Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE! Empty Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE!

Post by Guest Fri 30 Aug 2019, 07:21

Hi!
So I've been having some issues with my Sims 2 game, like it not saving the photos I take, the game crashing on me when I tried to create a new neighborhood and crashing then some more for going to community lots and basically just crashing, which is, ironically, crushing me cause one of the main reason I love the Sims2 so much is because it doesn't crash as much as the Sims3 did for me(I don't have a very gaming friendly laptop, so I now understand that it might not have been the game's fault, but I digress). 
Anyways, what I want to do is to:
- Save all my sims and families and if possible some of my neighborhoods, but I'm not sure how to do this Facepalm 
- Next I want to uninstall it. I got the Sims2 Complete Collection from this website, is there any special way I should go about this? 
- Finally, I want to install it all again and I was wondering if there was a way I could do this that doesn't include having to download it all again?
Any help is much appreciated! Help

Back to top Go down

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE! Empty Re: Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE!

Post by The_gh0stm4n Fri 30 Aug 2019, 19:15

Hello @AiHaibara,

If you haven't tried so yet, I would try a few more things before resorting to uninstalling/reinstalling. Check out this thread here and try doing the DEP fix first. Yes, this was written for TS4, but the step is applicable for basically any other application as well. If it doesn't at least reduce your crashing problem, then try something else.

Go under Documents\EA GAMES, and find a folder "The Sims 2". See my own example screenshot:

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE! WNU6mkR

For me it's named "TS2 Ultimate Collection", but if you have the older Sims 2 version, I guess it will be named "The Sims 2". So either way, rename that folder temporarily, and start up the game. You will notice that initially it will take longer to load a bit, but then you can start a new savefile, and take it from there. Maybe your issues are caused by neighborhood or sim corruption, hence the suggestion of renaming your existing "savefile(s)", if you wish.

If that still does not fix your crashing issues, then the reason might be your computer, or...indeed you could try re-installing:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Uninstall

Make sure that after the initial un-install, to re-boot the computer before re-installing.

Keep us posted if you like! Yess, aye lieeke!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE! Empty Re: Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE!

Post by Guest Sat 31 Aug 2019, 04:33

The_gh0stm4n wrote:Hello @AiHaibara,

If you haven't tried so yet, I would try a few more things before resorting to uninstalling/reinstalling. Check out this thread here and try doing the DEP fix first. Yes, this was written for TS4, but the step is applicable for basically any other application as well. If it doesn't at least reduce your crashing problem, then try something else.

Go under Documents\EA GAMES, and find a folder "The Sims 2". See my own example screenshot:

Uninstalling and then Reinstalling my Sims2 HELP PLEASE! WNU6mkR

For me it's named "TS2 Ultimate Collection", but if you have the older Sims 2 version, I guess it will be named "The Sims 2". So either way, rename that folder temporarily, and start up the game. You will notice that initially it will take longer to load a bit, but then you can start a new savefile, and take it from there. Maybe your issues are caused by neighborhood or sim corruption, hence the suggestion of renaming your existing "savefile(s)", if you wish.

If that still does not fix your crashing issues, then the reason might be your computer, or...indeed you could try re-installing:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Uninstall

Make sure that after the initial un-install, to re-boot the computer before re-installing.

Keep us posted if you like! Yess, aye lieeke!
Hi! I'm pretty sure its some corruption going on from what I explained once on another forum some time ago and the answers I got. To be honest I felt sad that the only option I was seeing that would work would be to uninstall so I've sitting all this time pondering my options and finally decided to take the leap and uninstall. Its been months since I explained with any kind of detail what exactly happened and I can't even remember where I posted it(yeah, it was that long ago).
So I'm just going to go with the uninstall option and hope for the best. A fresh start is always nice, though I would like to be able to save my sims and neighborhoods, but with all the corruption, would this be a good idea?
Also! Something I forgot to mention. I've also been having issues with my pets sinking to the floor and getting stuck there for hours and sometimes till death and I saw somebody mention that it was caused by some mod, but I was never able to figure out which one. If somebody could help me with that? I don't want my dogs and cats to die again Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Sat 31 Aug 2019, 15:48

AiHaibara wrote:(...)

Also! Something I forgot to mention. I've also been having issues with my pets sinking to the floor and getting stuck there for hours and sometimes till death and I saw somebody mention that it was caused by some mod, but I was never able to figure out which one. If somebody could help me with that? I don't want my dogs and cats to die again Sad

Yes, there are some troubleshooting steps regarding neighborhood corruption, though I myself am not familiar enough with what can be done in terms of damage mitigation. But generally...if you are able to pinpoint the issue to neighborhood corruption then no, it's not recommended to keep on playing with that savefile. But if someone has a better idea than me, then I'm listening. I found this here to be interesting, but maybe there is more stuff:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Avoiding_Hood_Corruption

Also, how many mods did you install? Did you even install any mods at all? Because if you only installed a small(-ish) number of mods, you'd probably remember what you put in, and take it from there. Which does not seem to be the case with you.

Mods are located under Documents\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\Downloads. If you have lots of stuff in that subfolder I'm afraid you'll have to try to filter them out manually. You can take the slow route, which is basically putting only one mod in at a time, starting up the game, seeing if it works, then if yes, putting the next mod in, etc.

Or you can take a quicker route which is dividing all your mods into half, seeing if the game works, then depending on the outcome splitting your 'active' mods in another half or proceeding with the other half of your mods, etc. Managing custom content can be tedious, but then I would not recommend using too many mods anyway, and in any Sims game.

Edit: I'm not really able to comment on details regarding certain mods; I barely play Sims games nowadays. Occasionally I fire up Sims 2 or Sims 3, but not very often. I used to be "good" especially with TS3, but you know...times change, with all side-effects that come along. Either way, I am only able to give certain general guidelines regarding troubleshooting, but for details you'll have to consult other sources or people than me I'm afraid.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top