Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does uninstalling Store Content and replacing them by .packages affect the game?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does uninstalling Store Content and replacing them by .packages affect the game? Empty Does uninstalling Store Content and replacing them by .packages affect the game?

Post by Guest Fri 24 Aug 2012, 00:09

I have dowloaded almost all the content from the store that is in the mediafire account, but Im starting to have a lot of lag and my game is really slow. I read somewhere that you can merge CC in package files, and the less packages you have, the faster the game runs. So I was wondering, if I uninstall my sims3pack CC, and then add it to the game again (in .package format), will it, like, be replaced? Because whenever I uninstall CC, it is replaced by default objects. For example, if I have installed a custom bed, and then I uninstall it, when I run the game again it will be replaced by a normal bed. So my question is, can I prevent CC from being replaced if I change the format of the Store Content?

Also, I have another doubt. Now that seasons is coming out, there will be a new Clothes Category named Outerwear. My question is, will the Store Content be recognised as official Store Content, and the proper clethes be tagged as outerwear? Because there are a lot of clothes that could serve as outerwear, but if they are not tagged, I figure they will not be choosable for outerwear.

Admin edit: Topic moved.

- ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Does uninstalling Store Content and replacing them by .packages affect the game? Empty Re: Does uninstalling Store Content and replacing them by .packages affect the game?

Post by Dracos66 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 01:25

As long as you replace the .package formatted CC before re-entering the game it should not disappear. You do have to be careful converting store items to .package format but there are plenty of tutorials that lead you step by step. Mod the Sims has a ton of tutorials on CC.

Also, store content converted to package format no longer has the store tag and shows up in game as CC with the astrix logo instead of the shopping bag logo.

No one knows yet what the new category is going to do to existing clothes, however for the CC you have in .package format it should be a simple fix by opening the item(s) in s3pe and editing the category tag.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

G4TW RETIRED Moderator Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Does uninstalling Store Content and replacing them by .packages affect the game? Empty Re: Does uninstalling Store Content and replacing them by .packages affect the game?

Post by Guest Fri 24 Aug 2012, 02:16

Okay, but if Store Content formatted to package shows up as CC with the astrix, wouldn't it be considered as a whole different object? My main concern is not having to replace every Store object, hairstyle or clothes in the game that would be "uninstalled", and then added again to the game in a whole new format (whihout re-entering the game in the middle of the process)

And I have a new doubt now: do .package files really reduce lag?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Fri 24 Aug 2012, 06:18

Package files can reduce lag if they are kept at a reasonable amount and size, it all depends on what information you keep from the sims3pack (i.e. thumbnails) when you convert it to package format, how many you have installed, whether or not they are packed correctly, etc. If you really want to learn about how package formatted items free up your game resources, I would suggest reading through tutorials and asking questions on any points you don't understand. The Mod the Sims link in my first response to you is a great place to start learning, several of the modders there have been working with the sims since the first sims game mods and are willing to help you learn what to do and how to do it.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : AOE I,II,III; Diablo ; Diablo II:LOD ; Spellforce ; Neverwinter Nights ; Planescape Torment ; Sims 1,2 ,3 & 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2012, 01:32

I have read some posts on Mod The Sims, but it is way too advanced for me. I don't really want to become an expert in converting files, I just want to know if converting sims3packs (after uninstalling) to packages will make those objects, hairs or clothes be replaced in the game. I want to reduce lag, but if that means I have to re-furnish every home with the new package converted CC, or re-style every sim, then I think I will have to look for another alternative.

Edit: I think I may not be explaining myself very clearly. I have Store Content that is installed and recognised as such. If I uninstall certain hairstyle, whenever I re-enter the game, it will be replaced by Base Game hairstyle, for example. What i want to prevent is this from happening. If I uninstall that certain hairstyle, then format it to .package, add it to the game, will it be recognised as the same object from the Store Content? Will it be replaced by a Base Game hairstyle? Or it will be a whole new object added to the game, therefore making the Store hairstyle be replaced by a Base Game one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 25 Aug 2012, 02:27

No, it is the same object as the sims3pack file and as long as you place the package in the Mods folder before loading the game back it will not be replaced with a base game hair. At least this has been my experience when converting sims3pack files to package files.

That being said, I do not do this for all sims3pack CC, only for those items that, to me at least, are placed in the wrong category, are priced to high, etc.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2012, 02:59

Ok, thanks a lot. I will come back in a few days, or weeks... after I finish re-downloading and re-formatting all my CC.

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 25 Aug 2012, 09:29

Hello,

I have actually done this myself, at least I started to. If you want to do it right, you should really go through all of your extracted packages deleting the junkfiles like thumbnails before combining them into larger packages. It is a lot of work, which is why I didn't get around to finishing yet.
You don't necessarily have to combine them, but you'll see that you'll end up with way too many packages and they'll be unrecognizable by their file name.
I've used this method, the last paragraph.

