-Strike 1.6, The Escapists, I Am Bread, Besiege, SimCity 2000, DotA 1, Dota 2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 21 May 2015, 18:40

pluvialConciliator wrote:I'm asking this for a friend who is installing the same thing I did, the Sims 3 Complete Collection. I installed it without problems, so I sent it to him because he wanted the expansions. However, when he tries to install it, even with originally having 71GB space available(and I think attempting to install in the D: drive), when he tries to install it, it completely fills up his C: drive. What can he do to fix this?

Hello,

The first thing to keep in mind, if you are planning to install TS3 + expansions on a different drive than C:, is described here:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t19680-a-note-on-installing-the-sims-3-on-external-drives

You basically need to "prepare" all the folders in advance, and after you installed the base game, you should not change anything about either the registry or the install location.

And 71GB is not that much. As D'Eradicated said already, did you (or your friend) already extract the contents from the .RAR file, into a folder on the computer ? Note that the extracted folders take up about 36GB already. And after the actual installation, about 33.5 more GBs will be needed (I just checked my own system for that) - so space could be scarce.

Tell your friend to free up some space, if possible, because even if he managed to install everything in the end, there won't be much filespace anymore. But you will still need some extra filespace, for the operating system (and any other important background services/processes) to work properly.

Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 May 2015, 05:03

Carlos wrote:

Hello,

The first thing to keep in mind, if you are planning to install TS3 + expansions on a different drive than C:, is described here:
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t19680-a-note-on-installing-the-sims-3-on-external-drives

You basically need to "prepare" all the folders in advance, and after you installed the base game, you should not change anything about either the registry or the install location.

And 71GB is not that much. As D'Eradicated said already, did you (or your friend) already extract the contents from the .RAR file, into a folder on the computer ? Note that the extracted folders take up about 36GB already. And after the actual installation, about 33.5 more GBs will be needed (I just checked my own system for that) - so space could be scarce.

Tell your friend to free up some space, if possible, because even if he managed to install everything in the end, there won't be much filespace anymore. But you will still need some extra filespace, for the operating system (and any other important background services/processes) to work properly.

Good luck !
The next time he gets on, I will be sure to show him the guide to installing on external drives.

However, when I say he had 71GB free, that included the existence of the .RAR file, and even only installing the base game caused it to suddenly fill up completely.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 23 May 2015, 05:37

pluvialConciliator wrote:
However, when I say he had 71GB free, that included the existence of the .RAR file, and even only installing the base game caused it to suddenly fill up completely.

OK, but did you (or the friend) already EXTRACT the contents from the .RAR, into a single empty folder ? Please do that, if it hasn't been done yet. Also, after the extraction is done, please move the actual .RAR file somewhere else, like an external hard-drive (after extraction it is not necessary to have it, for installing the game).

And then, proceed with installing the games from the folder with the extracted .RAR contents. If it still "fills up" the hard-drive, then this is most likely not caused by the download, but by something else, which I can't tell (yet). Sorry.  This is the first time I heard fom such an error...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 May 2015, 23:58

Carlos wrote:
pluvialConciliator wrote:

OK, but did you (or the friend) already EXTRACT the contents from the .RAR, into a single empty folder ? Please do that, if it hasn't been done yet. Also, after the extraction is done, please move the actual .RAR file somewhere else, like an external hard-drive (after extraction it is not necessary to have it, for installing the game).

And then, proceed with installing the games from the folder with the extracted .RAR contents. If it still "fills up" the hard-drive, then this is most likely not caused by the download, but by something else, which I can't tell (yet). Sorry.  This is the first time I heard fom such an error...

This seems to have worked, thanks. Smile

Mod edit: you're welcome ! Feel free to open a new thread anytime again. Have fun - problem solved, topic closed.

- Carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top