Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stupid Question I know, but...I need an answer.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stupid Question I know, but...I need an answer. Empty Stupid Question I know, but...I need an answer.

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jan 2017, 13:23

I have a question...Yeah, I know! It might bee stupid, but...I got to know...lol

I know that creators to mods, objects, skins etc to the sims quite often uses the package file, for their creations and that it should go to MODS folder. Then there are creators that uses sims3package file, like the sims3 store uses for example. I have always been a bit confused when I have seen sims 3 store goodies made as a package file. Since I am so used to see it as a sims3package file. So my question is this, Is the whole store package converted in to package format from sims3package!? Let us say for an example. If I want to install the "Oh My Goth" store Compilation in to my game and it happen to bee as a Package file and not as it comes when you get it from store, as an sims3package file. Are they still the same? All stuff in one package, even if it is a package file rather than a sims3package file. It is little confusing when they sometimes put both package and sims3package in an rar file when you download their creations. Yes, I know, stupid question it might bee. But I got to know, so that I do not do anything stupid by mistake, because of being confused about it.... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Stupid Question I know, but...I need an answer. Empty Re: Stupid Question I know, but...I need an answer.

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sun 29 Jan 2017, 13:34

Hello,

It depends on the sims3pack. With a compilation, you can be certain there are several packages, one for each item. Of course, you can then combine package files again to make them easier on the system. That is exactly what we did for the Complete Store collection.

Fun fact: The launcher extracts the packages from the sims3packs when you install them. These then end up in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup.

The process of converting the sims3pack to package files also removes some useless information that will only bloat your game.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Stupid Question I know, but...I need an answer. Empty Re: Stupid Question I know, but...I need an answer.

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jan 2017, 14:15

Ah, ok! Thanks now I know I have nothing to worry about  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 01 Feb 2017, 18:11

Gothic_Queen77 wrote:Ah, ok! Thanks now I know I have nothing to worry about  Very Happy

Another disadvantage though is, that if you have too many individual .package files, they can slow down your game as well, in which case you could merge those: https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t3840-combining-cc-in-package-format-updated-28-june-13

If you install .sims3pack files, they all get "melted" into big .dbc files, which seems to be some proprietary file format from EA. If the launcher of the game wasn't so terrible to use (and it was never really fixed), then it may matter less. But I myself try using EXCLUSIVELY .package files these days, because they are easy to handle.

Haters gonna hate
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2017, 17:09

yes, me too ghost! But they only use sims3package at the sim resource. I try to get as little from there and use more package files as well.  Good job!

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Fri 10 Feb 2017, 19:11

Gothic_Queen77 wrote:yes, me too ghost! But they only use sims3package at the sim resource. I try to get as little from there and use more package files as well.  Good job!

It's possible to extract those sims3packs and make them into packages!

Ɛɗιη wrote:
You can use this tool to extract individual sims3packs into package files. If you're going to extract a lot of sims3packs like this, its better to combine them as explained here.

From this post Smile
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2017, 21:24

Thanks Edin, I will have to start to use that tool for sure  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top