You may also consider using CCmagic. It's not as much work but accomplishes about the same thing.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2012, 15:57

I was considering downloading Merlin, because it seems like a better way to handle CC. I already have CC Magic, and it hasn't helped a lot. It just helps me to classify my sims3packs. Some time ago I converted my CC to packages, and I ended having about thrice as much files as I had in the beginning (from about 400 sims3packs, to over 1500 packages). What I don't like about CC Magic is that it doesn't really uninstall CC when I delete it, so I have to go through all my files looking for the right file name and deleting it manually. Right now I have so much CC that I don't want to uninstall some objects specifically, because it would take me ages to find it. I have heard that the MediaFire Account search bar is not working right, is it? Because if it isn't, I wouldn't be able to search for specific Store items and dowload what I will really use. I just don't want to download all the content and have this problem again. Eventhough the search filter is not working, how can I know the name of a specific Store item, and then find it in the Mediafire account?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat 25 Aug 2012, 17:41

Hello,

No that's correct, MediaFire's search function is currently not working. Not much we can do about it, since it's a third-party website.
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Aug 2012, 01:48

I am now in the process of renaming the just created packages files. Is it normal to have duplicates? I am using Merlin to rename them, and I also come up with a lot of files saying "Not Found" in the description or in the name. Does this mean those are thumbnails?

I encountered a problem. I was testing if hairstyles got replaced if I changed the file from sims3pack to package. I had a certain hairstyle I wanted to test, so I put it in the Mods folder (with the resource file, under a "Packages" folder) and after that I uninstalled the Compilation in which this certain hairstyle was included (from the Store). I entered the game, and all of the objects from that compilation where still in the game, including the hairstyle. After that, I decided I would create a new Sims 3 Folder, so I deleted (and backuped) the existing one. The game then created a new folder. I put my saves file in the folder, and the hairstyle I was trying was put in the Mods folder, again. I entered the game, and every CC object was gone, of course, because I had started a "Clean Game". But the hairstyle was gone too. I supposed, as I put the hairstyle under the Mods folder, it should have replaced the same object that was in Sims3pack. Why is this happening? Can I prevent everyhting from being replaced by base game objects?

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 01 Sep 2012, 08:20

Hello,

Did you put them in the mods folder, or in mods/packages?
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 16:59

Hi, I put them in the Mods/Packages folder. Could it affect the fact that the sims3pack hairstyle was in a set, and the package hairstyle is not?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 17:05

nick_123 wrote:Hi, I put them in the Mods/Packages folder. Could it affect the fact that the sims3pack hairstyle was in a set, and the package hairstyle is not?

It may if you didn't get all the support files for the hair style. Extracting a single items from a set, from my experience, is often hit and miss so you may want to try extracting it again and carefully look through each of the files to make sure you don't miss all the related item files.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 17:10

Okay, I still have about 1000 files to rename but I may finish today. I have found duplicates, do I have ti erase them or they are necessary? I have named them the same. For example, I found the hairtsyle and named them both "Hairstyle1". When I rename them (In merlin), in the preview at the left changes the color hair from brown to white, or backwards. Does this mean I am replacing the item?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 17:17

Files with the same name (duplicates) are usually the item and its CAS styles so they should be combined into one package (preferably with s3pe) before naming the package file.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 17:21

So I should combine them in s3pe before renaming them in Merlin? How can I know two or more items belong to the same file?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 20:39

You have to open each file in s3pe and make a note of each file that has the same style.

I can hear you now...WHAT?!! lol, it is a bit tedious but the files usually work like they're supposed to if you have patience in matching and combining them.

You also don't have to use Merlin to rename package files, s3pe will let you do that as well.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 21:15

I don't fully understand how s3pe works but now I am almost finishing renaming EVERY package file out of the Store (They are about 3500, so this has taken me quite a time), so then I can combine them in larger packages. But now you are saying I have to combine every package specifically? I really don't have energies to start all over again. So how can I combine the matching files into larger packages without messing the files (using Merlin)? Can I just combine all the files into packages that not necessarily are matching? For example, I was thinking about regrouping every object into one package file (or more than one because I have read the limit is 100), and regrouping every hairstyle in another package file. Will this mess the files?

Back to top Go down

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ Sat 01 Sep 2012, 21:27

Hello,

I think It'll be ok if you just add all matching packages to the same combined package. But to be sure, make a backup of what you have now, or wait for Dracos66's reply.
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW SUPER Adminatrix

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 22:05

Here is the way that I do my package files.

All CAS items (clothes, hairs, etc) go into my Custom_CAS_mm-yy.package

All Deco items go into Custom_Decor_mm-yy.package

All Build Items go into Custom_Build_set_No*****.package

Each item type is put in its own package (Appliances, Furniture, etc) along with my date stamp (mm-yy) or No. set (i.e. *_No2031.package). However when getting ready to combine them I always test each item package I want included by itself first. This way if it crashes the game, lags it, or just plain won't work I can mark it as Non-Usable and either try fixing it or deleting it. It also saves time because I don't have to try figuring out which item(s) from a larger package are messing up my game world.

It takes longer to do it this way, but in the long run it pays off because I have less problems with my CC.

On a side note, the only thing I use Merlin for is categorizing my CC, I do not use it to edit or create package formatted CC as s3pe is much more comprehensive in its handling of package files. IMO.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 22:09

That looks like a good way to organise package files. May I ask how test them before combining them?

I have noticed each hairstyle has a duplicate. One has the hair white and the other brown. I suppose in order for these to work, they must be combined?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracos66 Sat 01 Sep 2012, 22:14

I test my package file by copying them into the Mods/Probation folder, launching the game and seeing if they show up correctly, load correctly and interact correctly. If they do I move them to their designated combination folder, if they don't I move them to another folder I have set up for trying to correct issues with CC.

Yes, combine the duplicates into a single file. From what I've been able to discern the white is the reflective/highlights layer and the brown is the color layer when it come to hair CC.
Dracos66
Dracos66
G4TW RETIRED Moderator
Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Sep 2012, 22:16

okay, thanks for all the tips! I will try to fix the disaster I have created with my CC now

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top