Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about moving TS4 folder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Questions about moving TS4 folder Empty Questions about moving TS4 folder

Post by Guest Sat 22 Aug 2015, 17:29

Can someone help me out with this? I downloaded all of the ultimate fix, making sure the file sizes are 850/850/850/850/771, but I'm getting that dang needing origin to run error. I'm trying to move TS4 folder, but I'm having a few problems.

The first thing I do is cut the folder out of EA's folder, doing this, I get a pop-up that says:

"This folder has one or more of its subfolders shared with other people
If you move this folder, other people won't be able to access its shared content.
Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4"

Since I haven't seen a post saying you have to make the subfolders shareable again, I skipped this step. In the process of trying to move the folder, I get the pop up about three times. I move the folder so the location is C\:Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4. At this point, I have Norton turned off, I don't have Windows Defender on my computer. I go to open The Sims 4, and I get the following message: 

"PROBLEM WITH SHORTCUT
The item 'TS4.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.
Do you want to delete this shortcut?" 

What do I do once I get this point? The only way I know how to 'fix' it is putting the folder back in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\, but it'll give me the 'origin is required' to run message. I know I can open origin and the sims 4 will work then, but I really want the DLCs. 

I'm currently redownloading all of the ultimate fix in case someone recommends to do that, but I'm hoping that isn't the case since there's 3 hours left on each download. 

I apologize if this has already been answered. I haven't seen a post yet where someone has got either of the subfolders or problem with shortcut pop-ups. I've been searching the forum for about 2 hours and haven't really found anything that's been helpful. Any response will help me! Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Questions about moving TS4 folder Empty Re: Questions about moving TS4 folder

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 23 Aug 2015, 00:08

odetodun wrote:Can someone help me out with this? I downloaded all of the ultimate fix, making sure the file sizes are 850/850/850/850/771, but I'm getting that dang needing origin to run error. I'm trying to move TS4 folder, but I'm having a few problems.

The first thing I do is cut the folder out of EA's folder, doing this, I get a pop-up that says:

If you move this folder, other people won't be able to access its shared content.

Since I haven't seen a post saying you have to make the subfolders shareable again, I skipped this step. In the process of trying to move the folder, I get the pop up about three times. I move the folder so the location is C\:Program Files (x86)\The Sims 4. At this point, I have Norton turned off, I don't have Windows Defender on my computer. I go to open The Sims 4, and I get the following message: 

"PROBLEM WITH SHORTCUT
The item 'TS4.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

What do I do once I get this point? The only way I know how to 'fix' it is putting the folder back in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\, but it'll give me the 'origin is required' to run message. I know I can open origin and the sims 4 will work then, but I really want the DLCs. 

I'm currently redownloading all of the ultimate fix in case someone recommends to do that, but I'm hoping that isn't the case since there's 3 hours left on each download. 

I apologize if this has already been answered. I haven't seen a post yet where someone has got either of the subfolders or problem with shortcut pop-ups. I've been searching the forum for about 2 hours and haven't really found anything that's been helpful. Any response will help me! Thank you!

Hello,

Let's see...I'd suggest you DELETE any existing shortcuts pointing to TS4, on your desktop. 

THEN, navigate to your new game install location: C:\Program files(x86)\The Sims 4\Game\Bin. Right-click on the TS4.exe and select "send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)". 

The reason you are getting the error is because the old shortcut still "points" to the OLD install location, inside the Electronic Arts-folder. So you should try and create a NEW shortcut. Good luck !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Aug 2015, 03:00

Carlos wrote:
odetodun wrote:Can someone help me out with this? I downloaded all of the ultimate fix, making sure the file sizes are 850/850/850/850/771, but I'm getting that dang needing origin to run error. I'm trying to move TS4 folder, but I'm having a few problems.

"PROBLEM WITH SHORTCUT

Hello,

Let's see...I'd suggest you DELETE any existing shortcuts pointing to TS4, on your desktop. 

THEN, navigate to your new game install location: C:\Program files(x86)\The Sims 4\Game\Bin. Right-click on the TS4.exe and select "send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)". 

The reason you are getting the error is because the old shortcut still "points" to the OLD install location, inside the Electronic Arts-folder. So you should try and create a NEW shortcut. Good luck !

This worked! Thanks Carlos! The only other problem I'm having now is that none of my custom content is showing ever since I updated. Do you have a solution for that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top