Old ® Games4theworld Forum / Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transferring Sims 3 To Another Computer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Transferring Sims 3 To Another Computer? Empty Transferring Sims 3 To Another Computer?

Post by Guest Fri 05 Jul 2013, 08:47

I'm getting a new PC and I'm planning on transferring my game with the saves and expansions etc. to it. I have store bought copies of the base game and generations, then I have Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, Showtime, Seasons and University life all downloaded from here.
I've been searching all around for how to do it, but I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Can I just copy and paste everything onto a flashdrive or CD and do it that way?

Someone please explain.
Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Transferring Sims 3 To Another Computer? Empty Re: Transferring Sims 3 To Another Computer?

Post by J.T. Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:41

pocketmonkeyhampster wrote:I'm getting a new PC and I'm planning on transferring my game with the saves and expansions etc. to it. I have store bought copies of the base game and generations, then I have Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, Showtime, Seasons and University life all downloaded from here.
I've been searching all around for how to do it, but I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Can I just copy and paste everything onto a flashdrive or CD and do it that way?

Someone please explain.
Thanks!

Hello,

If you want to move everything to another computer, you will need a 40+GB external hard drive. Move all the folders of the base game and the expansion packs in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (or The Sims 3 (Ambitions, Late Night, etc...). Also move this folder C:\Users\(your computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. Remember to create a blank folder called Electronic Arts in both C:\Porgram Files and C:\Users\(your computer name) afterwards.

If this really irritates you, why don't you reinstall the base game and all expansion packs in the new computer and move all the content in these folders: C:\Users\(my computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves and C:\Users\(my computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods (if you have this folder, move the entire folder) and also C:\Users\(my computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads (which consists of your sims3packs installed, remember to install them afterwards).
J.T.
J.T.
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP
Discharged with Honors
G4TW RETIRED Helper / VIP Discharged with Honors

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)

Male

Back to top Go down

Transferring Sims 3 To Another Computer? Empty Re: Transferring Sims 3 To Another Computer?

Post by Guest Wed 10 Jul 2013, 21:16

Thanks, I will try this when I get my new PC!

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n Wed 10 Jul 2013, 21:26

cat2006house wrote:If you want to move everything to another computer, you will need a 40+GB external hard drive. Move all the folders of the base game and the expansion packs in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (or The Sims 3 (Ambitions, Late Night, etc...). Also move this folder C:\Users\(your computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. Remember to create a blank folder called Electronic Arts in both C:\Porgram Files and C:\Users\(your computer name) afterwards.

If this really irritates you, why don't you reinstall the base game and all expansion packs in the new computer and move all the content in these folders: C:\Users\(my computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves and C:\Users\(my computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods (if you have this folder, move the entire folder) and also C:\Users\(my computer name)\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads (which consists of your sims3packs installed, remember to install them afterwards).

I partially object to that. Wink

Simply moving the folders from C:\Program files(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 onto the new computer will not work; perhaps this might work in Mac computers, but not on Windows systems. What is correct though, is to backup the folder "The Sims 3" (from My documents/Electronic Arts), with its savefiles, mods and custom content. Besides these game folders, the game needs a lot of registry entries. Maybe it's possible to somehow "transfer" the registry data too, but unless you know what you're doing, I would not mess up with that.

@ pocketmonkeyhampster: you will still have to re-install all the stuff on the new computer. And then of course put back in "The Sims 3"-folder (so that you have your old savefiles, mods and custom content on your computer).

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

G4TW RETIRED Forum Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA Online, Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, The Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top