Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warning email from twc about pirating ts4.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warning email from twc about pirating ts4. Empty Warning email from twc about pirating ts4.

Post by Guest Wed 05 Apr 2017, 01:32

hello, this is my first post here so sorry if this is in the wrong place. also sorry if this has been posted about before. (i couldn't find any topics about it.)

i got an email about pirating ts4 from time warner cable (or spectrum, whatever you want to call it now) today. they warned me to stop pirating things such as movies, music, games, etc. and told me if i was caught again i could have my service terminated.  i have had ts4 on my computer for well over two years, and i recently put it on my sister's a few months ago. 

i did some research about this and apparently it happened because EA somehow knew i pirated ts4 and contacted twc about it. my question is will EA know when i update my game to have the vampires expansion and toddlers update? 

i'm not really worried about it but i'm just searching for some reassurance. 

and another thing, could i just use a vpn to download the update?

Back to top Go down

Warning email from twc about pirating ts4. Empty Re: Warning email from twc about pirating ts4.

Post by Guest Wed 05 Apr 2017, 10:25

Strange story:

1. When you download and install a pirated the Sims 4 you are not making contact with Origin or Electronic Arts.
2. Same applies when you update with Vampires/Toddlers.

Have you thoroughly checked the mail-address of twc ?
Is it something like xxxx@timewarnercable.com ?

Back to top Go down

Warning email from twc about pirating ts4. Empty Re: Warning email from twc about pirating ts4.

Post by Guest Wed 05 Apr 2017, 17:27

i know it's a genuine email from twc. here's half the email:

edit: noticed something stranger. they say it's for the get together expansion rather than the base game. that just seems weird to me. also i'm not sure why the date is april 1st unless it has something to do with the rar files still being in my sister's utorrent. i'm not very tech savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff. 

Dear xxxx (Primary Account Holder),
We have been notified that copyrighted content may have been shared using your Internet connection without permission of the copyright owner. 
What does that mean?
Copyright owners (such as artists, moviemakers, and authors) and their representatives routinely monitor peer-to-peer networks to see if their content (such as music, movies, and TV shows) is being shared without their permission. If they notice somebody sharing their content without their permission through a Time Warner Cable account, they let us know. 
As the primary account holder, you are responsible for making sure your account is not used for copyright infringement. Please note that we don’t know which computer or other device may be the one to have triggered the notification; it could be any device using your account.
 What was allegedly shared and when?
File Name: The Sims 4 - Get Together.rar
Content Type: 
Content URL: 
Shared: Apr 1 2017 9:04PM
IP Address: xxxxx
Did you provide my personal information to the copyright owner?
We have not shared any of your personal information with the copyright owner in connection with the notice that we received. Rather, the copyright owner or its representative simply provided us with an IP address associated with your account, and we then sent this alert to you.

Last edited by icydespair on Wed 05 Apr 2017, 17:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Apr 2017, 19:24

This could very well be when you transferred the files over to your sister's computer.

It would be hard to pinpoint it more precisely, since we do not have more information about your subscription to TWC and how you installed things over to your sister's computer.

This does seem legit though. If it isn't an April Fool's joke IAmSoHappyEmergahwd

Back to top Go down

Post by D' Eradicated Wed 05 Apr 2017, 19:54

I'm guessing it's because of your torrent client. Judging by the email sent by TWC, they know what file you're "sharing". Are you seeding it by any chance?

D' Eradicated
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims Series, Minecraft, Counter-Strike 1.6, The Escapists, I Am Bread, Besiege, SimCity 2000, DotA 1, Dota 2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Apr 2017, 03:59

i didn't share the file from my computer to hers. 0: i downloaded it and all the others from g4tw.

and sorry i forgot to answer when i first posted but the files were seeding. i'm also going to go with it being because of that. the email from twc included information about p2p activity.  IAmSoHappyEmergahwd

Last edited by icydespair on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 04:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i'm bad at posting on forums and forgot to answer a question just ignore my newby behavior or laugh at it honestly)

Back to top Go down

Post by D' Eradicated Thu 06 Apr 2017, 07:57

If you want to continue seeding, I suggest you use VPN. I don't use a VPN here in the Philippines but maybe others here can help you with that. Smile

D' Eradicated
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims Series, Minecraft, Counter-Strike 1.6, The Escapists, I Am Bread, Besiege, SimCity 2000, DotA 1, Dota 2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 08 Apr 2017, 21:53

icydespair wrote:i didn't share the file from my computer to hers. 0: i downloaded it and all the others from g4tw.

and sorry i forgot to answer when i first posted but the files were seeding. i'm also going to go with it being because of that. the email from twc included information about p2p activity.  IAmSoHappyEmergahwd

Maybe the discussion-thread here can help with VPNs.
https://games4theworld.forumotion.com/t19329-free-vpn-that-s-reliable-and-doesn-t-require-proprietary-software
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Apr 2017, 18:32

This is why I prefer mediafire links to update games, my brother is worried about this happening now a days from doing torrents.  Why God.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sun 09 Apr 2017, 18:41

cows5evah wrote:This is why I prefer mediafire links to update games, my brother is worried about this happening now a days from doing torrents.  Why God.

As said in another thread, we will start off with torrent-releases at first. After the initial seeding, we will start putting out a few direct download links (MediaFire, MEGA, GoogleDrive, etc.). Or, you could also ask @Tarac for direct download-solutions, in the event you do not like to wait for us to release direct downloads.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Apr 2017, 19:04

The_gh0stm4n wrote:
As said in another thread, we will start off with torrent-releases at first. After the initial seeding, we will start putting out a few direct download links (MediaFire, MEGA, GoogleDrive, etc.). Or, you could also ask @Tarac for direct download-solutions, in the event you do not like to wait for us to release direct downloads.
A complete list of direct downloads can be found HERE
However, most of them are in .iso format, so you must be familiar with Poweriso

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 May 2017, 10:36

As others have stated in their replies above, you should subscribe for a VPN service in order to avoid such warnings. It’ll hide your actual IP and mask all your web activity (here you can read more useful info). In addition, I recommend avoiding services that are based in the US or EU. Better subscribe for a service, which is non-accountable to their surveillance programs. Stay safe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top