Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help with Windows

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need help with Windows Empty Need help with Windows

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 08:21

I got a brand new desktop for Christmas. It came preloaded with Windows 8. After about a day I started getting the dreaded blue screen telling me that was a problem and it restarted my computer (System_Service_Exception). After a couple days of this I took it back to the store it came from and got another desktop, a whole different brand. (The first was a Gateway the second an HP) After two days of it working fine, I am once again getting the blue screen. The only things I have put on my desktop is Tuneup Utilities 2013 and my Sims 3 games. I download my Sims 3 games for this website and I have never had any problems on any other computer with them (I do own a copy of the original The Sims 3 and Ambitions). The only thing I can think is that this a problem with Windows 8. I am thinking of downgrading my Windows 8 on my desktop to Windows 7. I have already downloaded Windows 7 off of this website. So I have two questions. 1. Is downgrading my Windows 8 to Windows 7 a good idea? 2. Can I and how do I use a USB flash drive instead of burning Windows 7 to a disk? If I can, could someone please tell me step, by step how to do this. I would be most grateful for any help with this. I am so frustrated. I have never had this many problems with a new computer before. Heck I have never even had this problem with used computers either. The main reason I wanted a Desktop was so I could play more Sims 3 expansion packs. My laptop will only play two of them with the graphics turned all the way down.

Thank you very much,
Tonia

Back to top Go down

Need help with Windows Empty Re: Need help with Windows

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 13:01

If it's brand new, RMA it and get a new one. Blue screens this early, regardless of what the error is, is never a good sign. Keep taking it back until your warranty expires if you have to - you paid for that warranty (over paid, I should say), use it. Now to answer your questions.

1) That's a matter of opinion. Most techs will tell you that Win8 is crap and that if you're not on a handheld device (tablet, phone, etc) or a software developer to use Win7 if you can - and I agree. The gaming gurus will also give you reasons to do so from a performance standpoint. So yes, you should be able to downgrade perfectly fine. Note however that some drivers offered by the manufacturer may not be compatible with Win7 - but googling around will typically find solutions for getting everything to work properly.

2) http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_install_windows_7_beta_a_usb_key (it says it's for Win7 Beta [which amazingly, I still use on a couple computers lol] - but the instructions work for any version and release of windows)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 13:37

I just got a question for all of you... Since the computer was made for using Windows 8 , wouldn't it cause a problem if you Downgrade it to Windows 7?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 13:39

Not necessarily. The issues revolving around downgrading on such machines lies with the drivers. Most drivers don't care if they're on Win7 or Win8, but there may be a few that would need some convincing. That's where the "googling around" comes into play with what I said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Dec 2012, 21:03

I'm going to try downgrading it before I take it back. If that doesn't work than I'll just reformat it and return it. I've had several new computers over the years and never had this problem. I'm thinking it might be a Windows 8 thing. It's a huge pain in the butt packing everything up and taking it back. It's happened on two different computers that are two different brands. The only thing they have in common is Windows 8. I googled system_service_exception and it seems there are a lot of people having this problem with Windows 8.

I just have one more questions. How do I know what drivers I need to download once I install Windows 7? It is a desktop so I don't need to worry about wireless drivers.

Thank you so much for your reply. I've been so frustrated about this.

//EDIT

I have one more question. I went out and got some blank DVD's and
burned Windows 7 on it. Now I have a Windows 7 boot disk. My question
is how to I boot from CD on a HP desktop? I've tried several buttons
and nothing is working.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 02 Jan 2013, 23:44

Spankydoodles wrote:I'm going to try downgrading it before I take it back. If that doesn't work than I'll just reformat it and return it. I've had several new computers over the years and never had this problem. I'm thinking it might be a Windows 8 thing. It's a huge pain in the butt packing everything up and taking it back. It's happened on two different computers that are two different brands. The only thing they have in common is Windows 8. I googled system_service_exception and it seems there are a lot of people having this problem with Windows 8.

I just have one more questions. How do I know what drivers I need to download once I install Windows 7? It is a desktop so I don't need to worry about wireless drivers.

Thank you so much for your reply. I've been so frustrated about this.

//EDIT

I have one more question. I went out and got some blank DVD's and
burned Windows 7 on it. Now I have a Windows 7 boot disk. My question
is how to I boot from CD on a HP desktop? I've tried several buttons
and nothing is working.
Hello,

Just check what hardware your PC has and then go to the manufacturer's website to get the latest drivers. Don't trust Windows Update for the latest drivers too much. Especially graphic card drivers should be acquired manually.

Try [F8] during POST (While PC is starting, keep pressing that button).
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male