Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to revert back to the old Steam library interface. [OBSOLETE]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to revert back to the old Steam library interface. [OBSOLETE] Empty How to revert back to the old Steam library interface. [OBSOLETE]

Post by The_gh0stm4n Thu 09 Jan 2020, 17:38

*Disclaimer & Update* apparently the procedure below doesn't work (anymore), so I will mark the thread as 'obsolete'. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know through e-mail.

Hello everybody,

So if anybody else thinks like me in that regard, and finds the new Steam Library interface atrocious: (the screenshot is not from me, I just did an image search, picked an example, and edited out the account names):

How to revert back to the old Steam library interface. [OBSOLETE] YSYnEAB

There might be a solution! So first of all, let's disable the switch that makes Steam auto-update by itself. Go under where you have Steam installed, on my end it's C:\Program Files\Steam. Find a file Steam.cfg. Back up the file somewhere.

Now edit the contents of the Steam.cfg (open it with Notepad), so that it will look like this.
Code:
BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
BootStrapperForceSelfUpdate=disable

Save the changes to the Steam.cfg when closing the Notepad. If it doesn't let you save the changes, then save the - now modified - Steam.cfg for example on the Desktop. From there, copy that new file back to your Steam installation directory, replacing the old one when prompted by Windows.

If you don't have such a Steam.cfg file, grab it here:
https://is.gd/EaQOx8

So. Now you did this step. Let's now grab the nice little tool here:
https://github.com/zynerd/RevertSteam/releases

And use that "RevertSteam.exe". Choose your Steam installation directory when prompted, and let the tool do its thing. So after I myself did the procedure, I got back the old interface! Very Happy Screenshot from my own client (details blurred out):

How to revert back to the old Steam library interface. [OBSOLETE] 5rLpDHo

And there you go! I shall report back if there are any (unexpected) side-effects of doing this procedure, but so far, after a couple of weeks, everything seems fine. Except that I don't seem to get any Steam updates at all, anymore...? Don't know if it means there are simply no newer Steam updates, or if I messed up something.

I may have to re-install Steam if it becomes an issue later down the road...but good luck to anybody wanting to try this!

Oh my...
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top