Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transferring my Sims 3 game to a new PC?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Transferring my Sims 3 game to a new PC? Empty Transferring my Sims 3 game to a new PC?

Post by Guest Wed 07 May 2014, 07:39

This may sound stupid but is it possible to transfer a full game over to a new PC by copying it? I went to great lengths to install and mod my Sims 3 game and just bought a new PC, do I have to reinstall the whole thing or can I just copy it over and add the registry files?

If it is possible to add the registry files, how would I do that? I saw a tool called registry helper but I haven't found any info on it yet. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Back to top Go down

Transferring my Sims 3 game to a new PC? Empty Re: Transferring my Sims 3 game to a new PC?

Post by Admin Wed 07 May 2014, 11:31

Hello,

Yes, it theoretically is possible, but I do not recommend doing so, as it can cause problems in the future. Your PC might not recognize the copied files as actually installed, even after copying the Registry values. (There are a lot of, sometimes "hidden" in different folders, Registry keys)

I highly recommend that you just copy the downloaded .rar files to your new PC, extract them using WinRAR and then reinstall them on the new system. It might take a while - copying them from old to new will also take quite a while, so why not just install them - but it's definitely worth it.
You can remove the extracted folders afterwards, and store the .rar files for later use.

Note that savegames can be exchanged between computers safely at all times: Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3(\Saves)
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Transferring my Sims 3 game to a new PC? Empty Re: Transferring my Sims 3 game to a new PC?

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 07 May 2014, 21:37

Cosby123 wrote:This may sound stupid but is it possible to transfer a full game over to a new PC by copying it? I went to great lengths to install and mod my Sims 3 game and just bought a new PC, do I have to reinstall the whole thing or can I just copy it over and add the registry files?

If it is possible to add the registry files, how would I do that? I saw a tool called registry helper but I haven't found any info on it yet. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

//MOVED

Hello,

The person who made this "registry Helper"-tool hasn't logged in and posted on the forum for quite a while now (and it's unlikely that this person will "return"). Besides, it's unclear if that tool will even work on the current patch version of The Sims 3 (v1.67). 

You can and should definitely save/backup your "user data", which is basically the whole folder called "The Sims 3", located in My Documents/Electronic Arts. In that "The Sims 3"-folder, there are your savefiles, mods and any other CC you may have installed. You can easily transfer this folder by copying it to e.g. an external hard-drive, and then copying it into the SAME (corresponding) location on your new computer - namely My Documents/Electronic Arts

As for the actual installation of the games, please install them in the "classic way" - even if it takes a bit more time. There is no point in messing up with the registry just to "save" a little bit of time. Good luck for now !
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top