Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file..... Empty Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.....

Post by Guest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 06:59

I just recently installed the sims 3 on my new PC. I have installed it correctly, it is patched correctly. Everything was done right. It worked fine until the next day when I tried to play it. The icon for the shortcut on my desktop had changed. It looked like a shortcut for a program that had been deleted. The icon also changed in the games bin folder. When I clicked the link I got the error I mentioned in the subject line:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file..... Screenshot_error

I have never seen this before, or heard of it before. I am pretty good at fixing issues on my own but this one has me stumped. I did several searches online and wasn't able to find anything. Other's that have had the problem were told it sounds like it has to do with administrative permissions to the file/folder. I do have full control of the file according to its security settings. I am set as the 'owner' of the file. I am at a loss here guys, hoping someone might have some advice? I hope I posted this in the right place, sorry in advance if I should have posted elsewhere Sad

**Forgot to mention I have uninstalled and re installed, sadly it stopped working again after 1 day. After uninstalling I did check the registry for any stray sims stuff left behind from the install.**

Back to top Go down

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file..... Empty Re: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.....

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Tue 14 Aug 2012, 09:05

Hello,

Try one of the other launchers in the bin (there are 3) or try to bypass the launcher.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file..... Empty Re: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.....

Post by Admin Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:57

Hello,

Also try (temporary) turning off your Anti-Virus, just to be sure that one is not causing the problem.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top