Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 8.1 Pro Grey world, Lowest Settings, Compatibility makes game dim! [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 8.1 Pro Grey world, Lowest Settings, Compatibility makes game dim! [SOLVED] Empty Windows 8.1 Pro Grey world, Lowest Settings, Compatibility makes game dim! [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:46

Okay, so before I start, I would like to mentioned that I am VERY new here, like 5 min or so (at the moment of posting this), so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong sections or if there are any solutions for this already. The thing is, I have searched the net all around for a solution for my combination of problems, but none of them work. So here it is.

First of all, for the past 3 years I have been playing the Base game + Pets expansion. ONLY those two games. Yes, they are torrented, I burnt them on a disk, been using them on Windows 7 without any issues. Never even needed any of the fixes from here. 
Now, last week I got myself a new computer with an Intel i3 - 2100 processor, a new NVIDIA GTX 750 graphics card and 8 GB of ram. I also installed Windows 8.1 Pro. I checked on various websites and I my system should be able to run the game on high settings or more. In addition, all of my components, including the OS supposedly are compatible with the Sims 3. All of my drivers etc. are updated to the latest, checked it more than once. Regardless, the following happened.

So after getting a pretty good update from my old computer I decided to install the games again. So I did. However, the moment I got into the game, the first thing that I got was a notification that my Graphics card could not be recognized, so the game was to set the settings on low/high...I don't remember which one of these two it was, but it didn't matter to me because the same thing happened before (on old system + old hardware) and all I needed to do was to change the settings to what I wanted and the game looked and worked fine. 
However this time around two things started happening which annoy the hell out of me.

1. The settings are stuck on lowest possible. No matter how many times I tried to set them up, when I restart the game as prompted to do, the settings would be reset to what they were before. I would also like to mention that "High Detail Lots" does not have a scroll option. It's is stuck on 1 and I cannot even try to change it because the slider is not visible. 

2. The game world, upon entering is grey. The only thing I can see are shapes and the menu letting me create or move in a household. I tried selecting a household and moving them in which worked and when I zoomed in on them the world appeared as normal. However, I don't want to have this issue to begin with.

Now, I tried to solve these problems in many ways, the only solutions being to run the game in compatibility mode for windows 7. BUT! If I do that, the game looks very dark and dim. Nothing I tried fixes this. I didn't try running in Windowed mode because playing the game like that is out of the question to begin with. I am tired and fed up with not being able to find a solution, mostly because nobody in the world who has posted a similar problem doesn't exactly have the same problem combination that I have. For most people turning on compatibility mode worked, but in my case if I do that the game is dark. For people with the dark screen problem, turning off compatibility mode worked, but If I did that, my game looks like crap. I have spend over 8h searching for a solution and I couldn't find one that solves everything. I am really starting to panic that I won't be able to play the game anymore normally, especially because I am definitely not able afford changing my components at this time again. I really need help! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad 

I am really sorry for the long and maybe raging post, but don't get me wrong. I am just mad that my computer is new and is able to run games such as Fallout 4 on medium or better, yet the Sims won't even let me change my settings. I am hoping the community here will be able to solve my problem.  Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Windows 8.1 Pro Grey world, Lowest Settings, Compatibility makes game dim! [SOLVED] Empty Re: Windows 8.1 Pro Grey world, Lowest Settings, Compatibility makes game dim! [SOLVED]

Post by Sim Architect Tue 24 Nov 2015, 12:54

Hi! It is ok. First, update your NVidia Drivers directly from their website. Second, run the game "with the NVidia card" and NOT with the "intel onboard one" (you can select that by right clicking the game icon).

The non recognized video card error is quite common, but you should be able to change your settings and they should stick. Please check your default Documents saving folder (since your system may be saving your Documents to OneDrive instead of your local folder by default, messing up with your game entirely every time you restart it). You fix that by going to your libraries, right clicking the Documents library and selecting the properties etc...

Also, I'd advise you so use the Complete Collection, since you got a new machine with lots of RAM and a nice video card (pick whichever expansions you like, as long you install at least one newer than generations), and follow the procedures and use the links from my video below, please.

Keep us posted, so we can assist you further, or close your case Smile

Tea 5 Tea 5

The Sims 3 Complete Collection: https://youtu.be/oTx-Swi2YV0

Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Windows 8.1 Pro Grey world, Lowest Settings, Compatibility makes game dim! [SOLVED] Empty Re: Windows 8.1 Pro Grey world, Lowest Settings, Compatibility makes game dim! [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Tue 24 Nov 2015, 13:09

Hello! 

I will try to that today and I will post if anything helped! Very Happy Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Tue 24 Nov 2015, 13:12

Great! Remember! Base Game, Full Update, Expansions you Want, Update to the Small Expansions in the right Order (numerical order), Full Update again, Fix, Enjoy and have fun!!!

Tea 5 Tea 5
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Nov 2015, 13:29

Oh just a small update! Although I am already downloading the complete collection and all, I tried just now to install the base game again and start it without the pets expansion. And it works! No problems at all. Could that mean that the Pets expansion I have is causing the problems? O.o

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Nov 2015, 19:35

Okay, so I downloaded the Complete collection from your post, I followed the instructions from your video and the game works! Very Happy Not only that, now I have everything! Very Happy I am sooo happy it's crazy! Very Happy Thank you so much! Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect Tue 24 Nov 2015, 23:50

LunarWolf94 wrote:Okay, so I downloaded the Complete collection from your post, I followed the instructions from your video and the game works! Very Happy Not only that, now I have everything! Very Happy I am sooo happy it's crazy! Very Happy Thank you so much! Very Happy Very Happy
AWESOME!!!

I wish you a great gaming experience!

And you can also download the entire store content if you want too (download is also linked in my video's description above).

I will close the topic now. Be welcome to open another if you need anything else.

Happy simming!!

Tea 4 Tea 4
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top