Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED] Empty Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2016, 02:56

kytonderogaHi, 

For use more than 2Gb limit of RAM ( the sims is a 32 bits app.).

Edit Sim3.ini in your game folder with an editor ( like notepad++).

Look for the line: MemoryUsageLimit = 20000000 (2Gb limits of RAM for the game).

Change it for another value ( ex: 40000000 is 4GB (becareful it's 4 with seven zeros ), 60000000 for 6Gb etc....)

Be prudent, don't allow all your memories: 4Gb if you have 8Gb of RAM is good ( don't forget that Window need memory (~2Gb for me) to run Wink  ).

My config:

CPU : Intel I5 2500K 
MB: ASUS P8Z68 - V Pro/GenIII
RAM : 2*4Gb Corsair Vengeance
GC: ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCuII (Nvidia Geforce570GTX).
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits.
Sims3 with all expansions and kits (Thanks to G4TW Very Happy ) and patch 1.36 + ultimate fix

Another tips:

Try to enable Vsync on in Nvidia setting control panel.

In the tree look for "3D settings" and behind "manage 3D setting" click on this.
A list of option will appear with a scroll bar. Scroll away to the bottom and find the option called Vertical sync. and turn it to force on.Click on "Apply" and it's done. 

Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED] 3479271199 It's all, happy simming. Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED] 3479271199
Hello guys, its me again with some questions.

I found this information in a topic at game fixes section. I found out that I can not post in that topic. It's an old and possibly dead topic though, this information however, was something I never had before. I saw many tips and tricks to help game run smoother but I never recognized that there was a way that limits the memory usage of the game. So I checked and found out the line in my base game folder and changed it to 4gb to have more power in my arsenal.

I also checked the expansion game folders and found out that some of them have a sims3.ini file while some do not. For instance, late night game : bin folder includes a sims3.ini file which also indicates some settings, but my into the future game folder does not have an .ini file. My latest patch is into the future, so do you guys have any information about it? Is it just ok if I accord only the base game folder? 

I have 8gb of ddr3 1600xmp. I will replace that in seconds, if someone tells me that its not good enough for sims. (however, as I can test, game doesn't remotely come close to that)

Anyway, the main question is, should I also edit all of the expansion .ini files in order to get it working?

Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down

Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 14 Apr 2016, 03:48

//MOVED

Hello,

You don't need to modify anything about the expansions. Doing this for the base game should be enough (by running the game, you are running the TS3W.exe file, which is located in the base game folder, and hence the other expansions don't matter here in this context).

You could have also applied the "4GB patch" (google for it) to the TS3W.exe though, which would have had the same effect.

And since The Sims 3 is a 32-bit application, it can only use a maximum of 4GB of your available RAM. 8GB of RAM is OK, but the game simply can't utilize more than 4GB of it. 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED] Empty Re: Question about handling the memory settings. [SOLVED]

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2016, 07:24

Thanks for revealing that. As I understand from your answer, this is an issue about the large address aware flags. In that case, I assume using the patch you mentioned is wiser than just editting an .ini file.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 14 Apr 2016, 23:16

Quetze wrote:Thanks for revealing that. As I understand from your answer, this is an issue about the large address aware flags. In that case, I assume using the patch you mentioned is wiser than just editting an .ini file.

Thank you.

Theoretically, the method you quoted in your opening post should work too, but yes, I myself prefer using the 4GB patch, because it is more convenient. Also, you can use certain command prompts to increase the amount of RAM that user applications can use. 

Press the Windows key + R; type cmd, hit enter, and then use the following command.
bcdedit.exe/set IncreaseUserVA 4096

That would be another possibility.

Since your question seems answered, I will close the topic now. Have fun !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top